Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2021, 10:58 PM   #1

Considering used Cornerstone

Going to look at a used 2015 Cornerstone 45B. Is there anyone here that owns one that can tell me of certain problem areas I should look for? This will be my first Motorhome.
T_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 08:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Roy View Post
Going to look at a used 2015 Cornerstone 45B. Is there anyone here that owns one that can tell me of certain problem areas I should look for? This will be my first Motorhome.
There have been a lot of problems the way the waste dump is set up on the 2015. The dump exits the tanks on the passenger side and then turns to go back to drivers side to actually dump the tanks. Poor set up and lots of leaks where hose connects on passenger side.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #3

IMO, that was not a big problem, but I owned a 15 Cornerstone.

I have not heard many serious problem with a Cornerstone. Someone recently posted about a used 15 Cornerstone that they were looking at that was putting out quite a bit of smoke out of the Cummins and most of us were telling him to steer clear or have that looked at quite a bit.

There were a ton of problems (minor) with blinds failing in that vintage, some with alignment issues, the 600 Cummins is a beast. There have been minor motor problem but nothing universal and was covered by a recall. Im not coming up with a lot else that is serious.

Is this from a dealer or is this a private seller? Some dealers I would trust, and some I would not.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:

I have had a 15 CS with a J floor plan since March 2021 and itís our second coach. (First was a gasser).

We have had relatively few issues:
- water pump replaced
- several window shade motors (a very common issue)

I have also replaced my steer tires and am about to replace the rears. Assuming yours has original tires, you should plan on replacing them all (est: $8,000).

Overall I have had few issues and am very happy with the coach.

Itís a lot of Coach for your first one. It will be helpful if you are handy and can do some of your own maintenance and repairs.

As far as what to look for, I would suggest a few things:
- try every system and feature end to end
- check all fluids in the engine, generator and aqua hot. If they are low that may be an indicator of poor maintenance or an issue.
- be sure the generator starts and runs well.
- check all three A/Cís for cold
- check all heating zones and options for heat.
- if you are not familiar with the systems of the coach, I would suggest hiring an RV inspector.

Engine mileage probably does not matter. Check generator hours. Too few is an issue (they need to be run regular)
dirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #5

Might also consider getting a certified inspector to assess the coach. Third party inspectors arenít falling in love nor have to sellÖ..
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:54 AM   #6

Quote:

Is this from a dealer or is this a private seller? Some dealers I would trust, and some I would not.

Gary
It is from a dealer. A buddy of mine purchased from this same dealer several years ago and he has been pleased with them.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:05 AM   #7

Well, a reputable dealer should be in a position ton guarantee the coach for some period of time so id serious problems develop, they can be resolved at the dealer's expense.

I would still consider having the coach examined by someone who really knows coaches (e.g. an inspector). You said that this is your first coach and there is a lot to learn about motorcoaches. The coach is roughly 6 years old so I would not worry about scratches and dings (instructions to inspector and only worry about major operational issues. JMO

And if y ou want to explore dealer experience, you can probably search for the dealer name here on the forum and get some meaningful feedback. You have not mentioned the name, and I understand that, ;...... you can also PM people on the forum back channel for their private opinion.

Gary
Old 12-07-2021, 06:12 PM   #8

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I am going to get my Father in law to go with me, he was a heavy equipment mechanic before retiring and still has folks bringing equipment to him to be worked on all of the time. For the coach portion there is a 3rd party camper repair outfit close to my house and I am going to try to hire the owner to come with me to look over the coach equipment. Also I work offshore but for a few years on days off I helped a buddy with his roadside service 18 wheeler business.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:55 PM   #9

As far as the tires go the dealer is telling me they were all replaced in 2020. I will check the date codes on the tires and check for uneven wear along with tread depth and such.

As far as mileage goes the coach has just a shade over 52000 miles on it. I told the salesman that if any service work was due I was going to ask for that to be done as part of the deal.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:10 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I have a 15…I don’t think I’ve had any systemic issues than any other year. I would like to find a long term solution to the blinds in the front window. The screws simply pull out of the headliner over time. Frustrating. I’ve thought about somehow attaching an aluminum strip across the headliner to drive the self-starting screws holding the blinds. JMHO

Might add, if I bought a 45B of any year, the first thing I’d do is replace the L shaped couch with theater seating (Lambright).
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:42 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
One major problem with all of the 14 & 15's were the Aqua Hot pump motors. They are over $200. each to replace, $285 with the kit IIRC. There are 4 of them, 5 counting the circulation pump on the passenger side. It is three 9/16 bolts to remove the Aqua Hot cover. If it has the square 105 or 108 motors they are the problem motors. The 105's were recalled but replace with 108's that were not any better. The working replacement pumps are the round Buhler pumps.
When the 108 were replaced, AH did not cover those bad motors after the warranty period on the coach was up. The Buhler replacements were out of the owners pocket. Many owners let them slide until one failed and replaced them one at a time as needed. There are probably many Classics that still have known problem motors.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:05 AM   #12

I forgot pump motors when I listed problems, but Chuck is exactly right. The 105 and 108 pumps were just junk and failed frequently.... Just cheap Asian knock offs. The only pumps that are worth having are Buehler pumps.... they look different. AquaHot used good Buehler pumps before 2014, but the CEO and owner/designer of AH systems and his wife were murdered while they slept by their drug addicted daughter and new people were running the company (Google it) and decided they could save money using cheap Asian knock-off pumps and started installing them in ~ 2013 and 2014. They failed famously and talk was all the rage up here on this forum. Most of us that owned coaches of that vintage (for me, 2015 Anthem), ended up replacing all of them. Guaranteed to fail. I had all of mine replaced under warranty (with 108s) and some of those failed and were replaced by Entegra and I paid to replace the other half with good Buehler pumps.

AH went back to Buehler pumps about 2016 and continues to use good quality pumps.

Not a big deal but take the cover off and see what kinds of pumps you have. If you have some spare change, if you have any of the old style, get rid of them and replace only with German made Buehler pumps.

Gary
Old 12-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #13

Sorry if this is a dumb question but are all of these aqua hot motors located under a cover on the main aqua hot unit located in the storage bay?
Old 12-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question but are all of these aqua hot motors located under a cover on the main aqua hot unit located in the storage bay?
Almost. When looking at the AH, here are 3 short bolts, 2 on the side one on top. Remove that cover and the there will be 3 motor sitting in a row at the bottom. If round in shape=good, square in shape=bad.
There is another motor on the back side of the AH. That requires removing the carpeted panel on the back side of the AH from the passengers side. Its about 6 philips head or #2 square head screws

The 5th motor is behind a small carpeted panel under the kitchen on the passenger side basement compartment. That one is not a big deal, a $20. electric fuel pump motor from any auto parts store can replace that motor. No special mounts, it just screw to the wall. It is just a boost motor that pushes the fluid up to zone one in the front of the coach.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote