Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2021, 02:57 PM   #1

Coach-net - BAH!

Sorry for the long rant!

Being a relative newbie to the diesel pusher world, I thought that purchasing a Coach-net roadside assistance package would be a wise move. After all, they offer 24/7 technical and roadside assistance, right?

I was cruising along US 74 with the flow of traffic about 40-50 miles southeast of Charlotte, NC when all of a sudden, the check engine light came on and I experienced a loss of power. There is no shoulder in that stretch of road so I turned into the first cross street I came to. Before I completed the turn, I lost all power to the engine. I totally blocked the side street, but at least I was off the major highway.

As I got out of the coach and walked back to unhook the toad (which was hanging out into the highway) I was hit with the smell of diesel. Opening the RR side compartment, diesel had sprayed everywhere and was still dripping.

Well, I've got Coach-net, I'm covered, right?

I called them at 3PM and they were very polite and assured me that they would make it right. They would tow me to a safe place to spend the night and then, the next morning, tow me to a repair shop. The towing costs were covered! Yay for my checkbook! They promised to call me back in 30 minutes with more information and, sure enough, in 30 minutes they called back. But, only to tell me that they were having trouble locating a tow provider. Be patient, they asked. OK, it was a Sunday afternoon, I'll be patient.

At 4:45PM I called them back, "You know that I'm leaking diesel fuel, right? And that I'm sitting in the middle of a road?" 30 minutes later they called back again, and apologetically explained that they've not been able to find a towing company for me. For over two hours now I've been waiting patiently.

At 6:15 I called the NC state police, explained my predicament and they promised to have the duty trooper stop by to see if there was anything he could do. As I was located in a rural county, there is only one trooper on duty and he was currently at a traffic accident in another part of the county.

At 7 PM I called Coach-net once again and surprise! It was a new team manning the phones now and they had no idea what was going on. After a period of time on hold, they said that they were sorry someone dropped the ball and promised they'd get back to me within 30 minutes. I never did hear back from Coach-net that night...

Around 7:30, the NC State trooper arrived. I explained my problem and he started making phone calls. He tapped into his network of friends and acquaintances and after a half a dozen calls, he found someone that promised to come out and have a look. He was at least 30 minutes away but, in my mind it was progress.
And so it was! The mechanic arrived and within 10 minutes identified the problem as a cracked fuel filter housing. It took until nearly 10 PM for him to remove the housing, drive back to his shop for a new one, return, install it and put everything back together again and the coach is running!

The mobile tech charged me $200 for his work. Huh. $50 less than Coach-net.

I'm on the road again.

I'd missed my campground reservation for that night, so we boondocked in a Wal*Mart, leaving early the next morning for the campground, which we arrived at around 8AM.
At 11 AM I had a call from Coach-net and the guy sounded all pleased with himself stating that he was going to have a mobile tech at my site within the hour to evaluate my condition.

He seemed surprised that I was no longer sitting in the middle of the road waiting and that I took it on my own to get repairs without waiting for them. I don't know - maybe I was supposed to call them to cancel?

I know that I've read lots of good things about Coach-net here and in fact, it influenced my decision to go with them. I also know that traveling on a Sunday afternoon in less populated areas carries with it some risk. I've now learned that carrying a spare filter housing may be a good idea.

I have Coach-net for this year, it's already been paid for (although I may ask for a refund based on this fiasco). I'm not sure that I'll go with them again after this though.
NomadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
CoachNet pays the cost of towing but nothing towards a mobil mechanic or services rendered to get you mobil.
I no longer use CN as the towing co they sent charged me $400 more and did $4,500 damage to my rig. Neither CN nor the towing co paid for any of that.
Now have FMCA but have yet to use it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:07 PM   #3

Thanks for this post. I've heard other similar stories about CN. Good Information!!
Old 06-12-2021, 05:09 PM   #4

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Ain't Rv'ing fun?

I have Good Sam's plan and hope I never have to use it
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:16 PM   #5

I have used CN 2 times,,, both times they were life savers ✝️[emoji120]
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I've had Good Sam for 17 years..I called them for help around 4 times over the years.
Always satisfied!
Joyce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Had AAA for 30 years with all my cars and trailers. Used them twice. Went to Good Sam 14 years ago when I bought our first coach. Used them twice for the RV'S and once for a trailer flat behind my SUV. GS was great all three times.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:48 PM   #8

I called when I bought my coach and they said that they couldn't sell me a policy directly for the first year and that I had to go back to Mt Comfort RV to get a CoachNet policy. I told them "the heck I will", i'm not giving them another penny and that also sealed the deal for CoachNet in my book. So I have FMCA and luckily haven't had to use them at all and hope we never have to.

2018 Newmar Bay Star 3401
debordj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:20 PM   #9

Well, all the companies are really fantastic at taking your money and cashing your check or charging your credit card..... And your very satisfied attitude with your current company will last as long as you never need their help. However, the problem begin when you need their service.

Now, if you search this forum, you can find two or three threads where I described my experience with GoodSams, and I can assure that after being forced to pay for a new tire (~$900) that was not needed because there was nothing really wrong with the old tire, I was completely dissatisfied with the service that GoodSams provided and their stipulations for their help that made no sense in the situation that I was in. I have never tried FMCA. I have had CoachNet because of their great reviews here on the forum, but I have needed them only once and I was not at all happy with how that was handled either.

The problem is that all companies have learned to blow sunshine up various places in our anatomy and how to phrase their services in ways that all seem to meet all of our needs and it all sounds great until you need the service and then you find there are 5 stipulations/limitations that were never explained that make it all less desirable. Its the way the world works in the 2020s.

I just renewed with CoachNet for another three years but I am praying that I never need what I think their services offered are, as I would not be at all surprised that I will be disappointed. I AM surprised that you did not get prompt phone service and call backs and them living up to their promises from CoachNet. Maybe they are having a COVID problem like every other company, but they need to get their act together quickly.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:35 PM   #10

My take away is that it is better to call the highway patrol then it is to call the roadside assistance company.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:06 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
My take away is that it is better to call the highway patrol then it is to call the roadside assistance company.

And carry extra fuel filters.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:32 PM   #12

Gasman

Spare fuel filters, I always carry. Learned that lesson long ago.

However, very few of us are likely to carry a fuel filter manifold or a cracked fuel filter housing.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:16 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry for the OP’s experience but mine has been great. My experience with Coach-Net over the past 18 years has been excellent. They have assisted me half a dozen times, from a dead battery to a blowout to a leaking tire to keys locked inside a rental car. Very conscientious and never a charge for their services. I am sure they are not perfect but I think they are way above everyone else in the field.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:28 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
And carry extra fuel filters.
Right on Richard. Lately there have been a few posts regarding the secondary fuel filter Fleetguard FF63009 splitting. If others with 450 Cummins are reading this post, it does happen and that spare filter can save the day. I still remember Johnny Reno's post when he was stranded in nowhere Nebraska because of the same plastic filter that split. That was in 14 when those filter were first used. Trying to find one in NE when there were none in stock was a learning experience. If your coach has that plastic filter, carrying a spare can save a very bad experience.
Like Marc, I will not leave home without Coach Net and a full set of spare filters including water.
Mike, thank you for sharing your experience as bad as it was with others on how important carrying spare filters are. I have been stopped because of a plugged primary filter from bad fuel. Thankfully, I had the spare and was able to continue on.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote