Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2022, 08:10 AM   #1

DEF Head Failure - My Turn

I am selling my 2018 Entegra Anthem (down sizing a bit). RV Inspector was set to be here today (Monday) to go thru my 8,000 mile "Brand New Like" unit. Price fair for me and buyer, money all set to be wired, done deal, what could possibly go wrong? I decided to pull the rig out of the shop like 20 feet this weekend so I could finish waxing the drivers side with the Aero Cosmetics product. I highly recommend this stuff, makes the coach really shine! The CEL (Check engine light) pops on. Figured it was just a regeneration thing, as the rig has not been driven on the road much, just moved around my yard. Nope, after a few starts 3 codes:
SPN 1073 FMI 3
SPN 3364 FMI 9
SPN 1761 FMI 9
The top one is something about a short, the bottom 2 are tied directly to the DEF sensors failing. Just got off the phone with Spartan, they are sending the part to a shop here in Ft. Worth, appointment set for Thursday morning to be replaced.

I called several shops in the are, most about a week out, just a note about NIRV in Lewisville. They are NOT taking any new customers for service. They flat out told me NO. They only will work on coaches they sold. I guess I get it, but not a great way to earn new buyers if you ask me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220205_154237.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	355779   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220205_154243.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	355780  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220205_154248.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	355781   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220205_160418.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	355782  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2022, 08:41 AM   #2

Mr McNitt:

Very sorry to read your story, both for the DEF head problem and for the inability to get your unit into NIRVC. That is the first I have heard of that policy at NIRVC although I have heard about it from many dealers. I wonder if you are talking about emergency priority service into the shop?

The good news is apparently you are only going to be down for a couple of days unlike people this past summer who were told by Spartan that they would be "down" for months.

Keep us informed on this please,,,, very interesting development~!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:14 AM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcnitt View Post
I am selling my 2018 Entegra Anthem (down sizing a bit). RV Inspector was set to be here today (Monday) to go thru my 8,000 mile "Brand New Like" unit. Price fair for me and buyer, money all set to be wired, done deal, what could possibly go wrong? I decided to pull the rig out of the shop like 20 feet this weekend so I could finish waxing the drivers side with the Aero Cosmetics product. I highly recommend this stuff, makes the coach really shine! The CEL (Check engine light) pops on. Figured it was just a regeneration thing, as the rig has not been driven on the road much, just moved around my yard. Nope, after a few starts 3 codes:

SPN 1073 FMI 3

SPN 3364 FMI 9

SPN 1761 FMI 9

The top one is something about a short, the bottom 2 are tied directly to the DEF sensors failing. Just got off the phone with Spartan, they are sending the part to a shop here in Ft. Worth, appointment set for Thursday morning to be replaced.

I called several shops in the are, most about a week out, just a note about NIRV in Lewisville. They are NOT taking any new customers for service. They flat out told me NO. They only will work on coaches they sold. I guess I get it, but not a great way to earn new buyers if you ask me.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Ugh! Not the way I wanted to start my week! While I haven’t had a chance to dig into this this morning, I will state categorically, and very emphatically, we service ALL coaches! Period! Regardless of whether we sold the coach, or not.

On my watch service has, is, and will always be the hub of National Indoor RV Centers wheel! Of all of our revenue streams, none receives more focus, had more dollars invested in building systems, or do we desire to grow more, than we do service.

I apologize for the miscommunication, I will chase this to ground, and we will get it corrected post haste! This is simply NOT consistent with our mission, or our business plan.

Gmcnitt, please PM me your cell phone number, and I will personally make sure we make this right for you.

Onward,
Brett
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
BrettDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:36 AM   #4

PM Sent.....BTW..Not trying to get anyone in trouble here......
Old 02-07-2022, 10:04 AM   #5

Dumb/inaccurate answers sometimes have consequences.

Gary
Old 02-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDavis View Post
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Ugh! Not the way I wanted to start my week! While I haven’t had a chance to dig into this this morning, I will state categorically, and very emphatically, we service ALL coaches! Period! Regardless of whether we sold the coach, or not.

On my watch service has, is, and will always be the hub of National Indoor RV Centers wheel! Of all of our revenue streams, none receives more focus, had more dollars invested in building systems, or do we desire to grow more, than we do service.

I apologize for the miscommunication, I will chase this to ground, and we will get it corrected post haste! This is simply NOT consistent with our mission, or our business plan.

Gmcnitt, please PM me your cell phone number, and I will personally make sure we make this right for you.

Onward,
Brett
Good to hear, I count on NIRV for service on our Tiffin RED.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #7

Since Brett is on this you're more than covered. That said, if you can get your hands on sensor, it's a pretty straight forward swap, plug and play. The hardest part is removing the manifold that sits on top of the tank. I actually keep a spare def head on hand.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:30 AM   #8

FYI....Got a PM from Brett, The service General manager Eddie from Lewisville called me. This was all apparently a misunderstanding from a "trainee". Spartan has already shipped my part so too late to change anything.

Gary....

"Dumb/inaccurate answers sometimes have consequences."

So true! Still not trying to get anyone in trouble.....
Old 02-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Since Brett is on this you're more than covered. That said, if you can get your hands on sensor, it's a pretty straight forward swap, plug and play. The hardest part is removing the manifold that sits on top of the tank. I actually keep a spare def head on hand.
That air manifold was new for 21. Prior to that it was on the firewall behind the generator making the DEF head much easier to get to. I was told the reason they moved it was to shorten the air line runs tying to cut down the leaks.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:31 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Do you have CoachNet? If so, call them. They may be able to help.
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:49 AM   #11

Part came in yesterday, got delayed by Fed Ex one day. Fired the coach up this morning, by the time I got back in after verifying ride height, obstructions, etc.....all CEL (check engine lights) off, everything HAPPY. Brought it to the shop anyway, they are changing the DEF head now. Guessing the cold weather affected it somehow.....I do store it inside a garage so it never gets below 40 or so. Weird....
Old 02-11-2022, 08:05 PM   #12

GMCNITT

Just to be clear ...... what is the "part" that you received and are having replaced?

Is it the "DEF Head"? If that is it, what generation is it, and does it have then Generation marked on it (I have seen pictures with a paper label printed as a "Gen 7" unit)

Gary
Old 02-12-2022, 06:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
That air manifold was new for 21. Prior to that it was on the firewall behind the generator making the DEF head much easier to get to. I was told the reason they moved it was to shorten the air line runs tying to cut down the leaks.
Chuck, that manifold placement started for 2020. I had to tie it up when I changed my def probe last April. Not really a problem just a little more work.
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
GMCNITT

Just to be clear ...... what is the "part" that you received and are having replaced?

Is it the "DEF Head"? If that is it, what generation is it, and does it have then Generation marked on it (I have seen pictures with a paper label printed as a "Gen 7" unit)

Gary
The part number should start with 701 if it’s a Gen 7, which it definitely should be.
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote