Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2023, 06:05 PM   #1

Dash a/c compressor

I was checking under the hood today, topped off the coolant, examined the serpentine belt, and noticed the a/c compressor belt was gone!
This tied in nicely with our noticing the dash air was not very effective the last couple trips... Lol.

For grins, I grabbed a hold of the clutch and tried to turn it.
I get just over half a revolution easy, and it just stops!

The pulley/clutch spins free as it should.
I've never tried to turn an a/c compressor before. Should it just turn?
Is it seized?
Should I buy a new belt and see what happens, or did the seizing of the compressor cause the belt to depart?
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2023, 06:35 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am not a mechanic but I think it should turn with a little force.

Of course a new belt is low cost. New compressor is not.

On my 17 after the second time my dash air died I just used the generator and roof HVAC units.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 06:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It should turn. As perssure goes up it will be a little harder, but still turn. Sounds like a problem inside the compressor. Me mindfull about running it if the compressor is coming apart. Debris will contaminate your AC system! Best to pull the lines off and take a look before trying another belt.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 06:56 PM   #4

No doubt you need a new compressor but Re-Man compressors aren't all that expensive. Add in a new Receiver-Dryer, have the system evacuated, add oil and recharge the system.
Why run a generator and put the wear and tear on it when your A.C. compressor is being driven by an engine which is already running as opposed to running another engine and consuming more fuel and more periodic oil changes plus the wear and tear on the generator?
Old 05-19-2023, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
It should turn. As perssure goes up it will be a little harder, but still turn. Sounds like a problem inside the compressor. Me mindfull about running it if the compressor is coming apart. Debris will contaminate your AC system! Best to pull the lines off and take a look before trying another belt.
WHOA!
Don't even think about pulling a line off that compressor unless you know what you are doing. If there are no leaks the system could be under pressure and when the gas and fluid comes spraying out of a line it can freeze anything in it's path including your hands and eyes. This system should be discharged by a qualified technician who knows what they are doing and has the proper equipment to do it safely.
This is not child's play!
Old 05-19-2023, 07:35 PM   #6

I’m in Hal’s camp on this. Two failed repairs is enough that I will not chase this one.
Turning on the generator and running front and or middle ac’s does the job, and gives the generator its exercise.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 07:37 PM   #7

If belt is missing.. and you have never repaired a/c before.. just take it to a shop and let them make repairs.. there are many good repair books out there and you should have one in your rv library.. don't just put a belt on it.. you could cause much more damage.. I can't see make and model and yr of your rv.. but sounds like to me.. you need a new compressor and complete system service..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-19-2023, 07:45 PM   #8

Dash A/C

I know there have been discussions about extended warranties, well my dash a/c failed, the belt was fried and missing, just finely sifted rubber was all that remained, well I spent $5486.00 for an extended service contract, let me tell you that's the best money I have ever spent, quote unquote, it was for 5 years or 50K which ever comes first, now I have had little to no issues with my 2014 Anthem 44B, normal stull, but in the last 6 months the Garard failed, $2200.00 to fix that, the radiator failed, $7400.00, the navigation and radio failed $1800.00 to fix that, dash a/c compressor locked up $3900.00 to fix that, now my slides went crazy, curb side front extended itself, the drivers front slide kept retracting and bucking the whole slide that it has loosened all the bolts on the center motor, ruined the slide guides and who knows what else, Thank God for Beaver Coach Sales in Bend, Oregon, also the refrigerator compressor was replaced in 2021 in Davis by La Mesa RV, if you do the a/c by your self there are a lot of universal parts that Spartan uses when the assy, I would definitely get a new a/c compressor, flush system, replace dries and expansion valve, Good Luck
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 11:53 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
WHOA!
Don't even think about pulling a line off that compressor unless you know what you are doing. If there are no leaks the system could be under pressure and when the gas and fluid comes spraying out of a line it can freeze anything in it's path including your hands and eyes. This system should be discharged by a qualified technician who knows what they are doing and has the proper equipment to do it safely.
This is not child's play!
Good point. I have worked on AC systems for years, and forget that lots of people don't know the ins and outs about automotive AC systems.

If there's 134A in the system, just crack a line and let the pressure drain off. The complete system will have to be evacuated for a couple of hours after repairs are done and oil checked as well. We always used nitrogen to pressurize and check for leaks after repiars were done as well.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:21 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I had that unfortunate experience, the compressor was locked up and had to be changed. If your does not spin freely, it is as mine was. I was fortunate to find I truck/RV shop in Travers City MI that really knew what they were doing. First time since new the AC really worked and stayed working.

The AC on my 21 is out for the 3rd time. First two were under warranty, this one is on me.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:29 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
If the compressor blew, the system is already contaminated. Pulling a line off is not only illegal, it can be dangerous, terrible for the environment and one of the reason refrigerant is not 99˘ a can anymore. We are all paying for the EPA's involvement.
Old 05-20-2023, 05:51 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
one of the reason refrigerate is not 99˘ a can anymore
That's correct, was quoted $200 a pound installed to put what mine needed, said I needed 2 pounds for one of the home units.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 06:22 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
That's correct, was quoted $200 a pound installed to put what mine needed, said I needed 2 pounds for one of the home units.
I need a pound (one can) current price at Walmart $9.98, CRAZY!!! But your quote was really a markup. Once the EPA got involved, it's all over for the price of refrigerant.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:15 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
My '18 Anthem had exactly the same issue, belt gone and compressor frozen. Both NIRVC and Spartan quoted around $2K for the repairs. We run the genny for the roof A/C units, which we would do anyway to keep the coach cool for arrival, and put the dash air fan on recirc. It keeps us plenty cool even in 100 degree heat; and we'll never use $2K worth of diesel. The genny gets serviced once a year so no issues.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, dash