Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2022, 03:15 PM   #1

Check Engine Light Fuel Gage

I was driving a remote stretch of highway with about 1/4 fuel indicated on tank
Suddenly the check engine light came on and fuel gage turned to E. DEF tank went blank. It lasted a few seconds and then went off and all normal I was about 30 minutes to next fuel station and it happened several times with lots more as I got close to stopping

I filled 112 gallons and added DEF to my tank. The DEF gage shows 2 green lights and the tank looks about 2/3 full. No problems after filling with fuel
I rarely let it get below 1/4 tank so this was new and uncomfortable for me

Anyone else had a similar experience?
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2022, 03:54 PM   #2

Is your gas caps ok, ? Tight etc. Their is folks who say the generator will not run at that level. Maybe it was telling you to keep that inind. I have also never gone below 1/4 Tank. We have used the TSD so we try and juice all the way up. There is tons of help here I can verify that hang in there
Old 09-29-2022, 04:05 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My norm is to fill up at just under half.

I have run all the way down to a little under a quarter of a tank without issue.
I ended up putting in about 110 gallons so I still had a good amount of fuel when my tank showed under a quarter.

I agree that would have made me uncomfortable as well.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:29 AM   #4

I just called Spartan and explained what happened to me. The tech said it is likely a faulty fuel sender unit He said it should not create an engine shutdown or derate. So fingers crossed I make it to Phoenix tomorrow….
Old 10-01-2022, 05:37 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I just called Spartan and explained what happened to me. The tech said it is likely a faulty fuel sender unit He said it should not create an engine shutdown or derate. So fingers crossed I make it to Phoenix tomorrow….

Jim,
You should be okay. If you have an issue sourcing a new sending unit let me know I have a new one still in the box. You 2014 Would have a side mounted sending unit rather than the top mount on later coaches.
Not to difficult to change.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:43 AM   #6

I have a friend that has 2019 CS and he has told me he has run it down to where dash says less then 50 miles left. He never said it acted weird but his is a 2019
Old 10-02-2022, 12:55 PM   #7

After further reflection and retracing the events leading up to and after the incident, I am now thinking I was low on DEF even with indicator showing
2 green dots. Immediately after filling the diesel tank, I poured in on box
of DEF. The indicator still showed 2 green dots. I added another box of DEF at next stop with over 1/2 tank of diesel. Still 2 green dots. I then added another
box of DEF when I stopped that evening. The DEF gage then showed 4 green dots. The next day the DEF gage moved to 3 green dots after an hour of driving

I thought I could see the DEF level in the tank, but maybe I did not . In any event it is running fine. And my hunch now is the Check Engine light with gage switching to E briefly was low DEF level…..
Old 10-03-2022, 08:22 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
After further reflection and retracing the events leading up to and after the incident, I am now thinking I was low on DEF even with indicator showing
2 green dots. Immediately after filling the diesel tank, I poured in on box
of DEF. The indicator still showed 2 green dots. I added another box of DEF at next stop with over 1/2 tank of diesel. Still 2 green dots. I then added another
box of DEF when I stopped that evening. The DEF gage then showed 4 green dots. The next day the DEF gage moved to 3 green dots after an hour of driving

I thought I could see the DEF level in the tank, but maybe I did not . In any event it is running fine. And my hunch now is the Check Engine light with gage switching to E briefly was low DEF level…..
Jim,

I don’t want to jinx it but it sounds like your def level sensor is starting to fail. I went through something similar this past spring where my def quantity slowly decreased over a 20-30 mile period from 3 bars to zero bars. Ended up replacing the def head recently. That was fun.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, engine, fuel, light