Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #1

Check Engine Light 5848

Well it never fails. I started the engine 3 days ago after sitting for 3 weeks and ran it for 30 minutes no problems. Today we started up to move permanently to Boerne a journey of 540 miles and I got this fault code. I called Spartan and he said electrical sensor for emissions. I asked him if it would derate engine and he said it didn't say so. He suggested Cummins El Paso and I said never!...they are a bunch of crooks
So I took off went 270 miles to Fort Stockton with no problem. Tomorrow will stay and Buckhorn for a few days.

So any ideas? Any recommendations for Cummins service in Kerrville Boerne or San Antonio?
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogelling View Post
Well it never fails. I started the engine 3 days ago after sitting for 3 weeks and ran it for 30 minutes no problems. Today we started up to move permanently to Boerne a journey of 540 miles and I got this fault code. I called Spartan and he said electrical sensor for emissions. I asked him if it would derate engine and he said it didn't say so. He suggested Cummins El Paso and I said never!...they are a bunch of crooks
So I took off went 270 miles to Fort Stockton with no problem. Tomorrow will stay and Buckhorn for a few days.

So any ideas? Any recommendations for Cummins service in Kerrville Boerne or San Antonio?
I've heard good things about Holt Cat and Iron Horse in SAT. By the way, I ran to FL and back last winter with a check engine light before I could get it in with no problems. Welcome to the Hill Country. We are just east of Boerne in Spring Branch.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:53 PM   #3

Great thanks. I checked the code and I got the FMI 9 which is rate of sending so I suspect it mas be temporary fault. I know Cummins SAT is way the hell out and always booked. I will check with Spartan for choices. We're not taking coach anywhere till January Quartzsite.

We are on TX 474 before it crosses the river. Will have to get together.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #4

Roger

There are 7 different versions of the 5848 Code. What differs across the 7 versions is the FMI level. The 7 levels are FMI-4, 9, 10, 13, 20, 21, 2. Your read out of the error code should be followed by the FMI code All of them deal with the SCR system (stands for Selective Catalytic Reduction system). This is all "after processing". The difference between one and the other is the specific type of problem that the system detects, from too rapid rate of change of SCR system, or too low readings/voltages, etc. etc. I had SCR problems which tied up my coach for 3 weeks before they tracked it down. In my case, the problem was finally determined to be in some programming of a control module that was signally a normal level of some SCR functioning that was being seen as abnormal but was not.

If you give me the specific FMI code, I will tell you what Spartan says. Also, the Spartan app on my iPhone lists all the error codes. Part of the problem is that the Spartan error code is often not as clear and definitive as the Cummins code, which can be very different, or much more definitive. I needed to have Spartan "translate" the SPN code into the Cummins code. The cCummins code told everyone much more about the specific problem.
Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #5

OK, the FMI-9 code is the following: ""Aftertreatment 1 SCR intermediate NH3 Sensor - Abnormal update rate"

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:09 PM   #6

Rodger,

Cummins Southern Plains is the SAT dealer for Cummins. I used the Freightliner dealer once to find an air leak on my Beaver. They have a separate motor coach shop from the trucks. It also has a higher labor rate than the truck shop!

I used Holt Cat for a wheel leak and noise in the rear suspension. They retorqued the rear torque box to fix the noise. Holt is the SAT Spartan dealer. They are not very RV friendly. It is what it is..

I have my Anthem at Texas Custom Coach in Pipe Creek right now for Entegra warranty work. So far I really like working with the owner Dave Miller. They ARE RV friendly. Every coach on their lot is plugged in to power. They had to disassemble the bedroom wall to find and correct a water leak in the shower plumbing. They also did the air box recall. Currently waiting for a new kitchen light from Entegra to finish my list after our 6,200 mile summer tour of the western states.

We really like the Buckhorn, it was our first RV Park we went to about a dozen years ago. Good luck, and I hope your light clears.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #7

Gary that's why I'm hoping it's software issue and not a bad sensor.

TalTex I didn't know Texas Custom Coach did engine and chassis work. If that's the case that's the ticket. I have been to their place off 46 and 16. I'll check with them.

I'm keeping coach at Buckhorn until movers get done on Monday. Then will try to get coach to make it across the creek on my place on to the pad. If it won't clear the dip it's back to the asphalt guy t o come fix it.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:59 AM   #8

Texas Custom Coach does not do engine or chassis work. Sorry to mislead you. I wanted to let you know that they are doing warranty work for Entegra. We still pay them, and then Entegra reimburses us back. I called CS and gave Dave T. My list of issues and he was ok with TCC doing the repairs. Then I took the coach to TCC and they prepared an estimate for each item on the list and emailed it to Dave at CS, got approval then started working on the coach. It was all very professional.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:01 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We used Lemeilleur's RV Truck & Equipment Repair Co., Inc in Kerrville to have our coach inspected. It is a well run operation. The service bays are clean and the waiting area is very comfortable. Wouldn't hesitate to have work done there.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:49 AM   #10

Happy to report my cel went away after I pulled the fuse to the SCR.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #11

Well, as I was reading this, my check engine light also came on, during a short drive, probably after the first 30 minutes. Very loud, lots of symbols, but no real explanation anywhere. One of them appeared to be exhaust related, but disappeared after I turned the coach off as I pulled over. The engine is the only one on now. All fluids, air, temp are ok.
Most likely I'm not looking in the right place, but where do you find the code number?
Thanks.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Said it before and I'll say it again...you can look that number up, but if it were me, I'd call Spartan after hours. First they are good. Second, those CELs don't always tell the real story. My last was caused by my MOBILE EYE sending an error message to the ECM (got that from Spartan, after hours). Snipped the wire...no CEL anymore. Who'd a thought that the mobile eye could cause that.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #13

Is their after hours number on the website? I guess they walk you through it?
Thanks!
Old 09-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #14

Well, after 2 days I went back to the coach with spartan on the line, checked engine and tranny, and no fault code was found. The check engine light has now also disappeared. Glad it's gone, but worried it will come back.

Tags
light, check engine light, engine