Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Cool Dash cams question.

It is illegal to mount your GPS or anything else to your windshield in 28 out of 50 states. Another 7 states have restrictions as to where things can be attached. So why do dash cams manufactures sell cams designed for windshield mounting? Does anyone make/sell a true dashboard cam?
Windshield mounts illegal in 28 states? - GPS Tracklog
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Same camera, different mounting. They sell and oft times include an adhesive backed disc that you stick to your dashboard, then you stick the suction cup mount to that. Problem essentially solved.
JimN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #3

I am looking at a 4 channel DVD adding a front camera and recording front sides and rear. I have also wondered if the mobile eye could be recorded
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

When the first RV driver actually gets ticketed for having a dash-cam actually mounted out of the way of their field of vision on their coach (or an EZPASS in about half the states) or a Mobile Eye like I have mounted by Entegra on the windshield of my coach, PLEASE, PLEASE immediately notify all of us so we can quickly remove all of our window mounted devices (including my cell phone mounted on the toll window, and my tire pressure monitor which is also mounted on my toll window, .....

Me thinks that the states that have laws dealing with window mounted devices are basically trying to give their law enforcement officers "license" to arrest those who routinely use RADAR detectors and LASER detectors used to "speed" over the posted speed limit and avoid tickets...... I will be very surprised to see reports of people actually being ticketed for a Dash Cam..... mine is running all the time the engine is running and is mounted right in the bottom center of the windshield along with the mobile eye and the EZPASS and I'm not about to move it anywhere else. Until I start seeing massive reports of people being busted for a dash-cam, mine is staying where it is.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:16 AM   #5

Mine is not on the windshield, and in fact is not blocking any of my view. Pics here. The shot from the back showing it is from lower than the driver's view - when I am driving it does not block the road at all.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:33 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
The windshield goes WAY below the dash on an Entegra. I doubt any windshield law is going to apply to mounting a dash cam on glass below the dash board. I would like to see the Barney Fife that would write that ticket and give up his day off in court trying to get a conviction.

If someone is worried, Dee Gee made a real dash mount, photo attached...makes him legal in all 50 states. I wonder how windshield wipers fit in the no windshield law
Also I live in FL where it is not only allowed, but encouraged, so there might be reciprocity there just like drivers licenses with other states.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:34 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
The problem may not just be limited to getting a ticket. If you're involved in an accident in one of these states, any evidence gathered from the dash cam may be excluded because it was gathered in violation of a law. In Ohio, many of the dash cams on police cruisers are mounted to the dash.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
The problem may not just be limited to getting a ticket. If you're involved in an accident in one of these states, any evidence gathered from the dash cam may be excluded because it was gathered in violation of a law. In Ohio, many of the dash cams on police cruisers are mounted to the dash.
Call your insurance company, make a dash mount as Dee Gee did or move to a state the is dash cam mount friendly. Seems like an easy solution as millions of them are sold every year.

If the evidence is not allow becasue of where the dash cam is mounted, then it would be the same if you didn't have a dash cam to begin with. If that is the case, it is going to be an insurance company battle anyway. JMO
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #9

Our is mounted pretty high on the ws. The only time it would interfere with the field of vision would be if I was looking for airplanes. I think this is pretty much a non-issue. Just use common sense and you will be fine. The wires are tucked out of the way and very little even shows.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #10

If a trooper gets to look that closely at your coach, you have other far more significant issues happening. My interpretation of the windshield statutes has always been a general comment, amplified by the qualifier that said object restricts or impairs a driver's view. See P.S.

In an effort to keep this in perspective, consider how many coach owners routinely operate their vehicle without the appropriate license. In Texas for example, I believe the minimum would be a Non-Commercial Class B. As the 26K rule is a DOT regulation, it applies in each state. How the states comply is up to them.

How many 38+ foot long fifth wheels are pulled by SRW pickups? Certainly over the maximum payload due to pin weight in every instance. If you see a triple axle hauler pulled by a SRW F-250, for sure he's way over the maximum payload.

Worrying over where my camera is located seems a bit like trying to pick the fly poop out of the pepper.

-Matt

P.S. Here is an excerpt of the Texas statute:

"Sec. 547.613. RESTRICTIONS ON WINDOWS. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor:
(1) if the person operates a motor vehicle that has an object or material that is placed on or attached to the windshield or side or rear window and that obstructs or reduces the operator's clear view; or"
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #11

Amen ................ x15

Gary
Old 03-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #12

............... and every F250 that I pass that is pulling a 38' triple axle 5th wheel that is in turn pulling a trailer containing the owners dune buggy or his bass sport fishing boat is WAY over length limits in all states, and every 45' motorhome that is pulling a massive triple axle stacker trailer or their "rail" to the speedway is clearly over most length limits in most states.

My dash cam is one of the least damaging concerns that I shoulder.

Gary
Old 03-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #13

I've randomly sampled about 10 of the NO states in that map, and the actual statute linked indicates the qualifier of visual impairment or obstruction.

In short, their map is overly restrictive.

I suspect they are trying to sell something by distorting the law.

-Matt
Old 03-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #14

OMG Gary, your word picture was so well crafted I started laughing, thanks for that! It's been a heck of a week.

Take care,

-Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post

............... and every F250 that I pass that is pulling a 38' triple axle 5th wheel that is in turn pulling a trailer containing the owners dune buggy or his bass sport fishing boat is WAY over length limits in all states, and every 45' motorhome that is pulling a massive triple axle stacker trailer or their "rail" to the speedway is clearly over most length limits in most states.

My dash cam is one of the least damaging concerns that I shoulder.

Gary

Tags
dash