Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2022, 09:23 PM   #1

Confession

After 14 years of motorhome travel I finally neglected to lower satellite.

I commented to my bride dang they need to trim these trees. Passing under the next tree I watched my truck getting covered by leafs and limbs through the camera. Followed by a gentleman in a passing car wildly waving his arms.

Living the dream, new reflector and arm on order.

Michael
Fergtiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2022, 03:19 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Not hard to do. I was fortunate to notice the driver of a car behind me waving frantically out the window. Thought that was a bit odd, so pulled over to be told our dish was still up. Nothing damaged but my ego. Haven’t had a repeat.
Old 09-25-2022, 05:01 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Done it with the awning over the entry door - that's a hard one to miss.....twice (no damage, but that ego too)
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:17 AM   #4

Its part of the final walk around..... walk away from the front of the coach about 80' and gaze at the beauty of the front cap and then let the eyes wander upwards until staring at the roof. That final walk around is looking at tires and inflation, turn signals, hitch connections bay doors, etc. before that final gaze to the roof (sat antenna), but the coach never goes into gear until that extended walk is completed.

Has saved my butt more than once !!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:36 AM   #5

This is why I use and suggest others use recipe cards. I have about 20 cards I keep in a box made for them. On each card I have something written. Things like: Satellite dish up, antenna up, water hose out, Wye on post, drain hoses out, awning out etc. etc. When I put something into play I clip a card to my steering wheel with a clothes pin. When I'm picking up to move out I put the cards back in the box as I'm completing each task.
Before I drive away I do a 360 degree walk around and check under and over my coach before I move it.
The cards are fool proof but only if you use them.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:02 AM   #6

We have a bright piece of cloth ribbon that we wrap around the Brake knob as soon as we put the Satellite Dish up as a reminder to put it down. That same ribbon goes on the Winegard Box as a reminder when we hit the Power Button.

It's a KISS method but has worked for years since our 2000 Winnebago Journey days .

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:10 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
We have a bright piece of cloth ribbon that we wrap around the Brake knob as soon as we put the Satellite Dish up as a reminder to put it down. That same ribbon goes on the Winegard Box as a reminder when we hit the Power Button.

It's a KISS method but has worked for years since our 2000 Winnebago Journey days .
I "use" to put the ignition keys at the Satellite receiver. I don't know if the receiver is far away enough with the new electronic ignition, I'll have to try it and see. If not it will be back to your type of reminder, or the clothes pin on the steering wheel.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Fox View Post
Not hard to do. I was fortunate to notice the driver of a car behind me waving frantically out the window. Thought that was a bit odd, so pulled over to be told our dish was still up. Nothing damaged but my ego. Haven’t had a repeat.

My wife and I have had a motor home since the day we were married some 40+ years ago. We have see all kinds of hand signals at us while we try to figure out what they are trying to tell us. We have had compartment doors come open when not fully latched, low tires, antenna up, gas cans dragging behind our trailer that we were pulling, and I don't remember the other things. A month ago we were following behind an 18 wheeler and noticed that one of his tail lights were out. As we were passing him we were trying to think what the hand signal should be for letting him know his left blinker trailer light was out. We got a lot of laughs coming up as what the hand signals should be for different things.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:49 AM   #9

Checklist

When starting to RV in 1997, I adopted the exercise of a pre-travel check list like when I would get the tug underway. Also when learning to fly. (pre-flight check).
The attached check list has been developed over the years and adapted to cover our existing bus or trailer.
Hope you can use it after adapting to your situation. It is in EXCEL format.
I have it printed on both sides and then laminated and use a dry erase marker for checkoff.

Safe travels..The Balladeer
Attached Files
File Type: doc R.V. CHECKLIST.DOC (38.0 KB, 33 views)
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:46 AM   #10

Good checklist, Gregg – very comprehensive!

I noticed two very minor errors you may wish to correct:

Under “TOW-CAR & LIGHTS CHECK” step #3 “BREAKS” should be “BRAKES”

Under “ARRIVAL SET-UP CHECKLIST” step #2 “SET PARKING BREAK” should be “SET PARKING BRAKE”
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Its part of the final walk around..... walk away from the front of the coach about 80' and gaze at the beauty of the front cap and then let the eyes wander upwards until staring at the roof. That final walk around is looking at tires and inflation, turn signals, hitch connections bay doors, etc. before that final gaze to the roof (sat antenna), but the coach never goes into gear until that extended walk is completed.

Has saved my butt more than once !!

Gary
Even though I use steering wheel bands for reminders I find that the walkaround is essential. A chance to check lights, antennas and dishes, compartment doors, awnings and anything you may have forgotten, not to mention a big rock or a sign you may have forgotten about and need to maneuver around. It's also the perfect amount of time for warm up: start engine, get out and do walkaround, drive away.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:03 AM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
What I Do is before I raise the Sat dish is to hang an old Necklaces style ID tag on the pull knob of the overhead cupboard above the drivers seat so it hangs directly in your face...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:14 AM   #13

Edited version

Larry,
Thanks for the corrections.
You are not by any chance related to my beloved English teacher Mrs. Finnerty are you.
She would be chagrined at my mis-spelling.

I know the list is extensive, but until you start listing the items, you don't realize how many things you can forget; any one of which can be expensive.

Attached is the corrected version. Also, the document is in WORD not EXCEL. Sorry

...Gregg
Attached Files
File Type: doc R.V. CHECKLIST.DOC (38.0 KB, 24 views)
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:36 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balladeer View Post
Larry,
Thanks for the corrections.
You are not by any chance related to my beloved English teacher Mrs. Finnerty are you.
She would be chagrined at my mis-spelling.

I know the list is extensive, but until you start listing the items, you don't realize how many things you can forget; any one of which can be expensive.

Attached is the corrected version. Also, the document is in WORD not EXCEL. Sorry

...Gregg
Gregg, I was a math major and not inclined to offer spelling or grammar recommendations. I was thinking of suggesting that your first item:

"1. DRAIN AIR SYSTEM AIR TANKS ONE _______ TWO ______THREE _______"

be modified to indicate the Spartan recommended order: Gray, Green, Red.

Upon looking at your corrected checklist, I notice that you've modified it:

"1. DRAIN AIR SYSTEM AIR TANKS ONE _______ TWO ______THREE _______"

That works for me as I'm not color blind.

Awesome!

Take care,
Stu