Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Dash Camera Options

Are the any owners who are currently using a Dash Camera (the type that records the driver's POV)?

If so what type and what do you like about it?

Curt

Sent from my iPhone
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I bought a Chinese cam with GPS when traveling in China. Unfortunately the readout always stays in KM/H. It works good and I wired it to my ignition so it's a no brainer device.

I think the new dash cams from Garmin are nice. There is a lot of debate about whether a GPS input is good or bad legality wise. I don't mind because I'm rarely over the speed limit and prefer the GPS time and coordinates displayed.
Attached Images

hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have had some experience with dash cams but on motorcycles rather than a motorhome. In 2008 I built a 3D camera system to record a trip to Alaska using special rugged and weatherproof bullet cameras. Fortunately the enclosed conditions of a motorhome and the newer technology make this a far easier and less costly task now.

I am now considering cobbling together a dash cam system for our recently acquired Mountain Aire. There are a number of off the shelf solutions available but IMHO most fail to offer some of the advantages using what you likely have already.

I am planning to craft a shelf that mounts on the dash of my motorhome and provides a flat space for storing small stuff such as our logbook, sunglasses, etc. I’ll also include a powered smartphone holder (dock) for my iPad. You could also mount an iPhone or Android smartphone if preferred. There are a number of dash cam apps for these devices, many with options for recording additional data such as speed, location and more. Since my iPad and laptop are already talking to each other wirelessly, transferring the recorded footage to my laptop will be easy.

By including a powered docking cable that the iPad plugs into, it keeps the pad fully charged and makes it a handy reference source through all the RV related apps already installed.

As to the comment, “There is a lot of debate about whether a GPS input is good or bad legality wise.”, I don’t know how impactful that is now with all the other data recording stuff factory built into modern vehicles. When I built my motorcycle 3D dash cam this was a concern for me until I found the camera systems from V.I.O. Solutions <www.vio-pov.com>.

These systems offer a unique feature called tagging. You set a record length, say 3 minutes. The camera then records 3-minute clips but saves them only temporarily. If something occurs that you want to save, you press the “Tag” button and it saves the 3-minute clip permanently to its SD card. This not only dramatically reduces the data space required for recorded video but also allows you to save only the time clips that are important. You can press the “Tag” button after the event and it sophisticated system allows you to save the event previously recorded, after it had occurred. The downside of these systems is that they are costly.

This gives you both a virtually no-cost and premium option that hopefully will be of benefit to you.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #4

I use the Mobius Action Camera in all of my vehicles inclunding my bicycles. I've been looking at the Garmin and may pick one up one of these day.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisgeiger View Post
Are the any owners who are currently using a Dash Camera (the type that records the driver's POV)?

If so what type and what do you like about it?

Curt

Sent from my iPhone
Kim Komando dash cam-less than $100.00 but you need a PC to read the card. Mac won't read it so I will have to borrow a PC if I ever need to recover evidence.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Kim Komando dash cam-less than $100.00 but you need a PC to read the card. Mac won't read it so I will have to borrow a PC if I ever need to recover evidence.

The Mobius ($90 on Amazon) uses micro SD cards, Im able to remove the card from the carmera and play the footage on my cell phone (Galaxy S4)
Old 07-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post

That's funny and she is a Mac freak. But she does give out great info.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
That's funny and she is a Mac freak. But she does give out great info.
Just looked at the Garmin cameras on Amazon. Thinking seriously of upgrading.

Tags
camera, dash