Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #1

Dash A/C problems

Been awhile since I've posted... We're on the road and it's hot outside - 90F or more. We switched on the generator and are running main A/C but the dash A/C is barely working - if at all. As a 2012 unit we've never had a dash air issue before. Any ideas? Is there something easy that I'm just forgetting? There's a bit of cooling from it, but not even close enough to help in front...

Thanks for any suggestions.
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #2

Make sure it's on max air, set the engine on fast idle, look at the compressor in the engine compartment and make sure it's turning continuously. If its not turning or cutting in and out rapidly, the freon level is low. If all the above is good, it's probably putting out all it can.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Make sure the bypass door for the heat is not letting air bypass the cooling coil.

Ken
Old 07-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Get a recharge 134A kit at Wally world.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #5

Thanks. Should a coach bought 1.5 years ago already need a freon recharge? It is working at about 40-50% - I'm guessing based on cooling ability.
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #6

You might also check the electronic valve that regulates water in heater hose to your heater box. Sometimes these go bad and stop working allowing hot water to flow to your heater box thus heats up your cooling in the same box. After a drive if the heater hoses, both are hot, then it might be the valve. One should be hot leading up to valve the other leading from valve to heater box should be much cooler. On the road fix, clamp on the hose LOL. Buddy of mine did that, fixed the problem for weekend, but don't leave it that way or you may need to replace hoses. I had a similar problem, mine turned out to be the heater hoses too and from the heater box / engine and valve had been installed backwards when I last had the hoses changed. I had an AC person tell me this is the first thing they check. Common complaint, cools ok for a while then get worse and as you drive. Hot water making its way to heater box will offset the cold. Are your pipes around the heater box cold or show ice? If so, might be your valve. If not, then as other have said. When my valve goes out, and I know it will (12 years old) I'm going to replace with hand valve. Turn on in winter and off in summer.
ValleyCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #7

Just returned from Cummins with an dash A/C problem. What was found was that the high pressure switch had failed and the freon pressure was low. System worked well after servicing the freon and replacing the switch for 30 miles. Then then air once again became warm. After talking with Cummins Service, they believe we have a leak in the A/C unit somewhere. As a precaution, Cummins put dye in with the freon to make it easier to find any leak. On another hand, the manufacturer has an office here in West Michigan, and they are less than friendly to work with. They do not answer their phones and are upset when you walk in to try to purchase a part. Very unfriendly service. On the other side, Bridgeway Cummins in Grand Rapids was one of the easiest people I have worked with. Hopefully, we will find the leak tomorrow. Also great support from Entegra Service, Jacob, on resolving the problem. Two out of three isn't bad!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #8

RAF1,

"On another hand, the manufacturer has an office here in West Michigan, and they are less than friendly to work with. They do not answer their phones and are upset when you walk in to try to purchase a part. Very unfriendly service."

You said the manufacturer...did you mean Cummins, the dealer, or the manufacturer (Entegra)? You went on to state Entegra was great. Was looking for clarity.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #9

Nope! Cummins did a great job and has been great in their support. The manufacturer mentioned is the maker of the air conditioning unit. I'm sorry I don't remember their name and probably wouldn't use their name in a negative manner with only one visit. Hopefully they will be better should I have to use them again..
Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF1 View Post
Nope! Cummins did a great job and has been great in their support. The manufacturer mentioned is the maker of the air conditioning unit. I'm sorry I don't remember their name and probably wouldn't use their name in a negative manner with only one visit. Hopefully they will be better should I have to use them again..
Gotcha...manf of the A/C unit. Get it now. Misunderstanding on my part. Thx for clarifying.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Chassis AC leak

Sounds like a leak to me. Good thing Spartan put in dye, it will make it much easier to trace. I was told by Freightliner on my previous RV that 2% loss per year is normal (that shouldn't affect you in 2 years!)

Be wary of a "replace by pieces until found" troubleshooting method. I had a new Chevy PU I ordered from the factory. Each spring the AC wouldn't work because the Freon was too low. Each time I took it in for repair it was..."we found this bad o-ring" or "bad hose clamp". Eventually the 3 year warranty expired. Next spring same thing, same story. I convinced Chevy for an out of warranty repair. Finally after the warranty was out I said just replace the d$&@n compressor and I'll pay. After that it worked for years. Don't let them run out the clock on you! After the warranty each time you pay for new evacuation and a lot of freon if the leaky part is not found quickly.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Could you give more info, is it blowing out of front vents? Is the air volume strong ? Is your compressor cycling on and off ? When you set it on defrost cool on max is it colder?

Good luck ,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy02 View Post
Been awhile since I've posted... We're on the road and it's hot outside - 90F or more. We switched on the generator and are running main A/C but the dash A/C is barely working - if at all. As a 2012 unit we've never had a dash air issue before. Any ideas? Is there something easy that I'm just forgetting? There's a bit of cooling from it, but not even close enough to help in front...

Thanks for any suggestions.
I have 3000 miles on my new Cornerstone and have the exact problem you describe.I had it in at Lazy Days here in Tucson and thet said it was "working as designed".Obviusly they did not drive it and duplicate that it starts out cold at start up and within 30 minutes ,the air is luke warm.
I am going to trouble shoot it based on Valley Center post above-make sense.
GES627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
The unit is manufactured by Evans Tempcon. Make sure the heater control valve is working and not leaking. Just a little leakage will kill it's ability to cool.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote