Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 07:29 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
One more point.

I just got back from a 4,000 mile round trip from Louisiana to Dallas to Pennsylvania to Tennessee to Dallas to Shreveport, LA and here is an observation that I made. Frankly, until a few seconds ago, I never made this connection.

However, my observation was that there were damn few Entegra coaches seen on the interstates as I made this trip. I would guess that I saw 8 to 10 Freightliner chassis coaches (or some other proprietary coach frame ( e.g., the buys that build them themselves) for every Entegra we saw coming at us on the interstate.

This situation was so obvious that it was really clear. I always pay attention to coaches coming at me while driving. Over the years, Entegra's became more and more common to see on the road. Just before the COVID mess, I was surprised by how many classic and new style Entegras were being seen on the highway, but boy, Entegras were an absent quantity on the roads this time. It could not be ignored..... easily 8 to 10 non Spartan coaches (tag axle diesel pushers) were seen for every Spartan Entegra. I considered that since I was in NIRVC country, and I know that NIRVC employs as many as 7 drivers who do nothing more than move coaches from one of their facilities to where it might be sold more quickly or is needed for a customer (e.g. I-20) that this might be a sampling bias, but now I wonder if as lot of owners just are not willing to head out for their first big post COVID trip . If true, that is incredible SAD.

Spartan needs to get this resolved. The answer is in my post immediately above IMO.

Gary

Interesting and it matches my observation going from FL to MI and back, and especially interesting because I went to Middlebury and Charlotte so would have expected more Entegras. But what about Tiffin? They sell a high percentage of DP and many of them are on Tiffin Powerglide chassis. What do they use for DEF head and what is their experience? Since both Jayco and Tiffin now owned by Thor is there a possibility of technology sharing?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 07:33 AM   #30

Is Entegra Paying Attention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Please share any ideas besides the NHTSA Defective Product Division, that might work for other MH owners. So far in 5 years I have seen nothing but complaints, and no action from any entities.
After following all of these threads, I was wondering if any of the big boys (you know who you are) that stay on top of all things Entegra have asked or might know if Entegra has pressured Spartan to get a handle on this issue with Shaw. Or even change their supplier as has been suggested. Although I would guess that the length of time the radiator issue persisted that the answer is no. Since all of Entegra's class A's are on spartan chassis you would think there is some leverage there. Since Newmars luxury line is exclusively on spartan you would think they would be concerned also. I am reading posts where people are saying they would not buy another Entegra on a spartan chassis. A point to be taken!
roger8070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:01 AM   #31

Now that I know there aren’t ANY Def Heads in the inventory to bail me out while away from home base, I am dam sure not risking my machine becoming a brick at some far away place with no known possibility of getting it fixed.
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:07 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger8070 View Post
After following all of these threads, I was wondering if any of the big boys (you know who you are) that stay on top of all things Entegra have asked or might know if Entegra has pressured Spartan to get a handle on this issue with Shaw. Or even change their supplier as has been suggested. Although I would guess that the length of time the radiator issue persisted that the answer is no. Since all of Entegra's class A's are on spartan chassis you would think there is some leverage there. Since Newmars luxury line is exclusively on spartan you would think they would be concerned also. I am reading posts where people are saying they would not buy another Entegra on a spartan chassis. A point to be taken!
Personally, I have not had any feedback from Entegra but to pass it on to Spartan. When speaking with one of the upper management with Spartan, I was referred to Shaw. Shaw absolutely refused to return calls or reply to emails. It was the typical corporate catch 22 run around for over a month.This DEF fiasco has been my over "three strikes and your out" with Spartan. The next MH will be a step-down in size with a Freightliner chassis.

The NHTSA is not making any leaps forward that I can see, and we sure as hell don't have any RV representation that will be involved with a class action suit against the hands that feed them, plus the time it take to even begin to file one. None of the DEF Sensor plagued MH owners would probably never see the end of a class action. Again, where do we turn? I think most people purchasing new MH's have no clue that Spartan is selling inferior, problem ridden chassis. The salesmen tell them," this is the same chassis fire trucks are built on".....sold.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:56 AM   #33
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spartan's reputation has already been damaged. When I eventually get a DP, I have already decided it will be on a Freightliner chassis. Originally I was leaning towards a Spartan chassis. But this Spartan/Shaw DEF issue is nothing I want to be involved with. Even if Spartan has changed DEF head suppliers and has the problem sorted by the time I am ready to buy in a few years, their lack of attention to making immediate changes and get this sorted tells me that any future problems will receive the same lack of attention. Spartan has lost a potential new customer.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:19 PM   #34
aza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Interesting and it matches my observation going from FL to MI and back, and especially interesting because I went to Middlebury and Charlotte so would have expected more Entegras. But what about Tiffin? They sell a high percentage of DP and many of them are on Tiffin Powerglide chassis. What do they use for DEF head and what is their experience? Since both Jayco and Tiffin now owned by Thor is there a possibility of technology sharing?
I understand that Freightliner and Tiffin use different DEF equipment that is much less problematic. It is only reasonable that these related companies would share. However, when in Middlebury I observed hundreds of Spartan frames with more coming in every day. I assume that to change the DEF equipment would take months/years because they have to use their inventory first.
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a classic that seems to be outside of the Def issue at the moment...thank God. Reached out to Angie and considered trading up to an Anthem. Got cold feet and decided to wait the DEF issue out. We've become dissatisfied with Spartan's lack of urgency to correct the radiator and now Def issues.

After attending Brett's customer appreciation event in Ft Worth earlier this year, we're taking a stronger look at the Dutch Star on a FL chassis. Don't see Entegra as our next purchase.

Cheers!
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:06 PM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aza View Post
I understand that Freightliner and Tiffin use different DEF equipment that is much less problematic. It is only reasonable that these related companies would share. However, when in Middlebury I observed hundreds of Spartan frames with more coming in every day. I assume that to change the DEF equipment would take months/years because they have to use their inventory first.
Tiffin also uses Shaw DEF heads. Reports are their failures are just as bad.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Tiffin also uses Shaw DEF heads. Reports are their failures are just as bad.
Chuck, over the past couple of hours I’ve been inquiring among some friends who own Tiffin motorhomes and they’re saying the same thing – that they believe Shaw is Tiffin’s supplier.

With regard to Tiffin’s failure rate being just as bad as Spartan’s, see my comments in this post:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/can...ml#post5795823
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:55 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Chuck, over the past couple of hours I’ve been inquiring among some friends who own Tiffin motorhomes and they’re saying the same thing – that they believe Shaw is Tiffin’s supplier.

With regard to Tiffin’s failure rate being just as bad as Spartan’s, see my comments in this post:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/can...ml#post5795823
Thank you, it will be interesting what you find from your sources at Tiffin and if there are more failures with the Spartan Shaw DEF heads.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:17 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just posted similar on the Newmar forum.

I hit the DEF head issue and called it in to Spartan in May. Because I was 3miles from home I just parked here until resolved.

Today since I am coming up on the period where I need to start canceling/ changing my July reservations I called them for an update.

They told me they have no insight as to when they will receive the shipment of DEF units in August (could be beginning or end of the month). They also didn’t know how large the shipment would be.

I asked if K2/K3 chassis all used the same heads and the answer is that the chips are the same only the length of the hoses is different among the chassis.

They also told me there are a total of 20 customers currently on the list waiting on DEF heads and they are working them off chronologically.

However, they will still prioritize someone who gets stuck on the side of the road higher than those safety at home or in a campground. So number 20 on that list may get head #30 if there are 10 more failures on the side of the road.

Time to start canceling my July reservations…..

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:29 AM   #40

I was on the side of the road/parking lot/ I was fortunate to get a DEF head and continue my trip with my family. However, after speaking with SPARTAN let’s just DEF head is virtually the same as the last one they can’t tell me how long this one will last. So I guess every mile I’m on the road with my wife and family we’re at risk of breaking down again, my problem is SPARTAN has known I’ve had this problem for a long time and has allowed us to take the risks and our motorcoach is on the road. Total lack of respect as far as I’m concerned, that’s why I’m looking at trading then I paid for 2018 Aspire on anything on a Freightliner chassis, and I also agree the fact is we didn’t buy our couches from SPARTAN we bought them from Entegra so as much as I’ve enjoyed this coach and I’ve been treated great by Entegra I’m moving to a completely different product..... Newmar I guess will be first on my list to look at, although I know some of them are on SPARTAN chassis as well probably the ones I’d prefer🤷🏻.... but SPARTAN is not an option to me not so much that they’ve had a problem it’s just a total lack of respect after they knew they had one...
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:36 AM   #41

The new DEF heads are made by the same manufacturer, are we sure we can trust them? SPARTAN is not so how can we be?
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck58 View Post
The new DEF heads are made by the same manufacturer, are we sure we can trust them? SPARTAN is not so how can we be?
The current DEF head is a gen 7 version, and we have little if any data on their failure rate, but the track record is obviously poor. So, to answer your question, I would say, "NO," they cannot be trusted but there is no alternative.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote