Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #1

DEF Filter

2018 Aspire 44W. Its mu understanding the DEF filter needs replacing
at 2 or 3 years or 200,000 miles, depending on who you believe. Im coming up on 3 years of ownership.

Has anyone ver changed theirs and want to share a little insight? it doesnt look that difficult. Local Spartan dealer wanted one hour of service at $175 an hour. looks like about a 15 minute job. Thats not happening.

Or could someone direct me to a YouTube video somewhere. My CC will be very happy with any direction.

Thanks Ken

2018 Entegra Aspire 44W .
Ken Sair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Search def filter. I started a thread on this subject a few weeks ago. There were a couple of posts with directions or links. I've got one in my basement but am waiting to get back home to change it in case I screw up and ruin our trip ;-)
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Here is one of the posts, there are several. The cover for the DEF filter is on the bottom of the tank, left corner. It is a hand tighten screw off black plastic cover. Your right, it's a 15 minute job including get the tools and a rag together. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/def...ge-314501.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:19 PM   #4

DEF

Thanks. Does the filter just pull straight out with the tool? and guess I'll have to get the socket. Ill try the search feature, if I can find it.

Thanks, Ken

2018 Entegra Aspire 44W .
Ken Sair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #5

Ken, it's a simple a DIY and yes $175 is CRAZY ! I don't remember the socket size and I don't recall using the tool to pull it out just my fingers. A couple of drips of DEF R & R and done . I realize it's a 200,000 mile filter but I'm a believer that TIME ages filters ( i.e.: air filter yearly ) and the DEF filter should be changed by years not mileage in our motorhomes.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #6

I changed ours today - took ~10 minutes. The socket size is either 1 1/16" or 27mm.

The tool wouldn't work with our filter - it was in tight, and I gently removed with pliers.

I did use a very small amount of o-ring lube to (hopefully) help facilitate removal next time.

As others have stated, very easy process.

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:10 PM   #7

I changed mine for the first time the other day. The hardest part was getting that little filter out using the provided tool, which I threw aside and stuck my finger inside and yanked. Popped out and reinstalled the new one. Lost a couple drips of DEF. Super easy and a dealership should be ashamed of charging an hour shop rate. Next time will take about 10 minutes tops.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:22 AM   #8

Thinking on this subject today and I was curious as to why it is it is not on any of the annual/mileage maintenance requirements that I have done in Gaffney/Tom Nehl. Every other filter has an inspect or replace requirement. Has anyone actually experienced a failure of this component and if so what actually occurred?

I replace all air filters annually regardless of requirement.....so just a bit curious about his one.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
Thinking on this subject today and I was curious as to why it is it is not on any of the annual/mileage maintenance requirements that I have done in Gaffney/Tom Nehl. Every other filter has an inspect or replace requirement. Has anyone actually experienced a failure of this component and if so what actually occurred?

I replace all air filters annually regardless of requirement.....so just a bit curious about his one.

I change my filter at least every 18-24 months. I had a DEF Pump fail on the way across texas last fall. I don't remember the codes but it would have shut down the coach at some point to a derated speed if I didn't get it replaced. 30 minutes and $1800 later and I was back on the road. Cummins in Amarillo had 4 on the shelf so its a fairly common thing I would guess. I haven't heard much about it here on the forum though.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:31 AM   #10

It was not until MC posted about his problem and the filter. When I had coach in for service I asked about the DEF filter. The tech spent more time getting down and back up then he did changing the filter out.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:04 PM   #11
Community Moderator

At freightliner factory service in Gaffney, a couple of months ago, my tech said he has never heard of the def filter ever being changed. They only recommend it being changed at 300,000 miles. I wanted him to do it anyway, but they didn’t even stock the part.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:38 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Yep, the standard is 300,000 miles or 5 years. I would still do it every 2 years.

Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:16 PM   #13

For what it may be worth, here is a link to a thread I initiated on this subject exactly one year ago today (7/5/2021):

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/def...ne-544222.html

Keep in mind that write-up is for a 2018 Cornerstone. Other model year and/or other product line coaches may be different.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:05 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Removed by poster.
flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote