Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks, Rob, for your message. I think you make a very good point about the market's view of the TRW product. BTW -- my DW and I just put $ down on a 2013 Cornerstone. Glad to hear that you are missing the Comfort Drive.

2013 Entegra Cornerstone 45K
2012 Cadillac SRX and 2014 H-D FLHTK
P&GD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #16

I have no idea if the licensing agreement between Newmar and TRW has expired or not.

I do know that our 2012 Dutch Star 3735 (no tag) on a Freightliner XCR chassis has ComfortDrive and I am very pleased with it. There is no steering "bump" required, it easily maintains the intended course, and as mentioned earlier, it comes back to true upon shutdown. This coach does require some correction while being passed by an 18 wheeler in a crosswind probably due to lack of a tag axle. This ComfortDrive correction is made without drama.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&GD View Post
Thanks, Rob, for your message. I think you make a very good point about the market's view of the TRW product. BTW -- my DW and I just put $ down on a 2013 Cornerstone. Glad to hear that you are missing the Comfort Drive.
Welcome to the Entegra Owners (well not a group...yet), but congrats on a Cornerstone.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would gladly have paid the 7K if given the option. Compared to my 03 Excursion and our now 2012 with the Spartan chassis, what a huge difference, no automatic lane changes with a high cross wind. My point, MH manufactures, why not offer this, what those that have it profess as great to all potential buyers. Makes great marketing since. JMO!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Comfort Drive vs ??????

I have driven a 2013 Newmar with the Comfort Drive with IFS, and I bought an Entegra Aspire with a hard axle. I couldn't tell the difference. My old coach was a Monaco with single rear axle so I am blown away by driving any tag axle. Maybe tag axle experts can feel the difference, but IMHO it didn't matter.

If I had the luxury of picking between two identical Entegra's, I would've paid the extra for the IFS.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I've had the experience of driving a Mountain Aire 43' tag axle chasis (Freightliner) with Comfort Drive for a recent road test article in an upcoming FMCA Magazine article. I also drove an American Eagle 45' tag axle chassis on the Spartan version of the Liberty chassis as well as a 42' Revolution on the Freightliner version of the Liberty chassis. I currently own an Allegro Bus 42' tag axle coach on a Spartan chassis and have driven every one of the Entegras, from the solid axle Aspire to the 600 HP K3 Cornerstone. So, I do have some experience with various chassis and I'm a sporty car type of driver. I'd be much happier in a Ferrari than a limo.

I found Comfort Drive to be "different". The Mountain Aire had an adjustable dial so that I could vary the settings, which was good. I prteferred it set to the full stiff setting, which pretty much minimized the effect of it. I didn't care for the light touch steering wheel because I felt disconnected from the chassis and couldn't feel the road. On a tag axle coach there really wasn't that much need for it but I'm sure that it would help more on a single axle coach. Also, I'm in pretty good shape. If I was 20 years older and had sore shoulders I might change my opinion of it. When the dial was turned to full assist you could spin the wheel easily if you were trying to maneuver into a tight spot with zero effort. I don't have a problem with that anyway, but again, if your arms tire out easier it might be a plus. Another thing it does is center the wheels when you switch off the ignition key. There's no way you can turn the wheels with the key off. But that could help because the wheels won't be sideways when you dump the air backs to level the coach so that isn't all that bad.

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't order it if it was optional but if it was standard equipment on a coach I really wanted I wouldn't shy away from it. I'd just dial it to the full stiff setting. But, I'd rather have the cost savings instead.

By the way, the exclusives are done and over. Tiffin looked into it for their Powerglide chassis but decided that the additional cost didn't warrant the gain and would put them at a competitive disadvantage.

FWIW - The Entegra is the best handling coach I've ever driven - bar none. The solid axle Aspire blows away any Phaeton and the Anthem blows away anything in the 400-450 HP tag axle class while the Cornerstone raises the bar even higher. For Entegra to add Comfort Drive would be a waste of money.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks, Mark. I highly value your opinion in these matters. Your contribution is much appreciated.

2013 Entegra Cornerstone 45K
2012 Cadillac SRX and 2014 H-D FLHTK
P&GD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #22

Mark, I know exactly what you mean. I did not know it at the time i purchased it, but I have comfort drive in the new cornerstone. This is how i know it is on the my rig. I get in the cockpit, adjust the seat until i am comfortable, adjust the SLS on the Hadley system so i am comfortable, make sure DW is comfortable in her seat, get up to highway speed, touch cruise control and believe me it is a comfortable drive. You can't beat it IMHO.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Mark,
Thanks for the comfort drive review. After reading your explanation, I feel like I understand why some people value it while others do not. I have always wondered what it felt like, but never enough to test drive one.
You da man!!
Thanks again, Gary
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
I've had the experience of driving a Mountain Aire 43' tag axle chasis (Freightliner) with Comfort Drive for a recent road test article in an upcoming FMCA Magazine article.
Mark,
I'm actually waiting for your "Newell" review. Specifically, although 3 times the price of the Cornerstone, is it worth it? Can't wait, although practically, I'm still in the Anthem price range if I don't want to incur debt.
Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I'll be there in 3 weeks. Naturally, it's the cutting edge but if you have to think about the price, you probably shouldn't have one. For those that can swing it and still have lots of cash left over its a no-brainer but those are far and few between. I am looking forward to picking through the details on the Newell. Interestingly enough, the week prior I'm doing a review and test of a Global Expedition Vehicles unit. Now that's going to be a real contrast in function.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #26

The week prior I'm doing a review and test of a Global Expedition Vehicles unit. Now that's going to be a real contrast in function. [/QUOTE]

I saw one of these once in the desert south of Tucson ... but think Afghanistan would be a better environment
Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #27

Comfort drive is like any other upgrade/item you can have on a coach. Is it a deal breaker? For many that drive a Newmar they will tell you it's something they will never do without again... That may sound a little strange to some but you will hear many people also say they will never own a coach without a full wall slide or without a Spartan chassis etc. it's all what each person wants... To truly understand comfort drive you actually have to experence it, unfortunately most people only get that 3-5 mile test drive to and from a dealers lot... Should Entegra look into putting it on their coaches, I personally think so, Entegra and Newmar mirror each other so much already adding the comfort drive may bring a number of Newmar owners over to the Entegra brand when shopping for a new coach
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote