Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2021, 07:18 PM   #1

DEF Filter Replacement - 2018 Cornerstone

I recently completed a replacement of the DEF filter on our 2018 Cornerstone (X15 Cummins engine). This is a relatively simple job, but one where it’s possible to make some significant mistakes if you’re not properly informed. This post will describe the process.

The first step was to determine the location of the DEF filter. On my coach, that turned out to be pretty much adjacent to the aft inboard corner of the bottom of the DEF tank, with the bottom of the filter housing a few inches above the bottom of the tank. Raising the tail end of the coach with the leveling jacks provided a bit more room to slide under there and have a look.

The filter housing is in a rather confined space, so there isn’t room to use a normal filter removal tool. Fortunately the filter housing has a hex head on the bottom of it, but unfortunately the head is larger than any socket most of us are likely to have in our tool boxes. If you want to check, look for a 1 & 13/16” or 46 MM socket. I didn’t have one, or anything even close.

I tried loosening the filter housing by hand and got nowhere. I finally improvised a solution to loosen the housing using a large Crescent wrench, putting the jaws of the wrench on the hex head vertically, and using another Crescent wrench on the handle of the first wrench for rotational leverage. That worked, but if you’re going to do this job yourself you’ll be far happier if you acquire a 1 & 13/16” or 46 MM socket before you start. More on that below.

With the filter housing broken loose, I did the final loosening by hand and dropped it down. To my surprise, there was no DEF inside the housing. That turned out to be by design.

With the housing removed, I expected to see the small DEF filter. No, all I could see was a black neoprene (I think) rubber cup, which turned out to be covering the filter. Pulling downward on the cup, it came loose along with an ounce or two of DEF.

With the cup removed, I could see the DEF filter. I tried pulling down on it, but it didn’t want to budge and I couldn’t tell what was holding it in place. Fortunately I found a relevant video that indicated it was necessary to apply a significant amount of downward pull. That worked and at last I had the old DEF filter in my hand.

Before going any further, let’s have a look at the parts described above. The first image below, to which I've added some annotations, shows the parts that came in the DEF filter replacement kit I purchased. Except for the “BIOLUBE" oil, the parts you see in that image are the same parts I removed – a filter housing with a sealing O-ring on top, the “rubber cup” referenced above which is called a “Frost Compensation Membrane,” and the DEF filter itself which has a sealing O-ring near its top.

Looking at the filter I had just removed, I determined it was manufactured by Mann Filters, a German company I’d never heard of:

hwww.mann-filter.com/en.html

The filter I removed was Mann part number U58/7. To obtain the replacement filter and associated parts, you can purchase a Fleetguard kit which is part number UF106 or Cummins kit which is part number 4388378. The best price I could find on either one of those kits was significantly north of $100.

Doing a search for a Mann U58/7 filter, I learned that part number has been superseded by Mann part number U58/9. I found a listing on Amazon which showed a Mann U58/9 kit for about $97. The seller was listed as Southwest Diesel & Electric, also known as Diesel Forward, Inc., located right here in the Phoenix metro area. I called them, verified they had the kit in stock, then drove over to their facility to make the purchase. They were kind enough to give me a bit of a break on the price for showing up in person rather than ordering online. The second image below shows the top of box containing the Mann Filter U58/9 kit I purchased.

Before installing the new filter and associated parts, I set about to acquire a 1 & 13/16” or 46 MM socket. I tried several local stores and came up empty handed. Went to Amazon and found a fairly large selection of 1 & 13/16” and 46 MM sockets. None of them were cheap and virtually all of them were 3/4” drive, meaning I’d have to buy a 3/4”-to-1/2” drive adapter in addition to the socket. I finally found a 1 & 13/16” socket with 1/2” drive and ordered that one. The third and fourth images below show the socket and the packaging it came in.

So now I’m ready to install the new DEF filter, right? Well, not so fast. By sheer luck I came across a Mann Filters document that describes in detail the proper procedures for removing the old DEF filter (too late for me on those steps) and for installing the new DEF filter. An electronic copy of that document is included below. The installation instructions start on Page 9 of the document and continue through Page 12. Several things to notice:

On Page 9, note that the sealing O-ring on the DEF filter (not the O-ring on the DEF Filter Housing) is to be lubricated with DEF, not the BIOLUBE oil supplied with the kit or any other lubricating product. I put a small amount of DEF in a bowl, then dipped the head of the filter in the DEF just before installing it. Installation of the filter is as simple as positioning the open end of the filter (the end with the O-ring on it) over the protruding aluminum rod and pushing up solidly on the bottom of the filter.

Page 10 covers the procedure for installing the Frost Compensation Membrane over the DEF filter. No BIOLUBE oil is to be applied to the membrane until this step is completed.

Page 11 specifies where to apply the BIOLUBE oil on the membrane and on the pump housing threads. I also applied the BIOLUBE oil to the threads inside the top of the filter housing.

As a side note, the instructions and photos show a spray bottle of BIOLUBE oil, but what came in the kit I purchased was a small tube, similar to the tubes Loctite comes in. No big deal – I’m sure it’s the same light oil either way.

Page 12 indicates the filter housing should be torqued to 80 Newton-Meters, plus or minus 5 Newton Meters. Those numbers translate to 59 foot pounds, plus or minus 3.7 foot pounds. That seemed pretty darn tight to me, but I went ahead and tightened the housing to 55 foot pounds using my newly acquired 1 & 13/16” socket. From there, I fired up the engine, let it run for five or ten minutes, checked for any leaks and didn’t find any.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Any questions or confusion, feel free to ask!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts in DEF Filter Kit.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	334872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mann Filter U58-9 Kit Box.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	334873  

Name:	Sunex Tools Socket-1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	334874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunex Tools Socket-2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	334875  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mann U 58 9 DEF Filter Kit Service Manual.pdf (181.6 KB, 52 views)
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2021, 07:26 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Outstanding write-up and perfect timing with all of the failures happening, replacing the filter can't hurt. I'm ordering tomorrow. Thanks
Petek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #3

Something I should have mentioned in the original post is that I'm not sure the filter part numbers I quoted - Fleetguard UF106, Cummins 4388378 & Mann Filters U58/9 - are the applicable part numbers for all Entegra motorhomes or all motorhomes on a Spartan chassis.

In other words, different coaches may be equipped with different DEF filters. In my case, I thought I knew what kit I needed for our coach which has a Cummins X15 engine and a Spartan K3 chassis, but at the last minute decided to remove the original filter just to be sure.

Good thing I did or I would have ordered the wrong kit.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:02 PM   #4

Bookmarked.
Thank you for posting this. I have a spare and was wondering where it was located and how it should be replaced. If my head fails, I anticipated replacing both the head and filter. I am hoping I never gain that experience
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:23 PM   #5

Another point I should have mentioned is that I'm not certain the replacement of the DEF filter on our coach was all that urgent. We currently have a tick under 37,000 miles on the odometer and our K3 chassis was built four years ago in July 2017.

Meanwhile, this same DEF filter is rated for something like 275,000 miles on over-the-road trucks. But having replaced the original Gen 5 DEF head with a Gen 6 a few months ago, I figured it wouldn't hurt to replace the filter as well.

You guys can remind me of how smart this strategy was when Amy & I & Grover are stranded on the side of the road with another non-functional DEF head...
Old 07-06-2021, 07:25 AM   #6

Larry

You can bet a lot of money on the fact that we will

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:42 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Nice write up Larry. If it will help others, the 1 13/16 socket is the same size used to remove the flywheel off of outboard motors for those that may have worked on boats, they might have one kicking around. I still have one welded on a long breaker bar, don't ask the reason for that Marine parts houses use to sell those sockets. Also someone mentioned they found one at Lowe's https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-1...ket/1000600151
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Something I should have mentioned in the original post is that I'm not sure the filter part numbers I quoted - Fleetguard UF106, Cummins 4388378 & Mann Filters U58/9 - are the applicable part numbers for all Entegra motorhomes or all motorhomes on a Spartan chassis.

In other words, different coaches may be equipped with different DEF filters. In my case, I thought I knew what kit I needed for our coach which has a Cummins X15 engine and a Spartan K3 chassis, but at the last minute decided to remove the original filter just to be sure.

Good thing I did or I would have ordered the wrong kit.
Larry,

Your right. The Cornerstone (605hp) def filter looks nothing like the def filter on the rest (450hp) coaches.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Nice write up Larry. If it will help others, the 1 13/16 socket is the same size used to remove the flywheel off of outboard motors for those that may have worked on boats, they might have one kicking around. I still have one welded on a long breaker bar, don't ask the reason for that Marine parts houses use to sell those sockets. Also someone mentioned they found one at Lowe's https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-1...ket/1000600151
Chuck, I looked at our local Lowe's. They didn't have any sockets that big.

Interestingly, the socket pictured in the link you posted is a 1 & 3/16" not a 1 & 13/16". The description does say 1 & 13/16", but I'm virtually certain that is incorrect because all of the numerous 1 & 13/16" (and 46 MM) sockets I looked at online were significantly more expensive than $7.48.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Larry,

Your right. The Cornerstone (605hp) def filter looks nothing like the def filter on the rest (450hp) coaches.
Don, attached below is a two-page PDF file that includes photos of the three most common Fleetguard DEF filter kits - UF101, UF104 & UF106.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fleetguard DEF Filters.pdf (726.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Chuck, I looked at our local Lowe's. They didn't have any sockets that big.

Interestingly, the socket pictured in the link you posted is a 1 & 3/16" not a 1 & 13/16". The description does say 1 & 13/16", but I'm virtually certain that is incorrect because all of the numerous 1 & 13/16" (and 46 MM) sockets I looked at online were significantly more expensive than $7.48.
They did have more expensive ones listed. https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-S...ket/1000594217 I just linked that one to try to be helpful. Our area with a lot of outboard motors worked on, Lowe's may carry more tools that size. Probably not much demand in Phoenix
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
They did have more expensive ones listed. https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-S...ket/1000594217 I just linked that one to try to be helpful. Our area with a lot of outboard motors worked on, Lowe's may carry more tools that size. Probably not much demand in Phoenix
Chuck, we have a surprising number of boaters here in the Phoenix area! In fact I used to be one of them.

What I see happening at Lowe's, at least the ones in this area, is that they're phasing out the Kobalt brand of tools and moving to the Craftsman brand. And right now our local Lowe's doesn't have a particularly robust stock of either brand.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #13

Larry , The DEF Filter on your coach either because it's a 600 or a 2018 and different DEF Head system as Don said very different from the DEF Filter on our 450 / 2016 . The Part number I use at Freightliner is Cimmins # 5303604 , full list is $113.47 discount available by Counter Salesman .
Old 07-07-2021, 02:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Larry , The DEF Filter on your coach either because it's a 600 or a 2018 and different DEF Head system as Don said very different from the DEF Filter on our 450 / 2016 . The Part number I use at Freightliner is Cimmins # 5303604 , full list is $113.47 discount available by Counter Salesman .
Brian, as you can see in the image below (which I clipped from the PDF file I included with Post #10 of this thread), the Cummins 5303604 DEF filter kit is the same as the Fleetguard UF101 DEF filter kit.

The good news for you guys whose coaches have that filter is that there are compatible/less expensive kits available from Wix, Bosch & Donaldson. Unfortunately none of those aftermarket filter companies are currently offering a kit compatible with the DEF filter on my coach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fleetguard DEF Filters.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	335123  

Tags
ace, replace, replacement