RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #1

Cornerstone or Anthem?

After narrowing down my search for a motorhome, I am now trying to decide between a 2015 Anthem and a 2015 Cornerstone. I am just not sure I am able to justify the additional money for a Cornerstone. However, I do like the Cornerstone's air leveling. Tiffin offers this as an option of the Allegro Bus for $3,500, so not sure that alone justifies spending a lot more money on a Cornerstone. Would the K3 and 600hp be justification alone? Even, assuming one buys the Cornerstone at the right price, one of the nagging concerns I have is how much of a bigger hit after 3 to 5 years when I sell it or trade it in on a newer one vs an Anthem? Supply vs Demand? Are used Cornerstones harder to come by and therefore would they be easier to sell down the road? But there may be many more people ready willing and able to buy a preowned Anthems than a preowned Cornerstone? Any Cornerstone or Anthem buyers care to share your thoughts on your buying decision?
RobertBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I am considering an upgrade...not because I'm unhappy with my Anthem, I love it, but now I wished I had added the Cornerstone to my decision process 18 months ago...then I'd already be in one. The Cornerstone is a great buy for the dollar, maybe the best in the mid-tier market. The K3 with air provides a superior ride, I'm told and I believe. I pull a lot of toys...think I'd like the additional torque and HP as well. Somewhat nicer interior is also a plus. Downside, you've got a few more choices on floor plans with Anthem.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you trade, there will be fewer Cornerstones out there to compete with, and I kinda think it will be a great coach downstream for resale. Think Anthem will be as well, although both are going to depreciate. JMHO

Have fun with your choices...good choices to have!
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBC View Post
Would the K3 and 600hp be justification alone?
IMHO yes. I think you have to go to a Newmar Kingaire to get the K3 chassis (for a lot more money). K3 is HEAVY DUTY :cool
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Cornerstone/Anthem

IMHO: Chassis and engine are surely legitimate issues, interior is personal taste. The Cornerstone interior follows the "high-end" coaches approach but for me, I do not care for the Vegas/Bordello look and did not consider the Cornerstone solely for that reason, despite my DH lusting after the engine!
TegraTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
It really comes down to personal preference and how one uses a coach. We have an Anthem on order, looked at the Cornerstones and looked at one again yesterday at a small show. Just me personally, We like the softer leather on the Anthem. That is just our personal taste and our one of two deciding factor between the two. The second for us was the 600 HP engine. We are travelers, not staying in one spot longer than a week and not towing a heavy load. For us the added HP and lower millage was overkill for our needs. The Cornerstone is an outstanding coach, but our needs were satisfied with an Anthem.

As for resale, depreciation on one or the other are going to be the same percentage wise. Resale really depends on what the economy is when you go to sell it. My recent MH sold for more this year than it would have 2 years ago because of the economy and the RV market coming back, with no shortage of buyers.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
This is a question that constantly comes up and I think it is really the husband saying "I need more power(because is there really such a thing as too much hp)" and the wife saying "We are not spending that much on a mh" From a practically standpoint, Where are you going to spend most of your time? If it is out west and you can afford it, I think you should go for the cornerstone. Both coaches have excellent road manners but the cornerstone is better and negotiating 6 and 7 degree inclines with the added hp is much nicer. If you live east and plan to stay there with only the occasional visit out west, the Anthem is great. You will be happy with either and I am only speaking to your question about horsepower. JMHO
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #7

For me the simple answer would be if budget allows go Cornerstone.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roubaix View Post
IMHO: Chassis and engine are surely legitimate issues, interior is personal taste. The Cornerstone interior follows the "high-end" coaches approach but for me, I do not care for the Vegas/Bordello look and did not consider the Cornerstone solely for that reason, despite my DH lusting after the engine!
Vegas Bordello Look?? What Cornerstone have you been looking at? I really don't see that much difference between the interior (other than floor plans) in the Anthem vs: the Cornerstone. There are some upgrades on materials and furnishings but, I don't see all the glitz that I would see in something like a King Aire. (Lighted Kitchen Sink, really??)

