Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #71

Entegra Owners Club
Went back through two years of Spartan Chassis posts. One very short thread two years ago. One person had a leak at the radiator cap. Obviously not all 450SL engine derivative, but I think hawgguy's questions are the type I'd be asking.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #72

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
So what is the experience on other brands. I would think that a Mountain Master chassis is for the most part a Mountain Master chassis, especially with the 450SL engine. There are a lot of them out there. While no problems would be best, and we don't see all of Entegras on this forum, with 1600 Aspires and Anthems on the road, 10 leaking radiators would represent 0.625% failure rate (or third standard deviation of successful radiators with no problems). OTOH, not sure the margin on the chassis would allow for much more in terms of failures before they would be forced to find the cause of the issues. It also raises the question of what is different over the years. This chassis dates back into the late 1990s from what I understand and has been very durable. JMHO
My personal sense is there are a lot more than 10, I have had two myself within a one year period. I also suspect it is only a anthem/aspire (mountain master) issue. I too would be very curious to know if this issue is specific to Spartan or is happening on other brands with ISL engines.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #73

Entegra Owners Club
I had a leak last summer that I did not post. It was a weld joint that Spartan authorized to be repaired by rewelding. It was a pinhole type of leak and I caught it early. They sent me to a shop in Rockford, IL that did a great job in less than a day of repair work. No radiator issues since the repair.
Bill in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #74

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
Who makes the radiators that have leaked, and has there been a change in supplier?
I asked the same question. Ten years on a Travel Supreme forum, all of us with MM chassis and never heard of a radiator leak. JMHO but I believe they are not the same radiators as before.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It looks to me like Spartan has gone from a steel/copper core radiator to an aluminum one. Members of the forum that own or owned a late model Country Coach should be familiar with the issues with an aluminum radiator. I do not think an aluminum radiator likes any kind of a twist.
Car1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
My personal sense is there are a lot more than 10, I have had two myself within a one year period. I also suspect it is only a anthem/aspire (mountain master) issue. I too would be very curious to know if this issue is specific to Spartan or is happening on other brands with ISL engines.
I hate to add to the pile! My 2015 Cornerstone had the same sequence of events. The sight glass broke...........3 gallons down............replaced the sight glass with the new flat style...........discovered leak by puddle.............brought it to Cummins N'West.........they took photos needed by Spartan...........shipped and replaced rad!
My question is why Spartan, knowing there is a problem that is occurring, is taking any of us to task on that same problem.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #77
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Just heard from Spartan - after inspection by the Cummins shop they're shipping a new radiator. Asked if it was same design/manufacture as the one in the coach - "yes". Did not authorize thermostat replacement.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #78
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Well, my radiator story gets even crazier...

The Cummins Bridgeway shop that I'm using here in Cincinnati advised Spartan that a new radiator was needed on Tuesday and Spartan did an excellent job of getting a new cooling package (radiator, CAC and enclosing frame) here very quickly so that the shop was able to start replacement on Thursday. Spartan was also very professional in communication with me, calling me on Tuesday afternoon to give me a full update on what they were doing.

I went by the shop this morning to check on progress and see the old radiator. They had removed the new radiator from the "Cooling Package" and installed it and the new bottom frame piece in the coach and were just finishing up reinstalling the decorative cover around the bottom of the frame. All that remained was to get it down off the lift, reinstall the coolant and do final checks and pressure test again.

Just got a call from the shop that the new radiator is leaking in roughly the same place as the first one!! So, I guess our coach will have it's third radiator in just 2,500-miles and four weeks of ownership.

Edit: once again professional response by Spartan - just called to say they had the third radiator ready to go out for delivery on Tuesday. That's really all I can ask of them at this point other than to find and eliminate the root cause of these failures for the long term.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #79

Entegra Owners Club
Ron, great report and thank you. I have also had great response to problems from Spartan. But like you three failures in a row from suppliers....come on! JMO, but it is starting to get a little nuts from suppliers! My replacements took six months (supplier denying fault) which is insane.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Man, you guys are spooking me about these radiator leaks!
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #81

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.....good for the first 20K miles.

Wmpbauer
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:14 AM   #82

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
Well, my radiator story gets even crazier...

The Cummins Bridgeway shop that I'm using here in Cincinnati advised Spartan that a new radiator was needed on Tuesday and Spartan did an excellent job of getting a new cooling package (radiator, CAC and enclosing frame) here very quickly so that the shop was able to start replacement on Thursday. Spartan was also very professional in communication with me, calling me on Tuesday afternoon to give me a full update on what they were doing.

I went by the shop this morning to check on progress and see the old radiator. They had removed the new radiator from the "Cooling Package" and installed it and the new bottom frame piece in the coach and were just finishing up reinstalling the decorative cover around the bottom of the frame. All that remained was to get it down off the lift, reinstall the coolant and do final checks and pressure test again.

Just got a call from the shop that the new radiator is leaking in roughly the same place as the first one!! So, I guess our coach will have it's third radiator in just 2,500-miles and four weeks of ownership.

Edit: once again professional response by Spartan - just called to say they had the third radiator ready to go out for delivery on Tuesday. That's really all I can ask of them at this point other than to find and eliminate the root cause of these failures for the long term.
Wow, you got me beat, it took 15k miles to get to my third one which is on the truck now and due here in Tampa on Monday, it shipped Wed. Will not be surprised if this one fails early as well, but a DOA? Something really stinks here. If not done already, I think Joyce will want to know about your situation too.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:14 AM   #83
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Something really stinks here. If not done already, I think Joyce will want to know about your situation too.
Yep - there's a significant supplier failure somewhere in the design/manufacture/QC consistency chain for these radiators.

I did call Entegra CS yesterday to give them an update on the situation - said I didn't need them to intervene for the short term because Spartan and Cummins Bridgeway are both being very responsive and professional around my immediate issues/needs, but I wanted them to know about the issue from a broader/longer term perspective. Mentioned that posts here are indicating it's a bigger problem than just mine.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:25 AM   #84

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpbauer View Post
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.....good for the first 20K miles.

Wmpbauer
Same here. (20K miles on my Aspire) Maybe our model year is good, or different. Keeping an eye on all this.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak