Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #1

DEF Derate tool, anyone using this?

https://truckfaults.com/resettool#reset_values Anyone have an opinion on this EXPENSIVE tool?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 03:54 PM   #2

We have the Nexas NL102 Plus which we paid around 170$ for which looks like it can do all that the OTR devise can do. With the current DEF derate and stop engine codes on am not aware of any tool to clear codes and then let you to continue to drive without fixing (replacing) DEF head for 2016 and newer HD diesel engines.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Don’t waste your money. Call them and press them to put in writing that their tool will clear codes related to an actual failure (like a dead DEF sensor) and the codes will stay gone if you don’t fix the underlying failure, ie replace the sensor. Not all tools, like the NL102 Plus that Tom and I have, will clear all codes especially not emissions codes. But not even the Cummins Dealer INSITE system will permanently clear a fault code for a system that has really failed. Remember that the “DEF Head Problem” that everybody is talking about is NOT a spurious code that pops up intermittently. It’s a group of fault indications caused by a real, unrepairable, short of replacement, failure of a critical emissions sensor. The emissions system itself continues to work but the ECM thinks the DEF tank is empty and begins to increase the pain to induce you to fill it-but it’s already full, so there’s nothing you can do except find a place to park real soon…for a couple of months potentially while you wait for a part.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:50 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
X2 what Archer said. I researched a lot of code readers and did not find any of them that would clear failed DEF head code without replacing the DEF head. Here is a copy and paste from the linked code reader.
Certain active fault codes can be cleared, however, if the problem has not been fixed the fault code will reappear prompting you to seek service.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
X2 what Archer said. I researched a lot of code readers and did not find any of them that would clear failed DEF head code without replacing the DEF head. Here is a copy and paste from the linked code reader.
Certain active fault codes can be cleared, however, if the problem has not been fixed the fault code will reappear prompting you to seek service.
I guess the question is whether clearing the fault, even if temporarily, would eliminate the derate, and restart the clock so to speak, with it seeing the fault as if it had just occurred, thereby giving you more time/distance to get to a shop or home and avoid a tow.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:13 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I guess the question is whether clearing the fault, even if temporarily, would eliminate the derate, and restart the clock so to speak, with it seeing the fault as if it had just occurred, thereby giving you more time/distance to get to a shop or home and avoid a tow.
The Techs at Cummins said it will not. They said they could make a fortune if they could get their computer to clear codes and de-rates to get truckers home. It will not restart the de-rate clock, thanks to the EPA knowing people would try that.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have the Nexas NL102 Plus scan tool, from using it and the Cummins Insite program , they both see faults in the ECM when powered up and won't let you clear the fault code/s till repaired. Says that on the screen after you press the clear fault button.
Friend had a low coolant light on, hooked up to the port, tried to clear it, said to repair and try again. Replaced the sensor, fault code cleared, and low coolant isn't a derate fault.
Same low coolant fault on my Essex last fall, same results , cleared when repaired.
Hard to bypass these ECM'S and TCM'S........ they are built smart per say.......
Old 08-04-2021, 04:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
Donít waste your money. Call them and press them to put in writing that their tool will clear codes related to an actual failure (like a dead DEF sensor) and the codes will stay gone if you donít fix the underlying failure, ie replace the sensor. Not all tools, like the NL102 Plus that Tom and I have, will clear all codes especially not emissions codes. But not even the Cummins Dealer INSITE system will permanently clear a fault code for a system that has really failed. Remember that the ďDEF Head ProblemĒ that everybody is talking about is NOT a spurious code that pops up intermittently. Itís a group of fault indications caused by a real, unrepairable, short of replacement, failure of a critical emissions sensor. The emissions system itself continues to work but the ECM thinks the DEF tank is empty and begins to increase the pain to induce you to fill it-but itís already full, so thereís nothing you can do except find a place to park real soonÖfor a couple of months potentially while you wait for a part.

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:02 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I have the Nexas NL102 Plus scan tool, from using it and the Cummins Insite program , they both see faults in the ECM when powered up and won't let you clear the fault code/s till repaired. Says that on the screen after you press the clear fault button.
Friend had a low coolant light on, hooked up to the port, tried to clear it, said to repair and try again. Replaced the sensor, fault code cleared, and low coolant isn't a derate fault.
Same low coolant fault on my Essex last fall, same results , cleared when repaired.
Hard to bypass these ECM'S and TCM'S........ they are built smart per say.......

Here is the message that will appear on the Nexus 102P and most codes readers. This was on my failed DEF head with the de-rate codes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-11-23 12.32.04.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	338371  
Old 08-04-2021, 05:07 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Here is the message that will appear on the Nexus 102P and most codes readers. This was on my failed DEF head with the de-rate codes.
Pictures are worth a thousand words for sure Chuck
Old 08-04-2021, 06:18 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
DEF Derate tool, anyone using this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjacob View Post
https://truckfaults.com/resettool#reset_values Anyone have an opinion on this EXPENSIVE tool?

I love the OTR for Cummins reset tool. It works perfect and I have had it for 2 years. Very easy to use and I use it to do Manuel force regenerations.NOTE: as everyone is saying it will NOT clear an active emissions code.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
As far as I know the only thing that will clear the DEF Head failure fault codes & engine deration is to install a good replacement DEF Head and let the Cummins double-secret probation self testing routine run long in the background enough to be satisfied that the fault no longer exists. Nobody seems to know for certain whether it takes X number of key cycles or a certain length of time at idle or even a specific driving profile (ie x minutes at idle, x minutes at Highway speed, so many miles total, etc.)-like I said, it’s a secret!
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:49 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Once repaired the ECM will not see a problem and you will be able to travel.

The logged codes will still be there, but will not be a problem.

It will take a while for the ECM to come around, but it will.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
No, the problem must be resolved or the code will return
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote