RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 05:47 AM   #1

Check your house battery voltage before you move!

We took our 2012 Aspire into our Spartan Chassis service center for a service bulletin on the steering. While there we had the oil changed and a few filters replaced. Normally we keep our Aspire in our garage plugged into 50 amps. I had turned on the electric switch on the Aqua Hot to put a load on the generator, which we ran as we traveled 1.5 hours to the service center. I forgot to turn it off when we left the coach for five days. This load may have helped drain my house batteries while the unit was serviced. The service center has no plugins. When we picked up the coach we started the generator but neglected to turn on the charge button on the Magnum controls. A mile down the road my wife-driver heard a clicking noise near the door, and at a red light opened and closed the door. Evidently the house batteries had enough power to extend the steps, but not retract them when she checked the door. Consequently we ended up with bent steps as she drove on. I was following in the car and didn't see the accident. She hit a curb as she was pulling off the road.
When I checked the house voltage it was 10 volts. I should have checked that before we moved the coach!!!
After talking to Entegra, I have decided to install an on-off switch on the house batteries and turn them off whenever I have to leave the coach without external power or the generator not set properly with the Magnum Control center. Entegra said there is some parasitic electrical drain at all times. I don't know what the repair bill will be, but am glad that the damage was only to the steps and my ego. Checking my house batteries before I depart is on my check list now!!!!
lowpasslew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I don't think it was the Aqua Hot that drained your batteries as the electric element will only heat when you are connected to shore power or have the generator running. However in 5 days of not being plugged in your refrigerator and even just the inverter running will kill your house batteries flat. There are lots of other power parasites running also. That long without power would require turning off the inverter and the main. So sorry to hear your step got mangled. I've see many coaches running down the hiway with their steps out and always been concerned about that.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I guess I am surprised that it only ran down to 10 Volts...not too bad although pretty low. Many have seen draw downs much worse.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
The Magnum inverter should always enable the charger upon application of 120V...even if it was previously turned off. I'm wondering why the charger didn't turn on when the generator was started.
TechDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I guess I am surprised that it only ran down to 10 Volts...not too bad although pretty low. Many have seen draw downs much worse.
That may have been because of the LBCO (Low Battery Cut Off) setting on the inverter which shuts down the inverter below the selected voltage. I think mine is set on 10.5 volts, although I can't think of a good reason why it should not be set higher for better battery protection.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Down to 10 volts on wet cells means you'll probably be in the market for new batteries. If you are buying I really recommend paying a little extra and going with AGMs at least of the same size but preferably go up to the 400ah.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #7

We put a shut-off switch on our coach so we don't have battery run down issues. It works great and we do not worry about dead batteries while the coach is sitting as we have no power available at our storage site. Be sure and tell everyone in service that you have one and want the power turned off when the coach sits.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
This is something that came standard on the Beaver that I used to have, and something I think Entegra should install on all their coaches.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #9

I thought if you shut the main power and the disconnect switch in the back battery compartment it shuts down. Is that incorrect?
Old 04-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
I thought if you shut the main power and the disconnect switch in the back battery compartment it shuts down. Is that incorrect?
There are several parasitic draws even with all of the factory switches turned off. The Carbon Monoxide warning system is one. The only way to completely kill the power is with a battery cutoff switch like those that are used on boats. Lots of different ones on the market, even Harbor Freight has them.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:03 AM   #11

The service tech turned off the circuit breaker on the generator housing when he changed the oil, I was told. The Magnum control was set on manual, but I should have noticed the low voltage. When I later saw the low voltage I pushed the charge button but nothing came on, so then I checked the circuit breaker and found it off.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:08 AM   #12

Yes, incorrect. Entegra told me I needed to install a quick disconnect in the house battery area if I wanted to stop the parasitic draw.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #13

Check your house battery voltage before you move!

I have a 65w solar panel that keeps the batteries up. Came with the coach. No worries, no switches.

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I have a 65w solar panel that keeps the batteries up. Came with the coach. No worries, no switches.
Unless you're parked inside or under some cover. And even then a little 65 watt solar panel will not keep up with much.

Tags
battery