Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2020, 08:54 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Check Engine light

Same topic different situation. My alternator was replaced by empire in Pensacola. On my way to Tampa Florida for Thanksgiving and lo and behold, about 200 miles down the road, the check engine light came on, fault code 167 and FMI 18, same codes as before, the diagnostic's a bad alternator which was replaced.

The voltage fluctuations have me concerned. I was told that the voltage should be between13 amd 14 volts.

Once the voltage goes a little bit above 12, the check engine light goes off.

I hate to take it back to empire, but I don't have a choice.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Suzzanne
2014. Cornerstone
2015 jeep Cherokee
sdesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 09:01 PM   #2

A mechanic friend of mine used to say "New don't mean good." I would contact the place where it was serviced last. If you have the tools and the knowledge I might make sure that all of the connections to the alternator and battery are tight. It might save you a trip of a few hundred miles, maybe over 1,000 round trip. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:07 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I will see if my brother can assist. I checked the cables to the batteries and they appeared to be tight, but then again I may be missing something.

Thank you
Old 11-25-2020, 11:15 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Ok,
Tested the volts on the alternator and it registered 14.27, I am losing 2 volts some where,

Any ideas?

Thanks

Suzzanne
14 Cornerstone15 Jeep Cherokee
Old 11-25-2020, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesha View Post
Ok,
Tested the volts on the alternator and it registered 14.27, I am losing 2 volts some where,

Any ideas?

Thanks

Suzzanne
14 Cornerstone15 Jeep Cherokee
Look carefully at the all the battery connections. even a slight bit of corrosion MAY be the culprit. Remove, clean, reinstall. Hope that does it. Otherwise, you MAY have a $$$ battery going bad.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:39 PM   #6

Also, look carefully at your BATTERY ISOLATOR (has IN from alternator and OUT to chassis and house battery).

WORKAROUNDS are available.

Will send PM.

Bretty
Old 11-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
One battery was replaced, reading 13.3 volts, the other battery was not replaced , reading 12.9 volts. Going to replace the older battery that was manufactured on May 2018 and see what happens.

Thank you
Old 11-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesha View Post
One battery was replaced, reading 13.3 volts, the other battery was not replaced , reading 12.9 volts. Going to replace the older battery that was manufactured on May 2018 and see what happens.

Thank you

Are those readings with engine running (i.e. alternator charging)?

As measured at the batteries?
Old 11-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Yes
Old 12-01-2020, 09:44 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Check Engine light

Greetings Entegra Family,

Well yesterday I left Dover Florida in route to empire truck in Pensacola to troubleshoot my electrical issues. The alternator was not charging my batteries, by the time I got to the TA in Florida, my brother checked the AMPS on the alternator, 0.9. I finally made it to the repair facility and 2 more fault codes popped. 3228 FMI 2 and there was another one but forgot it.

The service writer told me to turn the coach off....bad move.....would not start, so he said we will have to jump start the coach to move it...not happening i said to myself.

Turned the generator on and charged the house batteries, after about 5 mins, I held down the battery boost and started the coach.Told the service writer that I got the coach started...he looked at me kinda shocked.

Now to the real issue at hand. The starter had a loose connection and could not be tightened because the previous owner who had the starter replaced and whoever installed the starter tightened it down too tight and may have vibrated loose, maybe it stripped the connection,
not sure ....that being said, my starter had to be replaced and the tech is 99% sure that is what caused my electrical issues.

So I am not sure if the tech who installed the alternator is supposed to have checked all components and connections that deal with the electrical components or not.

Something different every day I own this coach however I do enjoy my coach, can't wait to complete my time so I can travel full-time.

Had a great Thanksgiving tho.

Suzzanne
2014 Cornerstone
2015 Jeep Cherokee
Old 12-02-2020, 03:41 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the update Suzzanne. I know what you are going though having owned a 14, enough said. It is a good coach once all the problems are ironed out. The owner of my 14 loves it and has only had the normal wear items needing to be replaced. It's nice to hear from him when he calls asking the best place to get wiper blades, etc.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:58 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Brobox,

It is a good coach. Now the entry door motor.

Tags
check engine light, engine, light