Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBC View Post
One dealer told me the Cornerstone will not have to work as hard accelerating, climbing inclines, and cruising at higher speed, so the mpg performance on the 600hp vs 450hp should not be that much different.
Have him put that in writing with a guarantee to make up the difference in cash.
While we would all like to get 25mpg it ain't gonna happen. I'm just glad to have the opportunity to travel this great Country so I'm willing to pay the price. I guess one way to stay even is to invest in oil wells. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #44
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trose View Post
Does anyone have good numbers on 70 MPH fuel economy for each the Anthem and Cornerstone?
I offer this other little tidbit of info..... If mpg is REALLY important to you then you need to buy a used coach with at least 30-40K miles and NOT NEW. This is because the new engine is "tight" and won't get its best fuel economy until broken in, which many people have found to be at around 30K miles (keep in mind this is an engine that can go 500K easily between overhauls)

The mpg debate has been beat to death in other discussions.....the reason it's hard to get good accurate data is because you can't accurately compute mpg on just one trip, takes several thousands of miles at least to get accurate data, and then weather, generator, aquahot usage have to be factored in as well. Can't go by the trip computer entirely, can't just go by the "fill the tank to the top" method either. If the coach is only slightly off level, can have a big effect on how many gallons appear to fill the tank.

If you can easily afford the K3...... then go for it..... Passing all the trucks and other coaches up your first mountain will make it all appear worthwhile. :-)
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I offer this other little tidbit of info..... If mpg is REALLY important to you then you need to buy a used coach with at least 30-40K miles and NOT NEW. This is because the new engine is "tight" and won't get its best fuel economy until broken in, which many people have found to be at around 30K miles (keep in mind this is an engine that can go 500K easily between overhauls)

The mpg debate has been beat to death in other discussions.....the reason it's hard to get good accurate data is because you can't accurately compute mpg on just one trip, takes several thousands of miles at least to get accurate data, and then weather, generator, aquahot usage have to be factored in as well. Can't go by the trip computer entirely, can't just go by the "fill the tank to the top" method either. If the coach is only slightly off level, can have a big effect on how many gallons appear to fill the tank.

If you can easily afford the K3...... then go for it..... Passing all the trucks and other coaches up your first mountain will make it all appear worthwhile. :-)

I will totally agree with you on attempting to get accurate mpg data. We were just discussing this the other night with all the variables, and you have mentioned all the ones we were talking about plus one more, coach being level at each fill. Just one more reason why I gave up on that issue. However; my wife says if so, then why do I still look at the mpg screen on the trip comp? After a pause I told her: I dunno?

I guess bad habits are hard to break such as setting the trip odometer back to 0 when re-filling on all the cars too!

Ron.
BUS4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #46

Owning a Cornerstone and knowing others that own the same you can expect 6.5 towing through mountains pulling hard, and as much as 7.5 at 65MPH. If you just want to pass trucks on the highway I suggest you should buy a C7 Corvette instead. If you want a fantastic ride, more airbags, floating rear suspension, coach adjusting to road conditions, ability to raise and lower the coach by pushing a button, a 3 stage J brake when you are going down Monarch pass in Co. and the list goes on; buy a Cornerstone with the K3 from Spartan. IMHO
Old 01-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty56 View Post
Owning a Cornerstone and knowing others that own the same you can expect 6.5 towing through mountains pulling hard, and as much as 7.5 at 65MPH. If you just want to pass trucks on the highway I suggest you should buy a C7 Corvette instead. If you want a fantastic ride, more airbags, floating rear suspension, coach adjusting to road conditions, ability to raise and lower the coach by pushing a button, a 3 stage J brake when you are going down Monarch pass in Co. and the list goes on; buy a Cornerstone with the K3 from Spartan. IMHO
Always making lust with envy....thank you very much
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
What does "floating rear suspension" mean?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
What does "floating rear suspension" mean?
The ridewell 246 rear end is a ride sharing airbag system that smooths out the ride and self adjusts to road conditions. Spartan educated me on the ridewell and simply put it has additional airbags and the suspension adjust constantly allowing greater control and ride. Look underneath a K3 there is no mistaking that rear end for another rear end.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
The ridewell 246 rear end is a ride sharing airbag system that smooths out the ride and self adjusts to road conditions. Spartan educated me on the ridewell and simply put it has additional airbags and the suspension adjust constantly allowing greater control and ride. Look underneath a K3 there is no mistaking that rear end for another rear end.

Dusty, You are getting me even more worked up to get my Cornerstone in June! Sounds like I chose.....wisely!

Ralph & Janet
2015 Cornerstone 45K (on order for June Delivery)
2013 Ford Explorer
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippsfl View Post
Dusty, You are getting me even more worked up to get my Cornerstone in June! Sounds like I chose.....wisely!

Ralph & Janet
2015 Cornerstone 45K (on order for June Delivery)
2013 Ford Explorer
As the wise man said "you chose wisely grasshopper".

Ralph you will enjoy the ride. As an example DW does not really notice differences in the ride of any of my auto's. We had the MM chassis traded up to K3. The first time we went down the road she looked at me and said ( I wish I recorded it) " does this coach ride better than our last one or is it just me". When DW noticed I knew it was not just me justifying the $$$. It is worth the extra $$$. IMHO Oh yeah if you want to pass a truck on the highway or a mountain you can do that to
Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
As the wise man said "you chose wisely grasshopper".

