Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Smile Cornerstone Traveling from MI,Pittsburgh, Key Largo Routes and Places to Stay OT WAY?

Hi Everyone!

We are new to the RV life and are looking forward to taking our First Major Road Trip down from Michigan to Pittsburgh to Key Largo, then to Naples, FL back to PIttsburgh, PA and then Detroit.

Can anyone out there recommend places we might be able to stay overnight on our Route? We are have an Entegra, Cornerstone 45 ft - slides on both sides and pulling a Ford F 150.
Any recommendations on a good Route to go both ways with places we can stay on the way will be so greatly appreciated!!!

Also - what can you recommend for Washing your Coach? Where? How?

I have so many more questions to ask! Hoping you can advise us! Thanks you!
-DelandJulia
DelandJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What time of the year are you planning on going and how long do you plan to be gone?

Washing the coach...lot's of truckstops have washing available, however i suggest you tell them to be careful of the high pressure spray getting into your refrigerator and furnace openings on the side of your coach.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:22 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you re: Traveling from MI, Pittsburgh, Key Largo and back, etc

Thank you for your reply!
Our Reservation begins in Key Largo, FL on Feb. 3 so we will be heading to Pittsburgh to pick up luggage from our Daughter/kids who will be joining us in Naples - and from Pittsburgh, Del and I begin for 2 weeks in Key Largo.
We will be traveling South From PA from January 30th - We head back on March 2 to Pittsburgh from Naples. Any advice/suggestions would be great.

Our Best to you!
DelandJulia
Old 01-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
You will need to call ahead to find campgrounds that actually have an open spot. If you are comfortable with dry camping, FlyingJ's, Walmarts, Sam's Club, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, Cracker Barrel, etc. will welcome you for overnights.

Have you discovered AllStay's Camp & RV App? That's a good reasource to prospect for sites during High Demand times.

Pat Bauer, President
Entegra Coach Owners Association
2017 Anthem DEQ
Ford Edge
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Cornerstone Traveling from MI,Pittsburgh, Key Largo Routes and Places to Stay...

Julia, perhaps it would help if you give the route you plan to take. Do you plan a stop over in Pittsburgh?

Safe travels, sounds like a nice trip.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:43 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
A few thoughts. We went from NC to Erie last summer and have gone down to FL many times from NC as have a lot of others.

Coming down from Pittsburgh you'll probably want to use the WV Turnpike. It's good - just watch out for the toll lane barriers. (A little birdie told me)

There is a KOA in Sutton WV that was pretty nice.

Then you're in to NC on I-77. There is a park in Galax, VA - Deerfield?

There are parks near Columbia and then you'd go over to I-95. Two of or favorites depending on how far we want to drive and from where are the KOA in Richmond Hill, SC (Savannah) or even better, Coastal GA RV Park in Brunswick.

From there it's a day's drive to Port St. Lucie and Motorcoach Resort and another day on down to Key Largo.

That is just one plan - I suggest All Stays app and we use RV Park Reviews extensively.

Enjoy!!
Old 01-16-2017, 05:26 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
If you do travel the Wva Turnpike use the extreme right toll booth as there is more room there and it is always open. A lot of trucks use that side and it as quick or quicker than the other lanes.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:15 AM   #8

Florida Keys

When you get to Florida take the Turnpike less traffic and it ends at the entrance to the Keys when in S Florida this time of year you will need reservations. We are at L&P Thompson rv park in S Miami just returned from a few days in Key West if you haven't
been there its worth a day trip.
1thomason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #9

If you are coming through Pgh, you will have very few places to stay as far as a campgrounds go. The local KOA is terrible to get to and I don't recommend it. We do have a Walmart in Washington, PA that allows overnight stops and there is also one 30 miles south in Waynesburg. West of Pittsburgh on I70 you will have a Cabelas and a Walmart. Both allow overnight stays. North of Pgh probably has a Walmart but I'm not familiar with that area.

Just assuming you will be coming out of Pgh on I79 south to 19 south towards Beckley and then jump on I77 south. That's the quickest and most direct route heading to Florida. One word of caution if you take Route 19, don't speed through Summerville, WV.

Down around the Wytheville, Virginia/Max Meadows area there is a easy on/off for the Ft. Chiswell Rv Park. I believe its open year round. Nothing fancy but its convenient.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Mike and Jeanne,
Glad you jumped in with that info. To me driving in Pittsburgh is a challenge in a car let a long with a 45' coach with a toad.
Went to the RV show and not sure I could of have found it without the Apple maps app.
Richard
Old 01-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Mike and Jeanne,
Glad you jumped in with that info. To me driving in Pittsburgh is a challenge in a car let a long with a 45' coach with a toad.
Went to the RV show and not sure I could of have found it without the Apple maps app.
Richard
Pittsburgh is a nightmare. I grew up here and we avoid the city as much as possible. I feel bad for people coming in from out of town and get into the three rivers area by mistake. You have so many quick lane changes and the signage is terrible. We always laugh about it but its true that they should add two more signs to each end of the Ft. Pitt Bridge... "You're LOST" and "You're Screwed"
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
With all the weather up north this year, I think they just hung a "No Vacancy" sign at the FL boarder. From what I have heard the parks are full. There are always cancellation and family emergencies where people have to leave. Call ahead for reservations while in route. That is a hard time of the year to travel in FL when the weather up north has been horrible.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:02 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Ha ha! Yes, the KOA is not a great spot! We found that out. Not going back there we don't think. We will probably just stay the night at the Marriott in Cannonsburg/Washington? Hopefully, just park the RV out back. Our daughter lives there, and we are picking up her luggage so she and her two little ones can join us down in Naples.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:04 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I will ask Del what Route he thinks we'll take and let you know. I am hoping we don't get bad ice and snow . . . newbies to driving this Beast!

Tags
ace, travel