Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2021, 09:22 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Clear Attachment For A Macerator Hose

I'm a couple weeks away from taking delivery of a REATTA. Trying to get up to speed. I'm not familiar with the macerator pump hose thingy, been the slinky guy in my short RV experience. I've been trying to identify a clear attachment for the end of the hose so I can verify that the dump is over. Does such a thing exist, or is this something I shouldn't worry about ? Couldn't find anything in the Forum.
ZiggySmerlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2021, 04:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggySmerlap View Post
I'm a couple weeks away from taking delivery of a REATTA. Trying to get up to speed. I'm not familiar with the macerator pump hose thingy, been the slinky guy in my short RV experience. I've been trying to identify a clear attachment for the end of the hose so I can verify that the dump is over. Does such a thing exist, or is this something I shouldn't worry about ? Couldn't find anything in the Forum.
It's not needed.

When it is pumping, the hose is solid, under pressure.
When there is nothing left to pump, there is no pressure, it kinda flops around. You can see this, and you can also hear the tone of the pump motor change when the pressure releases.

I generally pump my black tank till empty, then pull the gray tank valve for a 10 count (black still open) pump till empty again (flush and rinse...lol) then close the black and open the gray.
When the gray is empty I turn off the pump but leave the valve open (assuming full hookups)

You will find it is a very quick, easy, clean dumping system.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:45 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Add a piece of clear hose. I purchased mine at Lowe's in the plumbing dept. Sold by the foot. I copied this post.

Very helpful, when back-filling to flush the black tank to see when it is clean

A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:45 AM   #4

I agree with oneknight. You really don't need to see anything. The system works just as he says on my 19 Cornerstone. If you watch the Sanicom hose, the state of the hose will tell you everything you want t know.

When the system is pumping contents through the hose, the hose gets firm and clearly is pumping contents. If you keep watching it, as soon as there is not full flow of contents, the hose become more flaccid (sorry but those words best describe how the hose is .... .. ...
looks). As soon as it gets flaccid, the pump sound also tells you it is pumping nothing at which point, you shut the macerator motor off, close the black tank valve, open the gray tank valve, and turn the pump back on and again the hose shows you exactly what it is doing.

I've had a clear section in a previous slinky system and frankly never found the ability to see the contents of what was passing very important to the dumping process. Maybe I am not OCD enough but it is unnecessary.

And I never mix the contents of the black and gray tanks. I want the gray to stay as clean as it can stay with just all the junk that is in it anyway from the sinks.... and I dont want any chance for black contents to get in there also.... If you ensure you have a lot of gray to clean out the black, there is no need for having both valves open at the same time IMO.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:59 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
JMO: this is why I use a clear section of hose. Others may not be back flushing their tanks. I do, and do not have to use any chemicals.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:22 AM   #6

Chuck

I just watched the video to see if I could learn something new. It is good. I have watched it before. But I continue to say that the clear section in the hose is not needed. I follow the same basic process. I dont flush the black tank ever y time that I empty the black tank but I do it regularly when I have a good source of clear water and and a sewer line readily available.... probably every fourth time I dump the black. I simply use the usual dump process described above for four times lets say and when I have the right conditions, then I add the black tank flush process in addition to the normal dumping process. I just let the back flush run for 3 or 4 minutes, turn off and dump, then probably do it again at least another time.

Now, I know my process works as I when my macerator motor failed a month or so ago, I sadly, was in a position that I had to drain both my gray and black tanks into an car size oil change pan which meant that I had to hold the pan and the short stinky slinky hose, manipulate the valves by hand, and I got to get familiar what what came out from a very close position. I also did the flush process, and what came out in my case, and I believe in the case of the fellow in the video, was some additional brown liquid but not much, and no solids..... but not black tank solid contents. So, all I am saying is that the clear section does not contribute anything really meaningful and really important. If it floats someone else's boat, then fine.... but I don't think it is critical and necessary is all I am saying.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #7

Clear hose

I agree with Chuck... It's probably the best $15.00 you can spend on your coach. Takes all the guess work out of pumping the tanks. I'm a retired master plumber and ran a plumbing company for 35 years, I think I know my S**t. No offense meant but it is an excellent, inexpensive, easy improvement...
kerrvillepil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I have always tried to back flush as much as I can. While not relishing watching the black tank discharge, it seems necessary to insure the water is running clear. Without being able to see the discharge it would be a guess to see if the tank is relatively clean
Old 01-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #9

I have a question, why use a macerator if you use a large diameter hose, isn't the purpose of the macerator is to grind up the discharge and run it under pressure thru a garden hose and even long distances ?

Clifford
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I used to use a clear section when I was using a stinky slinky because, yes, you wanted to get your tanks clean but also and most importantly at least for me, I had to handle it after the fact. Using the macerator creates kind of a closed system so now I run the tank sprayer while the macerator runs, then dump the grey. Close it up fill it about half and dump again, perhaps more if I’m going into storage. Don’t really think you need to have a pristine hose when all you are doing is capping it and it almost never dries out. The extra length also makes it difficult to store intact. JMHO
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:03 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Clear Attachment For A Macerator

Wow! Thank you so much everybody. I'm really looking forward to this, if that doesn't sound to weird about dumping a black tank
ZiggySmerlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't think it's weird at all. It's one of those quality-of-life features. Perhaps the best thing about the Reatta line is that it inherits a lot of those small features from its bigger brothers.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:33 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I know others have different methods of dumping and maybe flushing the back tank. Some just dump and add chemicals to control black tank odors. I did that for years. The Travel Supreme didn't have a black tank flush sprayer. When I purchased the 14, someone posted the video above on how to effectively use the black tank sprayer. I tried it on what I thought was a new, clean black tank. I was shocked at how much crud was stuck the sides of the black tank on a brand new coach. I back filled 95% and flushed 4 times before I had clear water visible though a clear section. I back fill and flush on any full tank dump and I rarely use chemicals anymore. Maybe a little Pinesol or some of the chemical that came with the coach when new if it is very hot. That method has worked so well for me, I added the clear section to the mancerator hose.
I also added the cam locks on the mancerator hose to remove the head easily. I use the bottom hatch to pull the hose though. Removing the head makes pulling the hose in and out much easier. One of these days I will add J.H.'s modification.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Add a piece of clear hose. I purchased mine at Lowe's in the plumbing dept. Sold by the foot. I copied this post.

Very helpful, when back-filling to flush the black tank to see when it is clean

Chuck,
how did you fix the cam locks to the hoses?
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, hose, macerator