Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2023, 12:47 PM   #1

Chassis Battery switch

I just went to crank up my RV. It has new batteries all over, It would not turn over. I then charged it with a battery charger and now its running. I talked to the battery installer at a RV repair facility, he stated that they will lose a charge sitting, and that I need to disconnect the battery's while in storage, if I don't have power. Ok done all that, however I have a 150 amp switch and a 120 amp switch, just below the 150. Are both of these Chassis battery switches
gscott258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2023, 05:05 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
What year model is your Aspire (from your profile), and how long did it sit without power or starting it. Sounds like your coach may have battery disconnect switches for the House and the Chassis batteries. Were these left on or off while in storage?

My Aspire is a 2013 model, and it only had a Chassis Battery disconnect switch. (I installed a house battery disconnect switch) If I ever need to leave the coach un-plugged for more than several days I turn it off or the house batteries will run down in a few weeks from some of the electronics that draw power, even with the 12V switch off and inverter off. I am not sure how long the Chassis Batteries would last without being plugged in while stored, but I would think a while if they were in good shape.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 07:35 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don’t currently store without power but I did store my 17 that way a few times.
If I needed to store without power I would turn off both the breakers at the chassis batteries. And turn off the house battery disconnect switches.

You still might have some slow battery drain from some things that are wired before the battery disconnect.

My 17 was fine for 6 weeks. Except the time when I forgot to get all the ice out of the ice maker. The ice of course melted and ended up in the bottom of the refrigerator as a mess to clean up.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 07:41 PM   #4

If you want long storage results, like 4 months, pull the cables. Too many parasitic draws before the switches. Lead acids don’t hold up well to year long sitting like a agm will. And remember it take 8 or 10 hours to charge a depleted battery. A short drive isn’t going to be enough.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:41 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra made a few changes for storage switches depending on the year of the coach.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 06:01 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra did not have a true house battery cutoff until the 2017 model year and beyond. The classics like your 2013 do not have a factory installed house battery cutoff.

The inverter remote is the biggest power vampire, pulling about 0.3 amps which will drain the house batteries in a few weeks. Turning the inverter/charger "off" does not eliminate this drain.

Here is my diagram for adding a house battery cutoff switch. Several classic owners I know of have installed this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18in...w?usp=drivesdk

The CO2/Propane detector is wired via a fuse in the electric compartment just forward of the left front wheel and can be pulled for storage. The Aquahot also receives power from the same fuse block, but I don't believe it has any parasitic draw.

Magnum advises not to pull the negative cable to disconnect the house bank as certain Magnum accessories have a separate ground and high power could shunt thru it.

Not sure about the 150A and 120A switches you mentioned. Do these have yellow handles? Where are they located? Those ratings are inadequate for a battery or inverter cutoff. They are probably breakers for a subsystem.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 05:02 AM   #7

Chassis Battery Switch

To all who replies, My Entegra Aspire (2018) Chassis switches are in fact in last compartment on passenger side. There are 2 switches a 150amp and 120 amp. I talked to Entegra yesterday, and both are chassis disconnects. I added my year and model to the original post, but I guess it didn't work
Thanks for all of your input, and maybe this post may help someone down the road
gscott258 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis, switch