RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2020, 11:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I tried that, Spartan would not send it to me. Said it was emissions and had to be done by Cummins while I was under warranty. Also the Cummins derate engine code has to be cleared by Cummins, a DIY cannot do that.

Jeanne do you know how the Tiffin owner got the Cummins codes cleared? My new DEF sensor still did not read until the codes were cleared, the tech had to do it twice. The first time the DEF gauge was still amber and CEL.
Unfortunately I didn't know enough about the problem to ask that question Chuck. He said it was a parking lot change out and that solved his problem. Maybe he caught it before it derated ??
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
Unfortunately I didn't know enough about the problem to ask that question Chuck. He said it was a parking lot change out and that solved his problem. Maybe he caught it before it derated ??
A couple of others have mentioned changing them them. It wouldn't be the first time I have received a different story from Spartan. On mine, Cummins did have to clear the DEF codes to get the gauge to work.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #17

hard to clear codes with all new components

I was not there but the tech that put together my new DEF system (pump ,lines, tank, sending unit, injector at the catalyst) had a bit of a time getting the codes to clear and get rid of the de-rate. He had to finally completely fill the tank with DEF and then go thru multiple short drives, clear codes, drive, clear codes, etc. He was not very complimentary of the way the system worked but it does seem to be fine now that a few miles and hours are on it.

Having some experience with sending units on gasoline an diesel tanks did not prepare me for the DEF unit. I'll have to do some research on how it works. It does seem to need some time soaking in the DEF to start working correctly. I have no idea why this would be, but? Mine would not start reading at all with 2 or 3 gallons of DEF in the new tank but starting working from what the tech said after he filled the tank and let it sit overnight.

I took it out for a 40 mile drive when I got the front frame fixed and shut it down several times and restarted and it all worked well. so much for that jinx, now.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:02 PM   #18

hijack

Talking about Spartan and DEF systems...… I was at the tow company shop that towed my coach into Cummins-Bridgeway. We got past the damage they did as they have bent over backwards to correct their mistakes. They let me bring the coach into their fab shop to fix the front cross member damage that trapped the generator in place and it is better than new.

They had a Spartan fire truck in the shop which they told me they had towed in 6 times for DEF related issues. Now it seems like something that disables a fire truck would get some attention at Spartan...????
Old 08-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
Talking about Spartan and DEF systems...Ö I was at the tow company shop that towed my coach into Cummins-Bridgeway. We got past the damage they did as they have bent over backwards to correct their mistakes. They let me bring the coach into their fab shop to fix the front cross member damage that trapped the generator in place and it is better than new.

They had a Spartan fire truck in the shop which they told me they had towed in 6 times for DEF related issues. Now it seems like something that disables a fire truck would get some attention at Spartan...????
I'm probably wrong but I thought emergency vehicles had built in overrides for derate issues.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:11 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is there any preventative measures that can be taken. I am paranoid about where I buy DEF and not long ago I syphoned the tank and filled it with fresh DEF because it was getting a little old.
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
So you were able to make the change without having the Cummins code cleared?
Yes, but since I could continue by filling the DEF tank maybe it just treated it as running out of DEF and not a Failure
Old 08-02-2020, 11:56 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
HAs anyone done a DIY head repair? With all this chatter, I am going to order one to keep on hand

In 2014 on our trip to Alaska the DEF head failed on our 2011 Tiffin Phaeton. We were able to drive to the camp ground (~30 to 40 miles) without being derated, Tiffin overnighted us a new DEF head and we replaced it at the campground ourselves. As was stated, on Tiffins the tank could not be removed. The actual change out was simple, (pretty much plug and play) but working in the space constrained area was a huge PIA. After replacing the head and refilling the tank w DEF the engine ran fine. (Until the EGR cooler failed, but thatís another story).
Grower15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:29 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Reading the other post on DIY DEF head repair........I wonder if the new digital dashes might be different? Like Al's, mine took two attempts at clearing the code to get the digital dash gauge to work. I only had 25 miles from the time the DEF sensor failed, not close to de-rating yet.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:31 AM   #24

Someone who is wrestling with this DEF head issue..... please find out how to tell the differences in DEF head generations or vintages..... We need to determine the codes or differing shapes so that we can tell what we have and what we get in the future.

Now, the simple level reporting problem for my coach was diagnosed as a DEF pump problem, not a sensor head problem. The level shown on the dash was not even close to the DEF level in the tank..... first patch was to just keep filling the DEF tank up to the top regardless of what level it was reporting and what level the tank really was..... That worked for 300-400 miles or so until I could get to a Cummins shop.

And I watched the Cummins tech do the repair and what he did was virtually all done at the bottom of the tank, not at the top to the best of my knowledge.... he certainly did not remove the DEF tank. That may well mean that that problem was different from a DEF head problem.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I detailed my DEF Head Issues on previous posting. I am still sitting on a campground on Schenectady NY. I arranged for Cummins Albany to come to campsite and work my coach check engine code (3364, 3301 and 1761) - which according to Spartan -- DEW Head Issue. Cummins will still have to call Spartan and order necessary head / parts. Cummins is charging me $162.50 hour for this service call. I would think that Spartan will reimburse me as this is a warranty issue.

I didn't want to drive my coach into Cummins Albany as I have already driven 219 miles since I received the codes and didn't want to temp fate and based on comments on this and other forums, I decided to remain in place.

Anyway, I am hoping to have some news today.

More to follow...
Chief55m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #26

I have been looking at the Cummins scan tools. I wonder if there is a scan tool available that would allow a diy to do the def head swap?
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:48 AM   #27

Nor'easters Club
While waiting for my 20 to be completed and shipped a year ago, this DEF issue developed. I contacted Spartan and they were able to verify , based on VIN, the 6th generation Was installed on my coach.
ditto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
While waiting for my 20 to be completed and shipped a year ago, this DEF issue developed. I contacted Spartan and they were able to verify , based on VIN, the 6th generation Was installed on my coach.
Is the 6th gen suppose to be more reliable?
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan