RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
DEF drain

Greetings Entegra family,

how do I drain the DEF tank?
sdesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Drain the DEF tank for what purpose? Is the fluid contaminated or bad? Are you concerned about winterizing the coach.? I do not believe the tank has a drain. I suppose one could take one of the hoses off and siphon the fluid out. That's all I can suggest Maybe someone else has more information
Mikenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:46 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
No need to drain the DEF if you are concerned about winter storage. We live in NW Ohio where typically it gets below zero for weeks (except this year so far) and I have not had any issues with the DEF in my coach or diesel pickup that sits in the same garage.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:58 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Just a FYI: DEF fluid will freeze at 12f. It is comprised of 66% water and balance urea. The pump and system has small engine coolant lines circulating in the tank to warm the fluid prior to be injected into the filter exhaust system when the engine is on.
Mikenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
DEF drain

Greetings Entegra Family,

From what Spartan told me, DEF has a shelf life of 1 year, sometimes I use the DEF pump at Flying J and sometimes I buy the gallon at Flying J, just depends.

I know that DEF is consumed while driving, I personally did no know the shelf life of DEF, so now in the future I will look at the date on the DEF that I purchase at Flying J or at Loves, I try to keep the DEF full at all times.

I live in why coach due to my work location and try to take the coach out at least once a month.

I was fortunate to get the manual for the coach from spartan in PDF formate, as the disc that I have I am unable at this time to review. That is when I was told about the shelf life of DEF, not sure about the DEF purchased at the pump.

That us is why I asked about draining the DEF tank.
sdesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have read there is a drain at the bottom rear of tank. Hard to reach. DEF ages faster at higher temps.
Walmart is much less expensive than Flying J
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:08 AM   #7

There is a plug under the tank. Not a bad idea to change the filter while doing, not much cost involved.
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:19 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It would probably be easier to purchase a small 12 volt transfer pump from someplace like Harbor Freight and pump it out.
Grower15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #9

I doubt very much that it's necessary, but a mighty vac might be the easiest. My uncle used one to change his oil. Sucks it out instead of drains....
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I found this Cummins document to be informative about DEF: https://www.cummins.com/news/2016/01...-exhaust-fluid

Below are a couple of points from the Cummins document:
__________________________________________________ _______

Q: Whats the shelf life of DEF?
A: DEF shelf life depends on the temperature of your storage facility. It is recommended that DEF be stored between 12F and 86F, but when stored below 65F, shelf life is extended to 2 years. It is recommended to store DEF in a climate-controlled environment and out of direct sunlight to extend shelf life.

Q: What happens if DEF freezes?
A: While DEF does freeze at 12 degrees F, frozen DEF does not impact the start-up or operation of the vehicle. Upon engine start-up, the SCR system provides heat to the DEF tank and lines which allows theDEF to thaw rapidly and keeps it flowing to the aftertreatment system regardless of the outside temperature.

Diesel Exhaust Fluid is formulated with 32.5 percent urea and 67.5 percent deionized water. In storage or when the engine is not in use, DEF will freeze at 12F (-11C). At this concentration level, the urea and the water freeze and thaw at the same rate ensuring that you always have the correct amount of each. Engines with SCR are specifically programmed for optimal performance at this ratio, which is why it is important to make sure you get a quality brand of DEF that meets ISO specifications.

There is one operational difference to note: Like any water-based fluid, DEF expands when it is frozen (by approximately 7 percent). In cold weather, when the operator shuts the vehicle down, waiting 60 seconds before turning off the battery will allow the fluid to drain back out of the hoses and into the DEF tank.

No anti-gelling additive or freeze point improver should ever be added to the DEF, as they will impede its ability to perform correctly and may damage SCR system components.
__________________________________________________ __________

At a Spartan Academy class in June of 2018, it was suggested that if you're concerned about DEF aging while your coach is in storage, it might be good to plan your DEF usage so that your tank is as close to empty as practicable when you put your coach into storage. Then, immediately before you start the engine as you get ready to take the coach out of storage, top off the DEF tank with fresh DEF.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I have drain the DEF tank due to a bad batch from Walmart. ( water). The drain plug is at the back of the tank, very easy to reach. Took me 10 minutes to drain and refill.
mbaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:56 AM   #12

This may be slightly off topic but where do you dispose of the drained DEF once it's out? Water and urea makes me think down the toilet but I'm curious about what others might have done.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #13

DEF Drain

Not to digress, but before I retired as a maritime pilot, we use to bring in barges from Alaska with 19,000 tons of Urea (which is a fertilizer) in pellet form to be used as fertilizer for the agriculture industry.
One of the deckhands took a 5 gallon bucket of it home to fertilize his lawn. He spread it on the lawn full strength and in about 4 days he was cutting the grass almost every other day.
It was later learned that he should have diluted it to 20 to 1 ratio.

I would think that based on that experience, you could just spread the DEF on your lawn or plants as fertilizer.

However I would caution to just use a small portion as a test case first. Otherwise you might end up with Jacks Beanstalk.

Good Luck
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote