RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #1

Child car seat

The DW and I want to take out three year old grandson with us in a five hour trip in the Aspire. My son is saying motor homes are not set up for these seats. Sure enough I read about it and most people do not recommend it. Only the dinette has a forward facing seat. Also supposedly the seat belts are just anchored in wood. I hate to think we will never be able to take my best friend with us in the coach! We had motor homes the whole time our kids were growing up and we put them in a car seat facing sideways and when they got to be four or five we let them sit in any seat as long as they were in belts. Otherwise they sat on the floor and played video games or slept with the sofa made into a bed. Does anyone know if Entegra has done anything for this issue? Any ideas? I was going to call them this morning.

Doug
AspireDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 06:58 AM   #2

He deserves to ride Shotgun. The big, amazing picture!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireDoug View Post
The DW and I want to take out three year old grandson with us in a five hour trip in the Aspire. My son is saying motor homes are not set up for these seats. Sure enough I read about it and most people do not recommend it. Only the dinette has a forward facing seat. Also supposedly the seat belts are just anchored in wood. I hate to think we will never be able to take my best friend with us in the coach! We had motor homes the whole time our kids were growing up and we put them in a car seat facing sideways and when they got to be four or five we let them sit in any seat as long as they were in belts. Otherwise they sat on the floor and played video games or slept with the sofa made into a bed. Does anyone know if Entegra has done anything for this issue? Any ideas? I was going to call them this morning.

Doug
Doug I know Entegra is very adamant about any furniture that's installed in the motor home has to pass the DOT, rvia standard as far as seat belts go. Under my slide out with the sofa there is a piece of steel about one ft. wide and six foot long the seat belts are fastened through that plus it is also fastened to the slide structure, so they're not just fastened through wood.
Can't say about a child seat for sure, but there should be a way. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
What CampDaven said!!!!!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #5

Looks like most have little interest in this issue but I did get this from Entegra.

Child safety seats may be safely used in Jayco motorhomes. The seat belts in all Jayco motorhomes have been tested and meet the requirements set forth by the federal regulations. Tether anchorages are not required in motorhomes and are not necessarily an absolute for correct and safe placement of a child safety or booster seat. Child safety seats can indeed be used safely by securing them with a lap seat belt only without the use of upper/lower latches and tether. Seat belts are a safe and effective way to secure a safety seat. The chart below will demonstrate safe ways to install the safety seats.
⦁ Always follow the instructions provided with the safety seat by its manufacturer.
⦁ Always place a safety seat in the correct orientation (facing forward or rearward) according to the size and weight of each child.
⦁ Always use in a forward or rear-facing seat.
⦁ When placing a child safety seat in a forward or rear-facing seat of the dinette booth the dinette table MUST be removed and stowed away.
⦁ Never use a child safety seat on a side-facing seat.
⦁ Never allow a child less than twelve years of age to ride in the front passenger seat.
AspireDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

Right, but what that fails to mention is that most high end MHs nowadays don't have the booth dinette. Which, aside from the front passenger seat, is generally the only applicable spot to put the child seat. And that release tells you not to use the front passenger seat. So without the booth dinette, now what?
Gavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #7

Child car seat

If the child is old enough for forward facing, putting the child seat in the shotgun seat is fine, IMHO. The distance between the child and the dash and windshield is huge.
I think the rules for child seating are specific to autos and the dynamics of motorhomes were not considered.
I had play-dates with my Grands, they rode shotgun and were captivated and thrilled the whole time. If I put them in the back they just went to sleep or threw a hissy fit!
For me, it was Shotgun seat or why bring them! I created some forever memories for them, rated as high as their first train ride.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #8

No car seats in front seat has more to do with passenger car air bags than anything else.

Don't see a problem with a car seat in the passenger seat.
HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #9

I have been curious about this as well, I have a 5 year old and a 7 month old. Does the L-Sectional have a seatbelt in the L section? Is there a passenger airbag? If so and it cannot be deactivated I would not put either of my kids up there.
Flynryan15 is offline   Reply With Quote