I have a 2015 Cornerstone on order. When you really consider the price differences, the biggest difference is the K3 chassis. This adds the majority of the costing differences. The interior differences add some cost but, not that much. There are some nice things on the CS (granite countertops, new residential type shower and fixtures, Villa furniture, powered Generator and storage slides, etc.), but the Aspire and Anthem aren't exactly Spartan (no pun intended). When we were looking at coaches, I was sure that I wanted the K3 chassis - thank god the wife liked the interior of the CS.

The resale value is an interesting factor to consider. How many Cornerstones do you see on the used market. Very Few. First of all, Entegra hasn't built that many. Second of all, when they do come up for sale, they tend to sell quickly. A lot of Anthem owners who want to upgrade (and the Anthem sets a high standard to begin with) would probably look at a Cornerstone first.

I think, and it is only my opinion, as Entegra builds on it's reputation (which is happening in a hurry) demand for new and used coaches will only increase. Given the relative limited number of Entegras out there - especially Cornerstones - one could reasonably suggest that values should hold better than some other brands. I am not suggesting that they are an investment opportunity. It is just that we may take less of a "hit" over time.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #9

This is exactly where I am now. It's between Allegro Bus and Cornerstone as those offer auto air leveling. The Cornerstone floor plans are restrictive but forum members have reported they will be offering lighter colors - thank goodness! I wouldn't think the 600hp would use too much more fuel if you kept your foot out of it and with the Added torque that should be easier to do. Today's traffic makes getting onto freeways in a long heavy RV gut wrenching at times and the extra power would certainly help there! The Cornerstone is another $100K but it seems like they are holding their value a tad better than the Anthem and much better than Allegro Buses.
One way you could look at it - down the road you trade or sell it at 60% depreciation, you get back 40% or $40K of that $100K extra you spent and all this time you have enjoyed the K3 chassis with auto air level and 150 extra horsepower! I guess I'm just trying to talk myself into a Cornerstone.
papaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Pretty much what I went through when we were making the decision. I figured that 3 years down the road, IF I sell the Cornerstone, I would lose about $40,000 more than if I bought and Anthem for $100,000 less. So, figure $14,000 a year for the differences. So for three years, I don't have to listen to "The Granite Countertops would have been nicer, the shower in this coach isn't as nice, why does it take so long to get up to speed, yada ,yada ,yada ...." THAT is worth more that $14,000/ year.

As for the mileage - let's say you get 1.5 mpg less than you would on a 450 hp Anthem. For the sake of argument, we will assume the average Anthem is getting 8.0 MPG overall. So the Cornerstone is getting 6.5 MPG. If you drive 8,000 miles a year and fuel is $4.00 a gallon, you would spend about $920 a year more for the extra ponies. Is it worth it? I've been a boater for 30 years and am used to 1.2 MPG. So for me, a Cornerstone is an Econobox!

The Aspire and the Anthem are both gorgeous coaches as is the Allegro Bus and you would not go wrong with any one of them. Just read what the owners on these forums think. Personally, and it only MY opinion, I would choose either the Anthem or the Cornerstone. Hey wait a minute!!! I did!!

Good luck with your selection, no matter what you chose and hopefully we will see you somewhere down the road.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippsfl View Post
Pretty much what I went through when we were making the decision. I figured that 3 years down the road, IF I sell the Cornerstone, I would lose about $40,000 more than if I bought and Anthem for $100,000 less. So, figure $14,000 a year for the differences. So for three years, I don't have to listen to "The Granite Countertops would have been nicer, the shower in this coach isn't as nice, why does it take so long to get up to speed, yada ,yada ,yada ...." THAT is worth more that $14,000/ year.
It's worth twice that
Old 01-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Chuck, are you getting delivery this week?
1360W Solar, BattleBorn LiPo 800ah
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
Chuck, are you getting delivery this week?
I checked the weather earlier and they are calling for blowing snow with below zero weather in Middlebury this week. I would be surprised if it leaves the factory before the end of the week. With that weather, I hope it doesn't leave.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
And when it gets down South, you'll want a good under wash...even if the snow is gone off the roads, they'll still be carrying a lot of salt on them.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote