Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Cornerstone bay door latches defective

I've had mine adjusted twice. Yesterday one came open as I pulled into truck stop. Thankfully someone honked and stopped me before it hit a concrete barrier. Today TWO came open while driving. I called CS after hours number and insisted that they get someone to FIX these before there is a real problem. No reply as of yet. I don't need to have to replace bay doors along with the required painting. What a hassle that will be!
The last guy who adjusted them said he could not believe that Entegra would use such crappy door latches on a $600,000+ MSRP coach. I agree!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #2

Hope you get squared away soon. Mine seem to be fine, if fact, significantly better than my previous MH. I probably just jinxed myself.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know if Cornerstones and Anthem latches are the same, but knock on wood my 6 mo old Anthem latches work well. Maybe yours are not adjusted well?
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #4

I tend to agree they are not the best latch but they are pretty standard in the industry. The trick is to bend the wire arm forward to make it latch under the plunger further. When I prep one I take a medium sized pry bar and bend them forward As far as possible Doing this makes the door a little harder to open so I suggest customers put their knee against the door to take the pressure off the plunger when you pull on the handle. Also slamming the door will bend the wire latch back so if you want them to last close the door with the latch don't slam them shut. This is my first year working on Entegra coaches so I will be trying to get them to make several changes this winter I am building a list LOL. There is too much flex in the setup they use and it is too easy to bend which causes the doors to need constant attention.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:09 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
I tend to agree they are not the best latch but they are pretty standard in the industry. The trick is to bend the wire arm forward to make it latch under the plunger further. When I prep one I take a medium sized pry bar and bend them forward As far as possible Doing this makes the door a little harder to open so I suggest customers put their knee against the door to take the pressure off the plunger when you pull on the handle. Also slamming the door will bend the wire latch back so if you want them to last close the door with the latch don't slam them shut. This is my first year working on Entegra coaches so I will be trying to get them to make several changes this winter I am building a list LOL. There is too much flex in the setup they use and it is too easy to bend which causes the doors to need constant attention.
Great tip and one that I needed for one door that I haven't been able to adjust to close tight....thank you!

On slamming the doors.......on the Travel Supreme the latches broke easily. The latches were pot metal, and got hard to get once TS closed there doors...we treated those like gold. We kept them well lubed with silicone spray and pulled the handle to gently close the doors. Thankfully I still have that habit.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I did have one cargo door came open as I pulled into the resort. They were locked also.
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
We have been having this problem with the cargo doors ever since we got our coach. They have been adjusted about 5 times now. Since the last adjustment they have ( knock on wood) stayed closed. I still use a bungee on one door that kept coming open while driving down the road. We have even been stopped by the police because of an open cargo door. All doors were locked at the time.
14 Cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #8

[QUOTE=dlovitt;2247845]I've had mine adjusted twice. Yesterday one came open as I pulled into truck stop. Thankfully someone honked and stopped me before it hit a concrete barrier. Today TWO came open while driving. I called CS after hours number and insisted that they get someone to FIX these before there is a real problem. No reply as of yet. I don't need to have to replace bay doors along with the required painting. What a hassle that will be!
The last guy who adjusted them said he could not believe that Entegra would use such crappy door latches on a $600,000+ MSRP coach. I agree![/QUO

Sometime in 2014 Entegra quit making the doors for the Anthem and Cornerstone and went to the same outside vendor that made the Aspire doors. When they went to the new style door it now has a latch like a house door instead of like a car door. Very much movement and the new style can come open regardless of whether it's locked or not. Not nearly as good in my opinion. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=loisjop;2248780]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
I've had mine adjusted twice. Yesterday one came open as I pulled into truck stop. Thankfully someone honked and stopped me before it hit a concrete barrier. Today TWO came open while driving. I called CS after hours number and insisted that they get someone to FIX these before there is a real problem. No reply as of yet. I don't need to have to replace bay doors along with the required painting. What a hassle that will be!
The last guy who adjusted them said he could not believe that Entegra would use such crappy door latches on a $600,000+ MSRP coach. I agree![/QUO

Sometime in 2014 Entegra quit making the doors for the Anthem and Cornerstone and went to the same outside vendor that made the Aspire doors. When they went to the new style door it now has a latch like a house door instead of like a car door. Very much movement and the new style can come open regardless of whether it's locked or not. Not nearly as good in my opinion. Noel
That's exactly what CS told me today. Now they get to figure out how to fix the problem.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
The latches I'd seen in first half 2014 Anthems and prior are not the same latches that are in my 2015 Cornerstone. The discussion of the 3/16 gage metal loops that are obvious when the 15 Cornerstone bays are the ones referred to above WRT bending the wire to where the latch fully engaged. The 2014 and prior Anthems I am familiar with had a post "lock" that could actually be opened with a knife or other thin metal object by moving the dead bolt latch back. they also had a hook shaped latch, but the latch was for the most part was fully enclosed in the door. As this discussion proceeds, it may be useful to avoid confusion, to post a picture of the latch you are referring as both types had opening issues, but I suspect that the solutions may be different. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
On my '13 the electric lock and the key lock are separate mechanisms. Are the new latches more secure if you lock them with a key? Would that be a temporary "fix" until the real fix is forthcoming?
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Great tip and one that I needed for one door that I haven't been able to adjust to close tight....thank you!.
UPDATE:
Bending the wire striker forward as recommended by 1mainiac solved my loose door problem. I was out of adjustment on the wire mount and the door was still loose. Using 1mainiac method of taking a pry bar and bending the wire striker forward did the trick. The door is now nice a and tight. This was on the filter compartment door, the rest are adjust perfect.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
On my '13 the electric lock and the key lock are separate mechanisms. Are the new latches more secure if you lock them with a key? Would that be a temporary "fix" until the real fix is forthcoming?
Marc, if you're asking me that question, I haven't had the problem, but Dusty 56 and I have discussed the door opening issues and his thoughts. From what I understand, the answer is no to your question...but for different reasons. It sounds like the later 2014s Anthems have the same wire latch as the 2015s, and that fix will not work on the 2013 Anthem as they are different latches. Given what I've seen, they new latches would not be retrofittable as the mechanism is different. JMHO.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I will try to take a photo of mine tomorrow, completion date of MH 1/31/14.

Tags
door