Ralph you will enjoy the ride. As an example DW does not really notice differences in the ride of any of my auto's. We had the MM chassis traded up to K3. The first time we went down the road she looked at me and said ( I wish I recorded it) " does this coach ride better than our last one or is it just me". When DW noticed I knew it was not just me justifying the $$$. It is worth the extra $$$. IMHO Oh yeah if you want to pass a truck on the highway or a mountain you can do that to
Now you have me rethinking my thoughts
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
I just have to decide if that expression on my wife's face is worth $75k more. The cost would be partially offset by the expression on my face. Now if that Cornerstone did get 25 mpg and have all the rest of it's features it would be the "Uber-Coach".
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I just have to decide if that expression on my wife's face is worth $75k more. The cost would be partially offset by the expression on my face. Now if that Cornerstone did get 25 mpg and have all the rest of it's features it would be the "Uber-Coach".
Maybe downhill, with a tailwind?
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #55
aza

I'm wrestling with the Anthem/CS decision. Answers are coming slowly. Below are my remaining questions. Enjoy hearing from owners.

1) I understand the “sweet spot”, which I think is the maximum range of the vehicle (I was a pilot for 40 years… lots of charts to go by) is 63 MPH/1700 RPM on the Anthem and 70 MPH/1360 RPM on the CS. Is it possible that driving the Anthem at 70 which is over its sweet spot (not as efficient), and exactly at the sweet spot on the CS, that both would get the same MPG?

2) I would think that Towing with either coach, the CS with higher HP and Torque the MPG would not suffer percentage wise as much as with the smaller engine Anthem. Is this a true statement?

4) Do both coaches have all 1080P (high def) Televisions?

5) I purchased a Newmar London Aire coach in 2002 and it was so low to the ground that I often drug it going through dips, finally leading me to sell it. Does the CS have less ground clearance (lower to the ground) than the Anthem? Can the CS be raised via its air leveling system while moving through rough terrain?

6) I think that the The Vega-touch I-pad system does nothing additional to the already installed controls in the coach. My airplane had what is called a “glass panel” providing me with engine monitoring, fuel control, moving map, flight instruments. Does Entegra's I-pad system display engine monitoring information? Can I look forward to software updates to expand its capability? All I know so far is that you can operate the TV’s, the slides, shades, and lights… does it do more? Can anyone direct me to a web site that will fully explain the Vega-touch I-pad system?

7) I’m aware of CS’s major differences over the Anthem such as engine, transmission, air-leveling, electric basement drawers, electric generator compartment opening, granite counter tops, exterior paint design, but that’s about it. Can anyone direct me to a source with a complete list of the differences?

8) The moving map in my most recent Tiffin lost support after the warranty period (JBL said they no longer supported the unit). It couldn’t be updated and became useless. Does Entegra provide any guarantee that this won’t happen on their product?
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trose View Post
I'm wrestling with the Anthem/CS decision. Answers are coming slowly. Below are my remaining questions. Enjoy hearing from owners.

1) I understand the “sweet spot”, which I think is the maximum range of the vehicle (I was a pilot for 40 years… lots of charts to go by) is 63 MPH/1700 RPM on the Anthem and 70 MPH/1360 RPM on the CS. Is it possible that driving the Anthem at 70 which is over its sweet spot (not as efficient), and exactly at the sweet spot on the CS, that both would get the same MPG?

Very unlikely in my opinion. Weight and engine displacement take a toll on fuel economy.

2) I would think that Towing with either coach, the CS with higher HP and Torque the MPG would not suffer percentage wise as much as with the smaller engine Anthem. Is this a true statement?

I see very little difference in MPG whether towing or not towing, so small it is hard to measure.

4) Do both coaches have all 1080P (high def) Televisions?

Yes.

5) I purchased a Newmar London Aire coach in 2002 and it was so low to the ground that I often drug it going through dips, finally leading me to sell it. Does the CS have less ground clearance (lower to the ground) than the Anthem? Can the CS be raised via its air leveling system while moving through rough terrain?

I think the CS can be raised, but only temporarily as you have to hold the button. When the button is released it goes back to normal. CS people correct me if I'm wrong.

Having said that I've never had a clearance problem in the Anthem (yet).

6) I think that the The Vega-touch I-pad system does nothing additional to the already installed controls in the coach. My airplane had what is called a “glass panel” providing me with engine monitoring, fuel control, moving map, flight instruments. Does Entegra's I-pad system display engine monitoring information? Can I look forward to software updates to expand its capability? All I know so far is that you can operate the TV’s, the slides, shades, and lights… does it do more? Can anyone direct me to a web site that will fully explain the Vega-touch I-pad system?

A have been flying for 47 years and I have a glass panel of sorts in my airplane. I know what you are looking for and the Vega is not it. For engine monitoring you want VMSpc. Much cheaper than the Vega system, it will run on any full Windows tablet. You can get the tablet and the VMSpc for under $1000.

7) I’m aware of CS’s major differences over the Anthem such as engine, transmission, air-leveling, electric basement drawers, electric generator compartment opening, granite counter tops, exterior paint design, but that’s about it. Can anyone direct me to a source with a complete list of the differences?

8) The moving map in my most recent Tiffin lost support after the warranty period (JBL said they no longer supported the unit). It couldn’t be updated and became useless. Does Entegra provide any guarantee that this won’t happen on their product?
Entegra is using Rand McNally, the same software is also on the Good Sam GPS. I think Rand is in it to stay.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote