Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2020, 07:26 PM   #1

Court rules in favor of owner of defective Newmar

Didn’t see this posted but an interesting article.

https://www.rvtravel.com/defectiverv935/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

"Newmar Laid Blame on Subcomponent Manufacturers"

Which brings up the point that all these units regardless of manufacturer are a sum of their parts and they all share OEM parts from industry wide manufactures. Go on any of the owners forums on this site and read the same posts about the same components. Our Entegras share the same components as the cheapest Fleetwood trailers. When those components fail routinely there is no recourse for us against those vendors. Since the accountants have control of the parts buying process there is little incentive for those part manufactures to put their best feet forward. They just need to hit the price point.

So let's not be smug and think bad of Newmar, it could just as well be Entegra. But let's have sympathy for the coach owner and the trials he went through. And I don't know if there could be a few of us that could have grounds for the same suit.

IMHO
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #3

That’s precisely why I posted, i was not taking a swipe at Newmar.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #4

This problem would most likely be with a Freight Liner chassi on over heating.. We were just at Colton Truck Terminal a Spartan Service location, which is great, and there was a 2020 Newmar London Aire that was on FL chassis being worked on because of over heating problem that FL could fix or find which sounds like what the biggest issue was from owners.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:14 PM   #5

I have a bit of a different perspective. Newmar or any other manufacturer sources the parts and quality. IF these companies drove toward higher quality in their sourced components there would be much less of an issue and a much higher propensity to make good. I think bbn it is a cop out to blame others.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:22 AM   #6

Bottom line---you(manufacturer) are responsible for the end product you produce. You want crappy products - use crappy materials, you want high quality - use high quality materials. Stand up and take responsibility for the product you produce. Don't blame someone else when you made the decision to use their products knowing the quality of the products. That's very immature.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
Bottom line---you(manufacturer) are responsible for the end product you produce. You want crappy products - use crappy materials, you want high quality - use high quality materials. Stand up and take responsibility for the product you produce. Don't blame someone else when you made the decision to use their products knowing the quality of the products. That's very immature.
Exactly

Car manufacturers are responsible for their sub components, why would an RV be any different. I work for Ford, we occasionally see bins from vendors with another manufacturer name on them, because we use the same vendors

2007 Signature Noble III 45' ISX 600 HP, Allison 4000
Jetskier50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:22 AM   #8

Interesting thread, we have been thinning about getting another RV and going to shows and dealers over the last year.... Our RV is a 2013 TT built in 2012 and at that point, we specified the options we wanted. So, we started to go out and look at RVs and were shocked at the lack of quality at any price. So I started a discussion on what I felt was the decline of the new units... and the number of quality issues talked about on IRV2 forums and the sales guy quickly pointed out the issues were with the subsystems in most cases... Refrigerator, heaters, AC systems.... and the like... and they carry a manufacturers warranty for 12 months... I can only imagine the look on my face when he said that... I just walked away! I
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I would not be surprised to see this decision effect the boating industry and many other small time mfg's at many levels.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:59 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Agree with txcpl. Newmar deserves everything the court puts on it. If there were enough of these type cases maybe they would do something about their lack of quality control and sub standard vendors ( KIB). True that it's not just Newmar but an industry issue but when you buy a Newmar you pay a premium and should expect more.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #11

I ran into a similar issue with a 2006 Ford F350 I purchased new. It had a Really bumpy ride at all speeds, some speeds worse than others. Took it in to Ford 4 times in the first 2 months. First they stated that it was just because it was a truck, and trucks have rough rides! I asked them what Ford had F'd up since 1999, since my 1999 F350 rode like glass on the highway. . . Then they stated it was the tires, and I would have to work with the tire manufacturer directly. I stated that I had purchased a Ford Truck, and Ford had chosen to put Continental Conti-trac tires on the truck, not me. I told them FORD owned the problem, not me. They disagreed. Finally I drove the truck to the local dealership, gave them the keys, and stated here's the truck, here are copies of the 4 work orders where you say you will not fix the problem, here's monthly costs to own the truck, including tax, insurance, licensing, depreciation, and cost to rent another vehicle while mine is undriveable. Also, here is the Case number for the complaint I've filed with the KY Office of the Attorney General, as well as the number of my complaint I filed with the DOT. Contact me when the truck is repaired.
They ended up putting a total of 14 Conti-trac tires on that truck until they could find 4 that would balance. I rejected some that had over 16 oz of tire weights. They also replaced two tie rod ends, some other suspension parts, and realigned the truck. Finally had a decent ride. Oh, and at around 30k miles two of the tires started delaminating while I was on a trip out of state . . . Turns out that SOME of the Conti-tracs had been recalled, . . . but NOT my WEEK of manufacture Later the recall was extended to include my week of manufacture, but since I no longer had the tires . . . . I was out of luck . . .

MAKE the manufacturer own their decision(s) to put on faulty or inferior parts. It's painful, it takes time, it may not be successful, but by God, I will cost them more money than owning the problem from the start would have cost them!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:05 AM   #12

Interesting thread. This can set a precedent for future law suits under the lemon law. I know my home state of NY has a strong LL. I sued Subaru many years back and won (settled out of court). I'm tempted to look into this considering my current issues.

Thanks to the OP
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
I have a bit of a different perspective. Newmar or any other manufacturer sources the parts and quality. IF these companies drove toward higher quality in their sourced components there would be much less of an issue and a much higher propensity to make good. I think bbn it is a cop out to blame others.
I agree. I also wonder how much more cost there would be to slow down the line and add quality up front. I’ve seen some casual work in some very nice coaches otherwise. Take out the rush of the assembly line, add in some time for the workers to do nice 90 degree bends and proper tie downs etc. Would you pay 10% more for a better built coach? I think I might.
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:28 AM   #14
Commercial Member

here is what i found over 30 years as a service manager at a winnebago dealership. if you have trouble with a component provided to the rv mfg, you get better service calling that component mfg. dealing with hwh, atwood, shurflo, a & e, suburban, etc, is the easier way to go if you have a warranty issue.
the chassis mfg and dealers are a whole other game. finding one that would do the work was always a problem. more often than i wished, i had to get the rv mfg involved in order to get the chassis problem fixed. good luck with that.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar