Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2023, 08:39 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
My '18 Anthem had exactly the same issue, belt gone and compressor frozen. Both NIRVC and Spartan quoted around $2K for the repairs. We run the genny for the roof A/C units, which we would do anyway to keep the coach cool for arrival, and put the dash air fan on recirc. It keeps us plenty cool even in 100 degree heat; and we'll never use $2K worth of diesel. The genny gets serviced once a year so no issues.
I was fortunate, the truck shop I found in Travers City was $1080 for the compressor, dryer and everything in between. The AC even continued to work, not like my current one. I'm like you, a lot of diesel can be purchased for $2,000. I'll make one more attempt to fix this one, then it's 3 strikes, you're out.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2023, 09:30 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If I had a choice on a new coach I think I would rather have a 4th roof top hvac unit over the factory installed dash air conditioner. I would want the 4th unit near the front.

Sure we have travel times when it is just hot enough for dash air but we don’t need to run the generator and roof HVAC’s. But not that many days.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:06 AM   #17

Our Compressor seized and burned the belt off the pulleys same as described by others except my DW saw smoke in the backup camera AND need I say much more other then she also had a meltdown !

I have gotten quotes from 3 different shops between $2,200 to $5,000+ depending on what they determine needs replacing once they start the job .

Not sure just yet what I'll do !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:29 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Our Compressor seized and burned the belt off the pulleys same as described by others except my DW saw smoke in the backup camera AND need I say much more other then she also had a meltdown !

I have gotten quotes from 3 different shops between $2,200 to $5,000+ depending on what they determine needs replacing once they start the job .

Brian, the difference would almost pay for the trip to Travers City. Capital RV & Just Trucks, fantastic shop.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:23 PM   #19

Quote:

Please note the price of the compressor. This is the compressor for my 2017 Anthem. Add another $ 30-40 for an air dryer. $10-11 per can of Freon at Wal Mart and you can borrow a vacuumed pump for free from any auto parts store. If capable, do some research and attack the job yourself or get the parts and shop around for someone that can install it for you. I don’t understand at all how somebody could quote you $5000 for the issue. You could buy all the parts in the system for less than that.

Best of luck.

Sincerely, Tor
2017 Anthem 44B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	737C9342-9CD3-46CC-8B5E-2DD98AA8C97A.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	393611  
737 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:07 AM   #20

Chuck , you're absolutely right however just not headed that way this year between the house build and Dr. stuff we're still trying to figure out when we can head to New England for a visit .

Tor, That is in all likelhood what I'll do as a good friend of our Son's ( a heavy truck mechanic ) in Mass. has offered to bring his equipment to our Son's and I can do the replacement unbolting and he'll do the dry down , purge cleaning & recharge .

Very seriously though a very well respected Dealership told me $2 - $3k if it was just Compressor & Receiver Dryer parts and a local ( Punta Gorda , Fl ) Repair Shop told me they just did an Anthem dash AC to the tune of $4800.

No RV anymore !
Old 05-24-2023, 07:10 AM   #21

Tor, Would you kindly send the web site for the compressor . The Pic distorts too much when I expand .

Thank You !

No RV anymore !
Old 05-24-2023, 08:28 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Brian, you have the right idea of DYI if you make it to MA. There are several truck parts houses in North Ft Myers just off of I-75 in the area of Freightliner for a compressor.
If the RV dealer is Charlotte RV, be careful, they did my 14 under warranty and made it worse. I had to take it to them as they were the Evens Temcon dealer for warranty work for this area
Old 05-24-2023, 08:37 AM   #23

I gave up on my dash AC about 18 months ago after several compressors..... and I am not going to try again.

NIRVC has been experimenting with a self contained unit designed for semis (I think) that replaces the front heat exchanger in the Onan compartment and avoid the whole system(hoses, junk) from the engine compartment to the generator compartment business (which is wonderful) and is completely self-contained. However, I know they have been testing units for about 2 years or so, and no-one is talking about the current status, so that is not a good sign. However, the current system of the compressor in the rear and the evaporator unit 45' away just has never worked worth a damn.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 08:52 AM   #24

Quote:
Tor, Would you kindly send the web site for the compressor . The Pic distorts too much when I expand .

Thank You !
The website is AC Parts.com

I have had great luck buying from them. Sorry about the distorted picture. The price for the compressor was $262.50 when I took the picture about 6 months ago. That is a brand new compressor, OEM. When you take off the old compressor, empty the oil out of it into a measuring cup. Empty the new compressor of all the shipping oil and put in the same amount of oil that you emptied out of the old compressor. Don’t quote me but I am fairly confident the type of oil is PAG 15 in our systems. Verify and you can purchase that from Amazon. Also, add in about an ounce of additional oil for the new dryer. The point is don’t over add oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68576A66-7A2F-4424-A40B-06B0A310B4E1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	393671  
Old 05-24-2023, 09:03 AM   #25

The compressor on my 2017 Anthem is a Sanden 4434. You can verify the number by looking on top of your compressor or if it is hard to read, take a picture with your cell phone.

Best of luck. I know people are tired of spending money on this prone to fail system, but I think Stu said it best on this forum: “I just want it to work”. 😀 I feel the same way.

To Spartan I would just say, Please design and install a system that holds up. We are in 2023 after all. We all have cars where the AC pretty much last the life of the car with few repairs. Far too many of us have problems with the AC system on almost brand new coaches. Reminds me of the radiator issue🤬🤬

Sincerely, Tor
2017 Anthem 44B
Old 05-24-2023, 11:14 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Tor, Spartan has continued to use the same system that fails since my 02 Travel Supreme that I am aware of. All four of my Spartan chassis for the past 21 years have all had the same problem......they fail almost as soon as it is repaired.
Old 05-24-2023, 03:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Tor, Spartan has continued to use the same system that fails since my 02 Travel Supreme that I am aware of. All four of my Spartan chassis for the past 21 years have all had the same problem......they fail almost as soon as it is repaired.
Chuck, yep I know. Pretty sad that they would ignore such an obvious well identified problem. Sad but true😤

Sincerely, Tor
2017 Anthem 44B
Old 05-24-2023, 06:05 PM   #28

I think many of the historic reports of dash AC not working well and/or failing was due to Entegra specing the AC system charge for the diesel pushers at 2.4 pounds when it should have been something like 6.6 or 7 pounds!! ALL those systems at 2.4 pounds caused a lot of complaints and compressor failures due to running low on refrigerant. 2.4 pounds is not enough to even move the oil around in the system much less cool the coach. That whole "ole wive's tale" can land squarely in Entegra's lap. Their recent service bulletin revising AC charge rates to the approx 7 pound range (see the bulletin for details) proves my point beyond a doubt.

I ran my own HVAC development program on our 2013 and found 6.6 pounds was the optimum charge for the dash system in our 42 RBQ with a rear condenser. The 45 foot coaches will need closer to 7.5 I would guess.. Mine gave me vent discharge air temps in the 48 degree range in mid 90 weather two weeks ago with full sun load. The dash systems will work fine if they are designed and installed correctly, do not leak and are charged properly with a fresh receiver/dryer.. Entegra just mislead the entire industry for years with their grossly undercharged specifications.....and caused a lot of unhappy customers who will never trust the dash AC again.

BTW...the whole AC refrigerant/pollution BS is another created panic that was quit the money maker. and it is still going on. No matter what refrigerant is developed it is more expensive and still not good enough. And the hole in the ozone keeps getting bigger and smaller just like it has naturally forever.

Tags
compressor, dash