Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #1

Cummins Service

I just recently had an engine oil leak repaired at Cummins in Tampa and I was surprised at how low their staffing seemed to be. It was very hard to get service on the phone, mostly got voice mail. Then service took quite a while to get started on my repair. Then I just heard Cummins in Columbia was also very lightly staffed (with only a few bays being used) and the service calls appeared to be answered at a call center.

Just wondering if other’s have had similar experiences and have a recommended place for cummins engine service and repair in central Florida.

Thank
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2021, 01:29 PM   #2

That’s too bad. Last year our water pump went out at the end of a 7,000 mile trip. Luckily we were back in NC and had our coach expertly towed to Cummins in Greensboro, NC. They were open 24/7 with mechanics going around the clock. Great service there. We were ready the next day.
2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:56 PM   #3

Had my routine annual service on my Class A at the Cummings location in Tampa last winter season. No problems at all. Dry professional.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #4

Hi Van; Interesting question! The local Cummin's dealer relocated from right across the street where I worked for almost 30 years to down the valley about 20 miles. Before they moved had a large staff and worked almost 12 hour plus days. After the shop moved just a few years ago I went down to the new shop to get some parts and out side was a HUGE banner that read, BECOME A HEAVY DUTY DIESEL TECHNICIAN! Will pay for training! Talked to the shop personal inside and was told no one seems to want to do that kind of work anymore. Younger people not interested to work in that environment. So if older technician's are retiring and not many new ones to take their place I could see how this might happen. I am sure other factors like location factor in. Been working on cars, trucks and RV's since I was 15 and now 69 and still working on that stuff, not that I enjoy it as much when I was younger. Saves me big bucks when it come to coach repair and understand not everyone can do it. Just my personal observation!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:17 PM   #5

My son started diesel tech school right before Covid hit last year, he was in School for approx a month and was able to get hired on with an internship with a Freightliner dealer and was just offered a full time job, he is not even out of school, most of the younger generation don't want to do this type of work, he is working part time while going to school but as soon as he gets out of school he is already set, diesel mechanics are in short supply.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:22 PM   #6

Hopefully these are just isolated incidents.
Van

Tags
cummins, service