Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2016, 06:34 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
I'm with Ralph. Its just no big deal.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm an old retired truck driver and am not all that uncomfortable mixing it up with a trucker or two. When I need DEF I pull in with my tank on the side where the hose is and fill up. The flying J nearest my home actually has traffic cones at the end of each lane that they use when they service the pumps. I set it out so the trucks automatically line up elsewhere and turn around to fill if needed. On my Winnebago the DEF tank is 13 gallon and I still have some in the tank after the 1700 mile trip south for the winter. It's not like I'm blocking every truck stop in the nation to get it done.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #17

When we were at Las Vegas Fest Ted Cook was asked again about switching the Def reservoir and he said the switching wasn't the hard part it was applying for a new emissions certificate or at least an exemption from EPA that was going to take time. They must have gotten around to getting the 2017 certified with the new location. That's why I think if you tried that on your own it would be regarded as tampering.

When I was in charge of the medical department at a pharma company I was shocked to learn that if we even changed the color of the rubber seal on a pill bottle we had to submit minimum 6 months data that change didn't affect the pills. It's only gotten worse with the shakedown scam that is the fed.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
TRADE 😳😳 for a 2017 !
Great timing on my part. I bought my 2016 CS in September. Oh well. It is a beautiful coach and i guess I can deal with this inconvenience.
Plumnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #19

Yup, unless i was doing a ton of driving, I'm not sure this would affect me. It doesn't bother me. 7K mile trip in 30 days last summer in my 5ver (hook/unhook) was done so a few jugs once in while is no biggie.
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Gives me something to do while DW is putting away the groceries from a Walmart stop. I top off the DEF tank with a jug of DEF purchased while shopping. At the $8. price range for 2.5 gallons, it's nothing to worry about anymore.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #21

I carry two 2.5 gallon DEF tanks with me stored in the compartment right in front of the drive axle on the passenger side (in my 2015 44B) which I buy either from Wal-Mark (either Wal-mart brand for about &8.00 or Peak brand DEF for about $12.00 at SAMS) and I fill my DEF tanks in the privacy () of my own site, where-ever I happen to be, when it needs to be filled. I have never bought DEF at a truck stop and like some others on here, I try my damndest to never have to buy DEF or diesel at a truck stop. My experience is that they want 15 to 25 or 30 cents a gallon more at a truck stop than you can find elsewhere (although the truck companies all have contracts with the truckstops to buy their diesel for significantly less than the meter price... guess who gets to pay the higher price?). I heavily use GasBuddy iPhone app. It has saved me hundreds of dollars every year. It quickly gives me the current prices for diesel within 50 miles of my current location, and then I bring up Google maps street view and confirm that I can get into and out of where-ever I am considering and the location of the diesel pumps (and call the station if there is any question) and if I can, I drive the location with my toad before I give it a try.

For example, I am currently in Las Vegas. Diesel is 2.25 at most truck stops. I am next going to Tucson where diesel is routinely selling for $1.70 at big stations that can handle my rig and toad. I have enough diesel to get to Tucson, so I will not buy diesel here in Vegas and will buy it in Tucson at a savings of 55 cents per gallon for maybe 100 gallons. Further, I always charge diesel on my PenFed card which give me a 5% further discount if paid at the pump. So I will actually pay $1.63 per gallon in Tucson. That adds up.

So, buying the DEF at some place like WalMart saves me from the whole hassle of truck stops.

The first or second time that I headed into a truck stop to fuel with my previous Dynasty, every pump line had maybe 4 trucks in a line. It was really busy. I randomly decided on one line, and then waited while every truck in front of me filled both tanks, sauntered inside the building to pay their tab at the truckers desk (and God only know what else...... send a FAX, get a cash advance, talk with their dispatcher) and then stroll back to their rig, to leave. The rig two in front of me, did this process, then pulled ahead enough for the rig in front of me to start to fuel and walked into the station, and I have no idea what he did.... took a shower, needed to see a man about a horse, I don't know. but I do know that the truck in front of me, fueled, did his windows, and then stood there 15 to 20 minutes tapping his toes waiting for the driver in front of him to come back out, which he eventually did with what was left of the lunch that he bought at the truckstop and ate some of, before getting in his truck and driving off. I could not believe it. That fuel stop took me at least 90 unproductive minutes before I left the pump. I said, "NEVER AGAIN" will I be held hostage that long in a fuel line. I had the toad behind me so could not back up to escape or change fuel lanes.... I just had to wait it out.

So, do yourself a favor and buy your DEF elsewhere and add it whenever you need to add it, and forget about getting it at a truck stop. JMHO

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #22

Great post!
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
OK...this post is almost as bad as the people who need info on how to do dishes in their coach.....
Old 03-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnypac View Post
OK...this post is almost as bad as the people who need info on how to do dishes in their coach.....
I did, our dishwasher didn't work the first time we tried to use it. Thankfully we were at Entegra, but the question was still asked.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:07 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=brobox;2970758]I did, our dishwasher didn't work the first time we tried to use it. Thankfully we were at Entegra, but the question was still asked.[/

Actually it was not a post about the mechanical dishwasher....it was a post asking how to wash dishes in a RV....questions about the auto dishwasher appliance are reasonable......
Old 03-10-2016, 06:01 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Actually it is amazing how sometimes a dumb question can have some answers we can learn from. DEF has been brought up at least 100 times, but last year one of the answers was about the new Walmart brand of DEF for $8.00 a jug. I can't believe how many went to Walmart and purchased their first jug of Walmart DEF from that post. Me included.

There are lots of newbies and I don't mind helping them, even with simple things. I know there were sure a lot that helped me in the past. This is my first DEF MH and from post like these I have learned not to try to fill my DEF tank at tuck stops....not worth it for me to save a buck. I try not to even fuel at truck stops
Old 03-10-2016, 06:13 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
When I was at the Spartan Training class last fall we asked about the crazy DEF tank on the right side. Big Mike at Spartan said in 2010 when the EPA mandated emission limits the regulation said there was a maximum distance from the DEF tank to the recirculating exhaust. On big rig trucks they can accommodate the distance requirements across the rear of the cab and frame. On side radiator RVs the only way to do that is put it on the right side. It had something to do with heating the DEF in cold climates and return lines.

Last fall as we Entegra types were leaving Spartan they placed a 2016 Newmar steerable tag chassis from a King Air in the room. All of us noticed it had a DEF filler on the left side, albeit just forward of the rear axles and not next to the fuel filler. One of the Entegra reps said the fiberglass fairings and structure over the water bay would need a redesign to accommodate the DEF filler, and now it appears the whole thing would need to be recertified
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #28

Here is something I noticed a long time ago.....

What is an obvious question and an obvious answer to one person is not at all an obvious question or answer to someone else. If our job is to try to help others (which I think is the whole reason we have these forums), then all questions are fair game. I wrote a very extensive answer to the initial question because I know from experience that most owners dont know about the GasBuddy app #1, and many people fight the DEF at truck stop issue, even going in backwards to make the fill #2, and looking for cheaper diesel than what is available at truck stops can save a bundle of money over the years #3, so it is a teaching moment, and maybe a learning moment.

If it isn't for you..... fine.

And the thread on how to wash dishes in a coach actually had some interesting ideas in it.... not everyone does it the same and one can learn a whole different process beyond run hot water, add dish soap, dry....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote