RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #57

There is a connection to Class A Diesel motor homes and that is Boat. Almost all the prices we pay for both parts/supplies and labor are very similar. As many have said we couldn't own and travel 20K miles for over 175 days without doing almost all service and repairs to our own coach. We have found time and time again if you want it done right do it yourself plus save a lot.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #58

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
There is a connection to Class A Diesel motor homes and that is Boat. Almost all the prices we pay for both parts/supplies and labor are very similar. As many have said we couldn't own and travel 20K miles for over 175 days without doing almost all service and repairs to our own coach. We have found time and time again if you want it done right do it yourself plus save a lot.

I would if I could - but Iím not mechanically inclined and too old to get up and down and carry heavy things. Thus, I pay to have the maintenance done.
2019 Ram 1500
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnontheroad View Post
I bought a 2009 Monaco Camelot new and owned it for 9 years. Other than tires and annual service I have very little expense on this coach. On the average without the tires my annual expenses were around $900 a year.

Now I have a 2015 Entegra, also the the same configuration as my Monaco (Cummins 425, tag axle, 4 slides, Aquahot) and in 19 months my repair costs... not covered by my NIRVC warranty.. have been around $4,500. It certainly lends some credence to the statement ďthey donít build them like they used toĒ.

One other expensive item is repairing any damage caused by myself. I scraped a stump hidden in some bushes and damaged three bay doors. NIRVC quote: $12,000. Fortunately there is a highly regarded coach customizer who will fix it for under $5,000. But any body work on a coach gets very expensive very fast.

Attachment 263475

We did that to our new coach on our first trip out 🤬. We had the local body shop fix our 4 bin doors for just under $5k. Ours was a short stack stone wall hidden under some bushes in a narrow parking lot. $12k sounds just way out of line.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:15 PM   #60

Entegra Owners Club
Who told you this was going to be cheap?
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Currently in the PNW, heading south and back to TX in October.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
We did that to our new coach on our first trip out 🤬. We had the local body shop fix our 4 bin doors for just under $5k. Ours was a short stack stone wall hidden under some bushes in a narrow parking lot. $12k sounds just way out of line.
Itís a difference in how business is done. The repair shop will bang out the dents and repaint. Their reputation in doing perfect repairs is unequalled. Most of the expense is in time.

NIRVC OTOH will replace four doors, then repaint etc. So their costs include big bucks for the doors and then they still have to install, prep and paint.

Iím sure either way the results will be excellent. But since insurance isnít covering this Iíll take the cheaper way.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #62

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Of course, it's NOT cheap...but...is it worth it?

Buying a motorhome to save money on travel is like buying a boat to save money on fish.

The math just doesn't work.

For us, it's always been more of a cost/benefit question.

The first question on the cost side is: Can you afford it? Not everyone can. We've been blessed through our lives in ways that make us comfortable that we can afford the cost without putting life's necessities in jeopardy. We consider the motorhome lifestyle to be a luxury and enjoy it very much.

Since we started this about 10 years ago, the benefit has exceeded the cost. Of course, that's a very subjective assessment. At some point, it may come to be that the cost, in our opinion, exceeds the benefit. If/when that happens, we'll move on.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-21-2019, 05:02 AM   #63

Entegra Owners Club
Stu- love the analogy. Have heard the argument made that an RV will save you money on travel. Itís never worked in my experience, but wouldnít trade the lifestyle.
Tim Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #64

I think it depends on how long the trips are that you take and how much you would spend on the same trip using a different method of travel. We generally use our coach 120 nights each year. We are fortunate to be able to use it that much. Including the cost of the coach, coach specific costs, site costs we average about $100 per night less than a hotel we would consider staying in. (Yes, Iím a nerd and track every expense) We stay in a variety of places in the RV some expensive, some not. We stay in reasonably nice hotels when we use that method. This year we took a 14 night cruise that cost us more than the 4 months we spent on the road in the coach last summer. No travel is cheap and anything you own requires maintenance and will cost you both money and time.

For us, we know that we wouldnít have done, nor would we have seen the things weíve seen over the last 8 years without the coach. It is getting more expensive out there, though. I imagine weíll be priced out or age out eventually.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #65

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richnewman View Post
One year old on our new/old 2001 coach. $3,100 Goodyear, $2,000, CW , $10,000 Cummings, and $,1000 at Freightliner. Oh and our $400 serpentine belt installed why we were sitting on the side of the road. Well thatís behind us and weíre hoping for better times down the road. I have to say it scares me every time I read about someone elseís nightmare encounter.

Trying to stay positive. 🤩
I carry a spare belt and can do mine in 10 min or so. Spare belt can be a used but still serviceable one, but a new one is about $50.
Cummins has about $53,000 of my money for the ISX repairs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #66

cost is non-stop

I don't know what is more galling about the cost of operating the coach in that it never stops or the overpricing and gouging that goes on with repairs and parts.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:38 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I carry a spare belt and can do mine in 10 min or so. Spare belt can be a used but still serviceable one, but a new one is about $50.
Cummins has about $53,000 of my money for the ISX repairs.
Iím not mechanically inclined at all. When my belt broke Good Sams sent a half ass mechanic out that took 2 hours to change my belt. I finally had to tell him to put the belt over the smooth pully last, after googling it. It took him six hours to locate the belt on a Saturday afternoon. I now carry a spare. This guy showed up wearing a pink fuzzy hat, shorts, bare feet and no teeth. This is my second motor home and first diesel.

Iím hoping I can get three years of travel out of it. However the more stories I read, I feel like Iím driving a ticking time bomb down the road just waiting for the next disappointment. Sorry but itís been a costly year with surprises around every corner so far. I still feel I chose the best make and model for the year and price. Hoping for better times ahead.
Richnewman is offline   Reply With Quote