Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check Engine Light

I know Spartan has taken a lot hits from owners, some justified and others not so much. My motorhome chassis warranty went out in Feb, 2020 and in March I had a check engine light come on. I called Spartan gave them the fault codes. The tech told me it was a defective DEF tank unit and they would pay to have it repaired. I was surprised Spartan would pay for the repair, but apparently it comes under the environment part of their warranty. I am waiting for this pandemic to get somewhat better here in MS, and then I will look for a repair shop. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS ISSUE?
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2020, 09:57 AM   #2

DEF is part of the emission systems, so that usually has a 5/50 warranty.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #3

I think it actually part of Cummins 5 year warranty.

Also, what was the actual Spartan fault code that you got? SPN XXXX

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:14 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fault Codes

SPN3364 FMI9
SPN3031 FMI9
SPN1761 FMI9

Go to Cummins Quick Serve and it will translate the codes to Cummins 3868, 4572, and 6585. Def tank head.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:09 AM   #5

Yes, I had the same fault codes last summer when Spartan could not get the repair parts fast enough to supply the demand. Waited almost a month for the part and had it installed at a Cummins shop all under warranty.
jqueener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:40 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqueener View Post
Yes, I had the same fault codes last summer when Spartan could not get the repair parts fast enough to supply the demand. Waited almost a month for the part and had it installed at a Cummins shop all under warranty.
Did you have any problems driving to the Repair facility? Spartan said I might experience engine degrading until I get it fixed. I would need to drive about 70 miles to get to Cummins. Once they got the part about how many hours did it take to do the repair?

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:21 AM   #7

The maddening thing about Cummins fault codes is that even Cummins cant tell you how much of a problem it is and at what point, you run the risk of the de-rating process. This has happened to me three times with two different problems. The important issue is that the FMI is 19 and in all of my cases, I was far away from a Cummins shop and had an FMI 19 fault code. That code is of the middle level of concern. I dont remember what the terms for each level are, but there are at least three the correspond essentially to mild problem, intermediate problem, and serious problem, and the de-rate possibilities move up with each level, and the maddening thing is that neither Spartan nor Cummins are able to give you clear advice on how far you can go before you get the de-rate. There is a higher level, and that is a shut down level, which takes everything out of your hands and simply shuts down the engine. In my three cases, the FMI-19 let me drive 50 miles in one case to get to a Cummins shop, and I found an alternative closer shop in the other case that was only about 10 miles. In my third situation, a fuel rail supply problem, I was about 80 miles from a Cummins shop. In all three situations, I wanted to avoid a tow (one of my situations were problems with DEF pump, one was a problem with insufficient fuel delivery, and the final one was an engine cooling problem.

I certainly can't give you advise since Cummins and Spartan dont feel that they can give you advice, but my DEF pump problem required me to drive 50-100 miles to a shop and I just chose to give it a try as I would personally do just about anything to avoid a tow.

There really should be some means to define the problem and how long the ECM is going to tolerate continuation of each state before reaching that point. It can't be random..... its just that the engineers and CS people dont want to give us that information.

Gary\
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
Did you have any problems driving to the Repair facility? Spartan said I might experience engine degrading until I get it fixed. I would need to drive about 70 miles to get to Cummins. Once they got the part about how many hours did it take to do the repair?

Thanks.

No, my repair facility was only 20 miles away. The install was completed in less than a day. Spartan had shipped the part to me, not the repair shop.
jqueener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When mine came on it went immediately into Degrade. My dealer sent out his tech with their computer and deleted the code and drove it over 100 miles to fix it.

Cummins told me that I could drive it in the Degrade but would probably be limited to about 5 mph. Ugh. That's why I called dealer and they reacted quickly.

Wish you luck - Richard
Old 04-20-2020, 04:50 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
The maddening thing about Cummins fault codes is

Gary\
Last code I called in about, I was told it didn't apply to my engine.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:17 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Our engine did not derate when our DEF Head failed. We drove about 60 miles to the closest Cummins shop.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:15 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Last summer we had a nox 2 exhaust sensor give off a yellow mil light. What I want to convey is I was able to contact a Cummings Service Tech in the middle of the night via their website chat. You will need your engine serial number located on the plcard behind the drivers chair.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:39 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks to all for the feedback. Now I need to see if Spartan will sent me the part so I can take it to a shop and get it repaired.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:02 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback. Now I need to see if Spartan will sent me the part so I can take it to a shop and get it repaired.
It will probably have to be a Cummins shop to clear the code.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, engine, light