Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Collision mitigation system

I am considering a new Cornerstone. I have seen many postings on the pros and cons of the passive teer tag axle, however, I haven't found any discussion over the "En-telligent Collision Avoidance system". I kinda like the idea because every seasoned rver has experienced someone cutting in front of them then suddenly slowing down, usually to exit the highway. I know it is preset for a distance of 3.2 sec and cannot be changed. My concern is how this reacts in heavy congestion when you have cars jumping in and out of in front of you. All the dealerships say they haven't heard any complaints. Any feedback from anyone who has this would be great.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #2

There are a few threads on this subject. Here is one that I found.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/how-...em-310246.html

The search up in the "google" box came up with a few more links.

There is currently a recall on the CMS. Seems that they mounted the boxes upside down..
Magic-carpet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
En-telligent Collision Avoidance System

This system was one of the main reasons that I bought a 2017 Cornerstone.
It works as advertised and overall is a great safety tool.

I will answer your question with my opinion of the real world operation of the system. In heavy congested driving conditions it is a real pain in the a**! There needs to be some adjustments to the system that will allow driver preferences to be considered. Most luxury vehicles that have this system allow you to adjust distances, turn it off and silence the audio alarms. I have experienced an interference problem with the system and did not appreciate losing my cruise control because of it being tied together. I will be at Entegra next week and plan to discuss these issues with them.

You will not regret buying a Cornerstone, they are great coaches.
My wife and I can't wait to hit the road as full timers with ours.

2017 Cornerstone 45B
texan9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We also enjoy our 2017 Cornerstone. In heavy traffic you can press the gas petal & close-up the distance, the braking is still there.. If you get to close you will get an annoying beeping, you are to close!!! The one thing that I miss is STANDARD CRUISE. When or if the Adaptive Cruise stops working.. We have driven 18500 miles with the new cruise & the side lane alert system. Great job Spartan & Entegra!!!
Anthem46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I wasn't too on board with the system 'til Ted Cook demo'd it to me at Octoberfest. It must not have been too bad cuz I pick up my new Cornerstone in April.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #6

Just a reminder that no collision avoidance system can change the laws of physics, nor can it make your brakes larger. Not a criticism at all, just remember that these rigs are heavy; slow down, and back off. I try to run in the middle, rather than the right lane when lots of on-off ramps.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
After deaing with the issues Tommy referred to, we have ours working as it is supposed to and we find it an advantage. It doesn't replace good driving habits.

I think Entegra has fixed the issues - we haven't had any for a while now.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I think it is a solution searching for a problem!
It pretty much works as advertised but the beeps and no "off" button is a problem!
As far as the dealers not hearing any complaints, if that's true, they haven't been listening. This thread is actually discussing 2 systems, collision mitigation system and adaptive cruise. Each has their own issues. I love my Cornerstone but would love it even more if like Newmar's King-aire, the systems were optional!
My collision mitigation system engaged unexpectedly at 70 mph while running down the highway. I lost 10 or 15 mph instantly! If I had of been in Atlanta and not the middle of Nebraska, it would have been bad! I asked Entegra and Spartan and they said that's never happened before!
A few months later, I got a recall letter stating the CMS may have been installed incorrectly which could cause it to engage unexpectedly! That's the problem with having so few systems actually on the road, we are the test dummies! I would rather be the only "dummy" with his foot on the brake!
With that said, the Cornerstone is still a wonderful coach!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:27 AM   #9

I second what Gary said. It seams like we become the test dummies on many things.

I opted not to get the system installed on my coach after looking at forums of truckers that have to install them on trucks. For the most part they didn't like the way the system worked.

In the end I was still contacted by Newmar saying I needed to have mine looked at because it may have been installed upside down. I am still thinking about whether or not I should tell them I don't have it installed. It might be funny to see someone trying to adjust something that isn't there.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty56 View Post
I second what Gary said. It seams like we become the test dummies on many things.

I opted not to get the system installed on my coach after looking at forums of truckers that have to install them on trucks. For the most part they didn't like the way the system worked.

In the end I was still contacted by Newmar saying I needed to have mine looked at because it may have been installed upside down. I am still thinking about whether or not I should tell them I don't have it installed. It might be funny to see someone trying to adjust something that isn't there.
I didn't realize the recall covered both Entegra and Newmar!
Seems like they both should have received a little more training on something that has control over the accelerator and brakes!
Old 03-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #11

I will not be seriously looking at a new Entegra (Cornerstone) until it is clear that I can turn any and all parts of the system off anytime I want them off.....The worst of the system is the adaptive cruise part. I would love to have help in reminding myself that there is someone beside me, but I DO NOT NEED the coach to help me decide how far I need to be behind the bonehead in front of me who just passed me 15 mph faster than I was driving and then immediately drops 10 mph below my speed to hit the approaching off-ramp..... I consider that part of my responsibility as driver is to decide how close I am willing to get to the vehicle in front of me before I make a lane change to another lane because the guy in front of me decided to slow down ..... No joke...... if that system can't be turned off selectively, then this coach will be my last new Entegra coach. A word to the wise at Entegra and Spartan.... Well, hello Newmar Essex.....

I'm not alone....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #12

I have had similar system on cars since 2005. Wife always hated the system and I like it BUT like mentioned above it can be adjusted plus I am driving a high performance sedan where folks are not often cutting in front of me. When they do it can cause brakes to slam on. I'd not want it in a coach. There I'm one of the slow guys and have no desire to have brakes slammed on when an idiot cuts over 3 lanes in front of me...

Tom
Old 03-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I will not be seriously looking at a new Entegra (Cornerstone) until it is clear that I can turn any and all parts of the system off anytime I want them off.....The worst of the system is the adaptive cruise part. I would love to have help in reminding myself that there is someone beside me, but I DO NOT NEED the coach to help me decide how far I need to be behind the bonehead in front of me who just passed me 15 mph faster than I was driving and then immediately drops 10 mph below my speed to hit the approaching off-ramp..... I consider that part of my responsibility as driver is to decide how close I am willing to get to the vehicle in front of me before I make a lane change to another lane because the guy in front of me decided to slow down ..... No joke...... if that system can't be turned off selectively, then this coach will be my last new Entegra coach. A word to the wise at Entegra and Spartan.... Well, hello Newmar Essex.....

I'm not alone....

Gary
I was told that Entegra is working on an "off" button for the adaptive cruise but it will probably not make the 2018 models. Spartan is supposedly having problems getting Meritor(the cms supplier) to add the off button! I think because the real business is in trucking and they don't want drivers to be able to turn it off.
When my 18 arrives I plan on a trip to Spartan to have the cruise upgraded to a 2016! I'm sure that will be cheap!
Old 03-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #14

Well, the trucking industry must have really changed its psychology since the good old days when I drove semi truck tractors. The old saying was clearly "Don't ever lose a Rev unless you absolutely have to" which is the reason that maybe you have noticed that your friendly professional truck driver will keep his foot to the floor and power right up to within a foot of your rear bumper going up a hill if he/she can't change into the passing lane because someone is blocking their path, or they will do the same before drifting into the passing lane and then pass you a half mph faster speed than you are going..... all to not lose a rev..... don't down-shift one second before you can't avoid downshifting...... never touch the brakes for someone in front of you.... change lanes but "keep the coals poured to it". Well, that was back in the good old days when the engines in semis were a hundred and fifty or more horses less than they are today and revs might take 10 miles to regain. I'm sure that things have changed a little, but I would be really surprised to hear that this is a popular innovation to professional drivers. I am guessing that they have figured the wire that needs to be cut to make that part of the system "go away". Remember those mechanical things in the cab that recorded your speed....? We found that if you kicked them hard 200 or 300 times, they eventually broke. Problem solved.

However, the point remains. There are lots of times where slowing down is not the right behavior when encountering a slower moving vehicle and I dont think they have come up with the "intelligence" yet to know the difference.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote