RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #15

Spartan just replaced my starter on Friday. I stopped for fuel and there was nothing when I turned the key when trying to leave. Glad it was a slow day at the gas station, since I sat at the pumps most of the day while a mechanic with a new starter came from about 100 miles away. Thanks to Spartan customer care- oh by the way- My coach was 6 days from warranty expiry. Lucky for me??
gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo123316 View Post
Spartan just replaced my starter on Friday...Lucky for me??
Theme of the thread...another 2014 with a bad starter!
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:16 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
Theme of the thread...another 2014 with a bad starter!
Moral to the thread.....carry a hammer to whack the starter.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #18

Yup... THREE times for me so far... in 1.5 years. new 2015 Anthem 44SL.

First time tow truck caused about $4000 in body and step damage and alignment problems.

Then Precision Paint was fixing the body work and left the coach unplugged and wrecked my house batteries. Then they also did some house warranty work, and connected wires incorrectly in my dashboard, which also daisy chained into five other broken things. and on and on and on.

Then no crank in a Costco parking lot at 8:00pm in Nowheresville, OH. Banged stuff, pulled and pushed fuses.... Cranked and started...

That lasted for about 6 months until.... jump in to drive into a driveway off the shoulder of the road in Nowheresville, Ontario Canada... Booom... no crank.

Get underneath, bang, boom, fuses in, out, jiggle wires... Fixed...

Back into driveway... dead... no crank.

They send a mobile tech because I FORBID it being towed... tech shows up... starts firsts try! of course.

I jump in the next morning at zero dark thrity to drive to Chicago... you guessed it... no crank.

Get underneath, tap, jiggle... get it going.

Get home in Wisconsin that night... get in the next am, no crank.

You get the picture...

I ultimately found a thin, maybe 12 gauge or 14 gauge black wire with a Harbor Freight crimp, non heat shrink connector on the ground stud that was corroded and the wire broke out of the connector. I stripped and put it on the stud and it cranks again.

Took it to Camping World in Island Lake, IL.... and... you guessed it.... they wrecked my house batteries again! Left the coach unplugged. Had it for 6 WEEKS due to nothing but gross incompetence.

Long story long... I get home and.... my RADIATOR is pooched... send time in 1.5 years. I'm already running a replaced radiator.

With all of this having been said, I am going to Spartan in Charlotte to get them to replace the radiator and truly inspect and diagnose the starter issue in November right after Thanksgiving.

There's DEFINITELY something up with the starter situation. I am not certain if it's the starter itself (doubt it). I suspect it is wiring related.

Good luck is about all I can say and boy oh boy.... I have ZERO ZERO ZERO confidence in RV repair people or companies.

The only real negative that I have had since owning the coach is the incredibly incompetent unbelievably bad service that I have encountered so far.

I could talk about my experiences for HOURS and all listening would have their jaws dropped and gasping if you heard my stories.

The photo is of the 'repaired' small black wire on the starter that I found broken. They STILL did not use a heat shrink connector! They sprayed it with some anti corrosion at least, but that's not a rock solid 20 year fix for a mission critical wire that's needed in order to get the vehicle to start. IF that small wire is the a critical wire to get the engine to crank, I would definitely change that.

I DO have confidence in Spartan's ability to correct and FIX the problem.

Vent done.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7276.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	142695  
derba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:16 AM   #19

I will probably get flamed for this but I NEVER turn off the coach while we are on a trip. I start the coach when we pull out from home or a campsite and until we pull into wherever we are going to stay for the night I leave the coach running. At fuel stops, eating lunch, going into Walmart, signing up at the campground, whatever. This does not fix the bad starter issue but at least I will not be stuck on the road.

Doug
AspireDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by derba View Post
Yup...Vent done.

Thanks.
THAT was a truly epic rant, and having dealt with RV repair folks myself, I do appreciate it.

After I told my story, Spartan replaced my starter without even batting an eye. While you're there, I would spend the $125 on their full inspection. When they inspected mine they found thousands of dollars worth of repairs needing done, and did them promptly under warranty. Can't say enough about the work that Spartan does at their factory service shop...very nice.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by derba View Post
Yup... THREE times for me so far... in 1.5 years. new 2015 Anthem 44SL.

First time tow truck caused about $4000 in body and step damage and alignment problems.

Then Precision Paint was fixing the body work and left the coach unplugged and wrecked my house batteries. Then they also did some house warranty work, and connected wires incorrectly in my dashboard, which also daisy chained into five other broken things. and on and on and on.

Then no crank in a Costco parking lot at 8:00pm in Nowheresville, OH. Banged stuff, pulled and pushed fuses.... Cranked and started...

That lasted for about 6 months until.... jump in to drive into a driveway off the shoulder of the road in Nowheresville, Ontario Canada... Booom... no crank.

