Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 09:29 AM   #1

Crestron App for 2017/2018 - Worth it?

Good morning all,

Was just looking through the archives and am not seeing any posts beyond 2018 so wanted to get your opinions. For those of you with 2017/2018 Entegra's, is the deprecated Crestron App for iOS worth the purchase? Given the $99 price tag, having the dubious distinction of being the most expensive app on the App Store, and being 2 years since the last update, I am not sure of its worth. Simply, would you keep it or give it back if you were able to retrieve your $99? If you would keep it, what features do you enjoy most?

Thanks in advance.

-Eric
BaldDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Since the Crestron doesn’t connect to the internet, it’s worthless! You can control slides and such from around the motorhome. I spent the $99. And it’s worthless!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use the app once in a while from my phone.
I have a 2017 Cornerstone so my capability is limited with the app.
It does not allow me to access remotely.
I can not adjust heat, air, floor heat, etc...

I do use it some for lights, awnings, etc....
I tend to do that more if I am setting outside. Inside I tend to just get up and walk over to the panel.

I also have to connect my phone WiFi onto the closed network of my coach. Then switch the WiFi back to my jetpack or turn wifi off in order for my phone to do regular things like email, etc...

I had similar thoughts about what a rip off it is to pay 100 bucks for an app. But I did it and moved past it.

One other thing that bothered me was the app does not work on my ipad. I would have to pay another 100 bucks for that app.

If the app gave me the 100% capability of the panel I would like it much more.
Add in remote access from anywhere and that would really be awesome.

Then you could do basic home automation things like turn the heat up or air down when you are traveling back to your coach after dinner.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #4

No

Doing almost anything via any of the apps is much more effort than it is worth.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I might add that since Firefly has moved on to their own app, it will never be updated. I did forget about what a pain it was, having to log on to the Cornerstone’s intranet every time you wanted to use it, then logging off for everything else!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #6

I agree with most if not all of the comments posted above, but will add one other point.

I bought the app and a relatively inexpensive Samsung tablet to run it on. My premise was that the app & tablet would provide a way to control various things in the coach should the Vegatouch panel have a failure.

Turned out to be a dumb idea on my part, as the app & tablet are only functional if the Vegatouch panel is alive & well.

Bottom line, I too would recommend keeping your money in your pocket
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
I agree with most if not all of the comments posted above, but will add one other point.

I bought the app and a relatively inexpensive Samsung tablet to run it on. My premise was that the app & tablet would provide a way to control various things in the coach should the Vegatouch panel have a failure.

Turned out to be a dumb idea on my part, as the app & tablet are only functional if the Vegatouch panel is alive & well.

Bottom line, I too would recommend keeping your money in your pocket
Larry, you are going to enjoy one of the new Entegras you have been looking at with the Wingard wifi and $14.99 app. If you hurry won't have to change the generator drain plug.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:58 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldDaddy View Post
Simply, would you keep it or give it back if you were able to retrieve your $99? If you would keep it, what features do you enjoy most?
Hi Eric,

The short answer: IF I could get a refund, I probably would.

When we took delivery of our '18 Anthem, I had an old, second generation iPad that was collecting dust and my DW now has a 3rd generation iPad Air that rarely leaves her hand while she's awake. I was a little reluctant to buy the app because I wasn't sure exactly how much control I would have of the VegaTouch commands through the iPads. But, I did it. After a couple of years using the app, it still seems a little expensive for the amount of control it offers.

Regarding the comments about internet connectivity while using the app, as long at the Pepwave router is connected to the internet and the iPad is connected to the Pepwave, both the Crestron app and all the other internet connectivity functions of the iPad work just fine. There's no need to be constantly selecting different WiFi sources on the iPad.

A regular contributor on iRV2 has an automation project that offers the ability to control all the lights and shades without the Crestron app. You can read about his project here: https://myervin.com/ I'm in the process of working with him to adapt his system to my '18 Anthem.

Although the initial expense of the equipment necessary is greater than the Crestron app, the eRVin technology appears to offer much more user adaptability than the Crestron app, even offering the capability to use Alexa to control lights and shades. Once you purchase the equipment that interfaces with the coach, the phone/tablet app is free. Further, the eRVin will work on pre-VegaTouch equipped coaches. Also, I believe that the eRVin technology should be controllable through a cloud based system giving you similar capability as the newer coaches. That is, if your Pepwave router is powered and connected to the internet, you would be able to perform all the control functions from any remote location where you had connection to the internet.

If you're curious, I'd encourage you to visit the site: https://myervin.com/

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi Eric,

A regular contributor on iRV2 has an automation project that offers the ability to control all the lights and shades without the Crestron app. You can read about his project here: https://myervin.com/ I'm in the process of working with him to adapt his system to my '18 Anthem.
Thank you all for the comments. You just confirmed what I was already thinking.

Stu - This looks like a great undertaking. I was an early adopter of home automation in my S&B better than 8 years ago and will definitely look into this. This sounds like it has great potential.

As you also wrote, for those of you using the Crestron app, you can connect your Internet hotspots, via a wired or wireless connection, to your Pepwave SoHo router in the coach so once you connect to the internal coach WiFi you will have both Crestron and Internet connectivity. This is how I have my coach set up. Once we are loaded up and heading out on a trip all of our devices simply connect to the coach WiFi and enjoy streaming, browsing, etc via the connected cellular hotspots. This way you don't need to constantly change which WiFi/Cell service you are connected to on each device. The Pepwave supports redundant networks so you can also connect camp wifi, home wifi, additional cellular services, etc and access them all through the local coach wifi.HTH.
BaldDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote