Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Chassis starters

Anyone else had trouble with their starter? I am in the shop, after being towed, and they tell me the starter is bad. It won't turn over, much less start. A starter was just put on this unit back in May. It was not noisy, grinding, and gave no indication there was a problem of any sort. Just got ready to leave the campground yesterday, and nothing! I am about to pull what few hairs I have left out. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #2

Your profie shows a 06 and 14 MH.

If 06, a starter replacement may have been needed. They may have used a rebuilt and that's what failed. Happens often.

If it's a 14 model year, something's wrong or somethings being done wrong.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #3

Don't know about starters on coaches , but replacement starters, we installed in automotive, came with a year warranty. Do you have the bill from the previous install?
Old 10-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
It is a 2014 Entegra, bought new. Still under warranty.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougTex View Post
It is a 2014 Entegra, bought new. Still under warranty.
Hi Doug, if you reach out to Spartan Customer Service, we would be more than happy to try and help you address this issue. Please call 800.543.4277. Thank you!
SpartanSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:06 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
It isn't a matter of getting it fixed. Spartan towed me in on Monday, the shop checked wiring yesterday, and a new starter is being overnighted and installed today. Just seemed odd to have two bad starters in a six month period. Luck of the draw? Maybe. Just wondered if I was the only one with this problem. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:45 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I have seen a couple of other posts, one just recently where he was stranded in a Loves parking lot, where the the starters had to be smacked to get going. I believe all were making appointments to have the starters changed. Are the starters Cummins or Spartan installed?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:44 AM   #8

Had this exact problem as well, as have an inordinate number of others. I know of at least four...that's a lot out of 2000 coaches. Most seem to be 2014's (mine is). There seems to be a pattern.

The starter is Cummins installed. Spartan replaced mine without a question, even though they could not replicate the problem. They did so based on my say so.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:04 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I had my starter replaced for the same problem during the first 6 mos on my 14.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #10

I am inSalt Lake City at the moment having a new starter put in. Pulled in for diesel and the coach would not start again. Whacked the starter and was able to move it, no tow. Has started a few times since but Spartan sent a new starter that's going in now. Frustrating with less than 8000 miles on. 2016 Anthem.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:15 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
We are back on the road again. Monday was spent finding a tow truck that could pick up the coach safely. Tuesday was spent waiting for Spartan tech to call repair shop to confirm it was a starter problem. Spartan said they would overnight a starter, but according to Shane at Spartan, it was shipped two day service instead. Picked up the coach Thursday morning, and we are now in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Hopefully this issue is resolved. But it will take awhile for me to be confident in shutting the engine down in a busy place such as refueling. Two bad starters in 6 months makes me nervous !
Old 10-24-2016, 06:43 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
We are back on the road again. Monday was spent finding a tow truck that could pick up the coach safely. Tuesday was spent waiting for Spartan tech to call repair shop to confirm it was a starter problem. Spartan said they would overnight a starter, but according to Shane at Spartan, it was shipped two day service instead. Picked up the coach Thursday morning, and we are now in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Hopefully this issue is resolved. But it will take awhile for me to be confident in shutting the engine down in a busy place such as refueling. Two bad starters in 6 months makes me nervous !
Hate to hear that. If you carry a spare, you will never need one again.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Hate to hear that. If you carry a spare, you will never need one again.
Isn't that the truth!!!

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Doug, glad to hear the issue was finally resolved! This is Rob, Linda and I met you at Tom Sawyer ('17 Aspire). You freaked out some other Entegra folks arriving as you were being towed away! Hope it is fixed for good this time!

voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, starter