Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2021, 04:37 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Continuing saga of a water leak...

Two previous posts: Water leak on half toilet supply line, probably ran for two weeks before we caught it; rear camera not working. After shutting down the water for 2 days and 2 days with Serve Pro's fans and dehumidifiers I finally got to start cleaning and assessing damage. The basement is dry top to bottom, no musty smell. Still a very little drip coming out a hole in the ceiling over the Aqua-hot. Found the HDCMM behind the front TV and switched the rear with on of the side cameras, nothing. So it's the camera or something in the cable from the camera to the HDCMM.

Until this morning everything else I tried worked. Then I pulled in the slides so I could vacuum out the basement to start repacking our tools, parts, etc. Well the kitchen slide, drivers side, did nothing. The light over the passenger side controls went on, as it should, but nothing. Same with the Vega touch. Switched wiring at the module in the basement with the superslide, nothing. Cut the wires at the motor, no power. Took my 12 volt battery from my lawnmower, wired it to the motor and bingo! It worked. So somewhere between the module and the motor the wiring has quit. Probably water related. I'm thinking a new line will need to be run. I just realized I didn't check the power at the module for the kitchen slide, I guess that could be bad?! No water got to that area however.

As I'm loading up the basement I tried the macerator switch, nothing. There was corrosion between the relay and female plug in. Tried a new relay, nothing. Must be the female side. Not sure where to get that part if anybody knows.

We are traveling 7 hours to Lewisville tomorrow to get the water issue fixed, now I've got three more issues to fix. I wonder what other things will surface during our journey!

As with all issues I look for causes and preventative measures. Turn the water off when not using the coach is the obvious since I have no idea yet what caused the leak. On the other hand would I want this to happen during a long planned out trip? No! But if the water is off while we're gone for a day, or a month sitting at home and we catch the leak early, at least the collateral damage would be limited.

Hoping for an uneventful trip tomorrow!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2021, 05:11 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Wishing you safe travels and a relatively painless resolution. Please keep us posted.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:45 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
The female side of the relay is avalble on Amazon. You can purchase a new relay and connector as a pair also.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:21 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Chuck but as it turns out the macerator is bad...back to the beginning.

So the water leak turned out to be the line to the refrigerator which runs by the line to the toilet, but I couldn't see it, they found it and fixed it. It was rats that chewed through the line! That line I could have turned off by removing the filter and plugging the feed.

Next the slide wiring ground line was bad, they ran a new line. Again probably chewed through by rats. Staying with the rat theme, they had somhow gotten behind the camera/xcite screen, nested and chewed through the camera cable and other wires that I haven't yet discovered what they do. Project for next week.

No idea why the macerator died, probably scared of rats. Didn't have time for them to install, but bought one they had in stock and will install myself and save 5 hours labor (of course it will take me 10 hours but I'm cheaper).

Monday evening about 5 and the cable is on order and we're ready to go the next morning...almost. Turned on the AC to cool down the coach and nothing! Grabbed a tech and 45 minutes later he declared the transfer switch bad. There's a supply house down the street that carries them, they got it installed today. Tomorrow we go home.

Score 3 for the rats; water line, slide and camera. And 2 just coincidental; macerator and transfer switch. Loser, my wallet.

I've read on this forum a dozen ways to prevent rats and heard a few more from our fellow loungers here at NIRVC. Current plan is to use Bounce dryer sheets, Irish spring soap and sticky pads all through the basement and even in the dash area; and spray all around the pad I park on and other exterior areas of the coach. If nothing else the interior will smell good

Sorry for the long posts, but it's good therapy
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 11-23-2021, 07:52 PM   #5

Gary,

You're a shining example of why having a sense of humor is a prerequisite to Coach ownership!! Best of luck on the remaining repairs!
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:11 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Dang! Bummer!
Old 11-24-2021, 05:44 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Sure sorry to hear that. It is unreal the amount of damage rats can do. You just reminded me I need to get the protection back in the basement of the new coach. Now that it is turning cooler in FL, rats head inside and MH's are a haven for them. That is today's project, thank you for passing on the warning.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #8

You might want to gets these and set up all over outside. When you first install them you will go through the bait. Once you get rid of the rats you will only need to refill about every 4-6 months.

https://www.amazon.com/Exterminators...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

My son had gotten a rat in his trailer so he set a bunch out on a Friday, Saturday he had to refill them since they were all empty. Sunday, same thing. He returned the following Friday and they were all empty again. Saturday same thing. Sunday fills them all back up again and is out of bait. When he goes to buy more bait he tell the guy he thinks it is no good and they are loving it since he had to keep replenishing the bait boxes. After his second bucket of bait he had finally reduced the population where now he can go a month or more before having to reload.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:32 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I was hoping I would get some suggestions. This looks good for around the outside and I can use deterrents in and around the areas where there is wiring and water lines to chew on. Thanks!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 11-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Did you have any evidence of rats inside the coach?

We get rat traps at Home Depot - uses the same type of bait. In our area itís Palm rats that are the issue. So far, so good 🤞 Think Iíll pick up some peppermint oil too. I donít have a lot of faith in the Bounce or Irish Spring theories. Have neighbors who tried Irish SpringÖthe rats ate about half the bars when they invaded her attic - and were still alive and well until the exterminator trapped them.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
My storage location is in an aircraft hanger on a private estate right across the driveway from the horse barn with lots of rat attracting feed. For 18 years I have used bait blocks in the bays and the electric plug in rodent deterrents sold at Walmart. 18 years, knock on wood, no rats. A mouse once chewed the corner off one of the baits, never came back.
I couldn't find my electric deterrents yesterday, thanks to Google, I added Irish Spring until I pick up or find my plug in deterrents. In my situation, I think the rats would much rather have the grain in the barn than my Irish Spring.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
Did you have any evidence of rats inside the coach?

We get rat traps at Home Depot - uses the same type of bait. In our area itís Palm rats that are the issue. So far, so good Think Iíll pick up some peppermint oil too. I donít have a lot of faith in the Bounce or Irish Spring theories. Have neighbors who tried Irish SpringÖthe rats ate about half the bars when they invaded her attic - and were still alive and well until the exterminator trapped them.
Yes, droppings in the basement and in the dash! At this point I'll try anything.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 11-25-2021, 12:44 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
My storage location is in an aircraft hanger on a private estate right across the driveway from the horse barn with lots of rat attracting feed. For 18 years I have used bait blocks in the bays and the electric plug in rodent deterrents sold at Walmart. 18 years, knock on wood, no rats. A mouse once chewed the corner off one of the baits, never came back.
I couldn't find my electric deterrents yesterday, thanks to Google, I added Irish Spring until I pick up or find my plug in deterrents. In my situation, I think the rats would much rather have the grain in the barn than my Irish Spring.
DW suggested electric deterents as well. Added to the list.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 11-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #14

I rent out 20x60 garages for RV and car enthusiasts. I have a exterminating company come in and they place those bait traps in each of the garages. I also cut up Irish spring soap and put in every nook and corner as well as in the basement of the motor home. I also use the electronic plug in devices too. I also spray foamed the walls in hopes of keeping the nesting down.

So far no rodents and I'm happy but I don't know for sure which one works best

Tags
leak, water, water leak