Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2016, 04:52 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Dogs passing gas can set them off. Pet bed anywhere close to unit??
CO is a toxic gas, much like dog gas and the CO detectors is best mounted from mid wall to ceiling. Best is on the Ceiling since toxic gases are lighter than air.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 05:30 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
If Entegra has mounted a CO detector near the floor they should be notified of that information so they can correct their installation SOP.

A lot of misinformation in this thread.

CO detectors should be mounted about half way between the floor and ceiling and preferably in the bedroom where you sleep in case there is a problem during the night.

LPG detectors should be mounted near the floor and logically near the devices that use LPG.

Smoke & fire detectors should be mounted on the ceiling or near the top of a wall but not in the "dead" zone of the wall and ceiling.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:28 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If Entegra has mounted a CO detector near the floor they should be notified of that information so they can correct their installation SOP.

A lot of misinformation in this thread.

CO detectors should be mounted about half way between the floor and ceiling and preferably in the bedroom where you sleep in case there is a problem during the night.

LPG detectors should be mounted near the floor and logically near the devices that use LPG.

Smoke & fire detectors should be mounted on the ceiling or near the top of a wall but not in the "dead" zone of the wall and ceiling.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
this thread is not as bad as others about these devices. I can't believe the amount of mis-information which is disseminated on these list servers. Worse yet is how many people self-proclaim they "NO IT ALL".

The dead space for others interested is specified by the device manufacturer but here are general areas. On a horizontal ceiling not within 12" of the intersecting corner of a ceiling/wall and on a wall mount or the peak of a vaulted ceiling not within 6" to the edge of the device. Again, follow the instructions of the installation sheet. It may vary.

ALSO at least 3 feet from any vent for intake or discharge of heat or air condition and not within 4 feet of the tip of a ceiling fan. ALSO not near dirty or dusty areas that may cause false alarms.

35 years in the business, NICET certified and Licensed in two states to design, install and repair fire systems. If you have a question please send a PM Personal message.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Thanks. Pulled the fuse and will get a CO detector from lowes or Home Depot.
As has been mentioned, CO (carbon monoxide) is an odorless, colorless, deadly gas. Among other things, it's a byproduct of combustion.

Please don't sleep in the coach without a working CO detector, especially if you're needing to run the AquaHot.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Before anyone gets carried away with replacing or permanently disabling or moving this detector it should be pointed out that it is a CO and LP combination detector not just a CO detector. While there is no built in LP gas on an Anthem or Cornerstone I am sure we all carry a portable propane tank of some sort which can leak. Up until the 2017 model year the Aspire still has LP gas and a combination detector should not be replaced with a CO only detector without adding an LP detector.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
For anyone that has or wants to install a combo CO & LPG detector, my personal recommendation is to get RID of it if you have one now or do NOT purchase one thinking you are saving money by purchasing a combo unit.

LPG gas is heavier than air therefore the detector needs to be close to the floor for early detection.

CO is not heavier than air. If you have a CO detector located close to the floor by the time it is able to detect the presence of CO chances are it is TOO late for you.

As stated previously the CO detector needs to be located halfway between the floor and the ceiling or closer to the ceiling than the floor.

If Entegra is installing combo LPG/CO detectors, like THIS one, in their coaches then they need to be notified that they are NOT protecting their customers from a disaster or even possible death.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
For anyone that has or wants to install a combo CO & LPG detector, my personal recommendation is to get RID of it if you have one now or do NOT purchase one thinking you are saving money by purchasing a combo unit.

LPG gas is heavier than air therefore the detector needs to be close to the floor for early detection.

CO is not heavier than air. If you have a CO detector located close to the floor by the time it is able to detect the presence of CO chances are it is TOO late for you.

As stated previously the CO detector needs to be located halfway between the floor and the ceiling or closer to the ceiling than the floor.

If Entegra is installing combo LPG/CO detectors, like THIS one, in their coaches then they need to be notified that they are NOT protecting their customers from a disaster or even possible death.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Some statements found here are true - others not true - some in between and some are IMHO

In Fact a common misunderstanding is that Carbon Monoxide Alarms must be placed near the ground to accurately detect levels of CO. In truth, Carbon Monoxide is roughly the same weight as air, and distributes evenly throughout a room. This means a CO detector can be placed at any height on a wall or ceiling. Of course the preferred placement is from about 2 feet and higher. CO does not stratify like some other gases.

It is important that the CO Alarm must be placed in an area that allows for the siren to be heard. CO alarms issue a 4 cadence beat and smoke alarms issue a 3 cadence beat. All manufacturers recommend placing a Carbon Monoxide Detector in all separate sleeping areas, as well as living areas and in your home, the basement too. As Carbon Monoxide moves freely through the air, the Alarm must not be located near a ceiling fan, or blocked by furniture in order to detect CO levels accurately. Be sure to keep your Carbon Monoxide Alarm clean, and out of the way of children or pets. Do not clean your detectors with spray of any kind or use ammonia or other chemical near them.

when using a combo unit which detects all type of combustible/explosive gases be aware that when propane is used place near floor but when natural or cng is used place it high as these gasses are lighter than air.

I suggest that folks want exact information on this subject look to google for manufacturers models, products and on sites where you will find information with accurate statements. When I need additional help in my trade I go directly to the MFG REP. First I read the spec sheet and installation instruction all available ON LINE. For more info on this subject visit my blog on this server.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
""Our CO2 detector down by the refrigerator""

I guess maybe some folks don't "no it all" we just know to respond to the OP's question....but always nice to have a certified expert straighten us out.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
La Dagobago,

Thanks for your post, very informative.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post

In Fact a common misunderstanding is that Carbon Monoxide Alarms must be placed near the ground to accurately detect levels of CO.

In truth, Carbon Monoxide is roughly the same weight as air, and distributes evenly throughout a room. This means a CO detector can be placed at any height on a wall or ceiling.

Of course the preferred placement is from about 2 feet and higher. CO does not stratify like some other gases.
With all due RESPECT, and I have no intentions of getting into a pissing contest over this with you or anyone else, but CO is slightly lighter than air PLUS it is generally combined with warm air coming from an improperly operating heat source burning incorrectly so the CO will go UP before it goes DOWN.

Therefore anyone who thinks that a LPG/CO detector is protecting you by being near the floor is kidding themselves.

Here is an excerpt from just one Internet web site:

When considering where to place a carbon monoxide detector, keep in mind that although carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air (carbon monoxide's specific gravity is 0.9657, as stated by the EPA; the National Resource Council lists the specific gravity of air as one), it may be contained in warm air coming from combustion appliances such as home heating equipment. If this is the case, carbon monoxide will rise with the warmer air. Installation locations vary by manufacturer. Manufacturers' recommendations differ to a certain degree based on research conducted with each one's specific detector. Therefore, make sure to read the provided installation manual for each detector before installing.

Everyone can do as they please as it is YOUR coach and RV.

However, you won't find me using or staying in a coach or RV that has improperly installed or non-functional alarms.

For those that are still confused spend some time on the Internet reading about LPG, CO, Smoke and Fire alarms. And just don't read a few, read a bunch from a variety of sites, THEN make up your own mind as to where the best location is for installing each of those alarms.

My coach is fully protected with fully functional alarms in fact I have more than what you would find in any typical coach because I have added them myself.

I am not a professional anything other than professionally retired but I read a lot, listen a lot and use common sense a LOT.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
With all due RESPECT, and I have no intentions of getting into a pissing contest over this with you or anyone else, but CO is slightly lighter than air PLUS it is generally combined with warm air coming from an improperly operating heat source burning incorrectly so the CO will go UP before it goes DOWN.

Therefore anyone who thinks that a LPG/CO detector is protecting you by being near the floor is kidding themselves.

Here is an excerpt from just one Internet web site:

When considering where to place a carbon monoxide detector, keep in mind that although carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air (carbon monoxide's specific gravity is 0.9657, as stated by the EPA; the National Resource Council lists the specific gravity of air as one), it may be contained in warm air coming from combustion appliances such as home heating equipment. If this is the case, carbon monoxide will rise with the warmer air. Installation locations vary by manufacturer. Manufacturers' recommendations differ to a certain degree based on research conducted with each one's specific detector. Therefore, make sure to read the provided installation manual for each detector before installing.

Everyone can do as they please as it is YOUR coach and RV.

However, you won't find me using or staying in a coach or RV that has improperly installed or non-functional alarms.

For those that are still confused spend some time on the Internet reading about LPG, CO, Smoke and Fire alarms. And just don't read a few, read a bunch from a variety of sites, THEN make up your own mind as to where the best location is for installing each of those alarms.

My coach is fully protected with fully functional alarms in fact I have more than what you would find in any typical coach because I have added them myself.

I am not a professional anything other than professionally retired but I read a lot, listen a lot and use common sense a LOT.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Well I am not in a contest. Everything you just wrote above has already be posted by me on one thread or another. You get no argument from me on preferred locations. My answer in this thread was trying to help a direct question without giving approval in the answer. this is the reason I previously stated that I prefer not to comment on an individual product on these threads.

I spend on average well over 25 hours in class yearly on many of these very exact subject. I am also a contributor to specific NFPA areas of interest in fire alarm systems and communications. I do not take my interest in these area lightly as my decisions in my business affect the lives of thousand of my customers.
Never had any of my installations refused by any inspecting authority.
If a person wishes an expert opinion on a specific product I will answer via PM. These post are too repetitive and now mind-numbing.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Well - I'm going to buy a new CO detector and will get Entegra to send me a replacement, too. But an alarm that goes off quite a bit - how do you know if it is real if the CO is odorless? I have shut off my AH burner for sleeping and our coach doesn't have propane. I do have two small propane canisters for my grill - but I'm not too worried about them at the moment.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote