Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2021, 05:37 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Check Engine Light

2012 Aspire 8.9L Anyone have any ideas on a check engine light with no fault codes showing on the dash? Antifreeze low warning has triggered it before but is full along with all other fluids.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2021, 06:19 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Have you toggled to the code screen on the dash? Not sure where it is on a 12, but on 14 I had to push the small buttons to get to that screen.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check Engine Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanrvr View Post
2012 Aspire 8.9L Anyone have any ideas on a check engine light with no fault codes showing on the dash? Antifreeze low warning has triggered it before but is full along with all other fluids.
If you had the check engine light as a result of the coolant being low, here is a quick thing you can do. Unplug the connector on the coolant surge tank sensor. Make up a short jumper wire and place it across the connector terminals on the plug and see if your check engine light goes out. I had that issue on a 2012 Spartan chassis. However, I did get a message on the dash that said "Low Coolant." The surge tank was full and the sensor was bad. Something you may want to try where you will not get into trouble.
Car1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:15 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
It is intermittent coming on when we decelerate. I have checked codes and there are none showing on the screen.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:19 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
If there are no codes, is there any addition Cummins warning light on the dash? If not, I would probably take it to Cummins to find out what the problem is, if it will show up on their computer.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:46 AM   #6

You might check for "warning" codes, if you haven't already. Our check engine light came on yesterday - no "fault" codes, but I found a warning code: "SPN 729 FMI 5", which I believe is related to the engine grid heater - the 250 amp fuse, or the grid itself.

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #7

I found that when I turn on the key, I wait for check engine light to go out before cranking the engine. If I don't wait, the check engine light often stays on.
You may have to wait about 30 seconds for check engine light to go out....
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:48 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
How do you check warning codes? I have checked the dash messages and fault codes and there no issues shown.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:14 PM   #9

Quote:
How do you check warning codes? I have checked the dash messages and fault codes and there no issues shown.
After the "no fault code" message, I pressed the side arrow (although might have been the down arrow) and it toggled over to the warning code message, and it reflected the code.

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:34 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check Engine Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
If there are no codes, is there any addition Cummins warning light on the dash? If not, I would probably take it to Cummins to find out what the problem is, if it will show up on their computer.
If you are convinced that your coolant surge tank is full above the sensor, and that the sensor is good, it is probably time to take it to Cummins. As Brobox has suggested, Cummins has the equipment to read what has been going on, and have a fix. Otherwise, it is just guess work. I/we would be curious of your out come. Good Luck.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
We have an appointment the end of the month. I'll update when we find the issue.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:20 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check Engine Light

Quote:
We have an appointment the end of the month. I'll update when we find the issue.
I am very curious as to what is found. Not to keep kicking this around, but did you ever try tuning the engine brake off?? Off long enough to see if the check engine light stays off??
Old 11-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Well an hour into my Cummins service appointment they said it is the solenoid for the hydraulic fan motor. The good news is the fan runs high speed all the time so it doesn't hurt to drive it. I'll have to get with spartan and see if I can order one. Looks to be an easy change out.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:40 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan had a motor with solenoid valve for 875 dollars and the solenoid alone was 850. Didn't make any sense at all so I asked them to look into that. I found some numbers on the solenoid and it turns out it is made by Bucher Hydraulics and has a P/N of MAG-SP D36 12D DT 27W. I've got calls into a couple of distributors looking for pricing and delivery times.

The best thing is that the coil itself can be replaced without breaking the hydraulic system open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	349576  

Tags
check engine light, engine, light