Get underneath, bang, boom, fuses in, out, jiggle wires... Fixed...

Back into driveway... dead... no crank.

They send a mobile tech because I FORBID it being towed... tech shows up... starts firsts try! of course.

I jump in the next morning at zero dark thrity to drive to Chicago... you guessed it... no crank.

Get underneath, tap, jiggle... get it going.

Get home in Wisconsin that night... get in the next am, no crank.

You get the picture...

I ultimately found a thin, maybe 12 gauge or 14 gauge black wire with a Harbor Freight crimp, non heat shrink connector on the ground stud that was corroded and the wire broke out of the connector. I stripped and put it on the stud and it cranks again.

Took it to Camping World in Island Lake, IL.... and... you guessed it.... they wrecked my house batteries again! Left the coach unplugged. Had it for 6 WEEKS due to nothing but gross incompetence.

Long story long... I get home and.... my RADIATOR is pooched... send time in 1.5 years. I'm already running a replaced radiator.

With all of this having been said, I am going to Spartan in Charlotte to get them to replace the radiator and truly inspect and diagnose the starter issue in November right after Thanksgiving.

There's DEFINITELY something up with the starter situation. I am not certain if it's the starter itself (doubt it). I suspect it is wiring related.

Good luck is about all I can say and boy oh boy.... I have ZERO ZERO ZERO confidence in RV repair people or companies.

The only real negative that I have had since owning the coach is the incredibly incompetent unbelievably bad service that I have encountered so far.

I could talk about my experiences for HOURS and all listening would have their jaws dropped and gasping if you heard my stories.

The photo is of the 'repaired' small black wire on the starter that I found broken. They STILL did not use a heat shrink connector! They sprayed it with some anti corrosion at least, but that's not a rock solid 20 year fix for a mission critical wire that's needed in order to get the vehicle to start. IF that small wire is the a critical wire to get the engine to crank, I would definitely change that.

I DO have confidence in Spartan's ability to correct and FIX the problem.

Vent done.

Thanks.

Wow.. I am tired after reading this... you definitely been struck with the bad motorhome luck... I have a 14 and no starter issues but reading these post at least makes me educated to what to do if I get stuck somewhere.. break out the hammer and find the starter which by the way where would one find a starter on these rigs?
thanks for posting your experience.
The whole rv industry is a un regulated cluster of incompetent people... service and sales. Camping world takes the cake...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:22 PM   #22

Anyone know the brand starters are used on Cummins 450 8.9? Had a starter issue today and would like to replace with a Denso brand. It was late when we arrived home and could not see what is on it from the factory.
Thx, GrAndy
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Hate to hear that. If you carry a spare, you will never need one again.
Chuck,
If I see you going down the road with a tri-axle stacker, I will know what is in it..... Replacement Parts
Old 11-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireDoug View Post
I will probably get flamed for this but I NEVER turn off the coach while we are on a trip. I start the coach when we pull out from home or a campsite and until we pull into wherever we are going to stay for the night I leave the coach running. At fuel stops, eating lunch, going into Walmart, signing up at the campground, whatever. This does not fix the bad starter issue but at least I will not be stuck on the road.

Doug
No flames from me!!! I do exactly the same thing. After reading this whole thread again I will continue with my bad habit! And crawl under the coach first chance to check that small black wire on the starter! Has anyone figured out what that small black wire is for or do I need to go do more research?
AWC
Old 11-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS30 View Post
Anyone know the brand starters are used on Cummins 450 8.9? Had a starter issue today and would like to replace with a Denso brand. It was late when we arrived home and could not see what is on it from the factory.

Thx, GrAndy

It may pay to check the grounds to the starter before condemning the starter.I notice you have a 2014 coach may have some corrosion sitting in.
Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:30 AM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
My starter was a Prestolite, installed by Spartan, not Cummins according to Charlie Fisher at Spartan.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #27

Had the similar problems this summer in Wyoming. First time mine would not start a Coachnet response solved the problem by moving wires and a good whack. Cranked for a couple of weeks and died in Truckee CA. Finally got Cummins tech who found a BAD factory wire crimp that only has two strands still attached. New crimp and all was good.

Agree with mostly inexperienced service techs unless it is a Cummins or Spartan facility.

Alabama Travelers
2015 44B Entegra Aspire
2015 Jeep Wrangler

Princess & Ranger
al-travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not on an RV, no, but I also drive cars.. I had one car that liked to eat starter drive gears,, I got so I could field strip the starter, replace the Drive Gear (Bendix) and re-assemble it in less than 15 minutes beside the road!!!!

I eventually fixed the car so it did not eat them,,,,, Then the car suffered a drug overdose (The shuttle driver from Sentry Drugs ran over it) and died.

A new car had an oil leak, it ran down on the starter and gummed up the works.

Tags
chassis, starter