Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2020, 07:48 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
I am going to order a def head and carry it on board. Hopefully will never need it.
I have a scan tool on board so hopefully it’s as easy as a swap out and clear codes.

We will see.
What Scan/Reset tool did you get?
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
What Scan/Reset tool did you get?
This is what I am using

https://www.amazon.com/Scanner-Senso..._t3_B01CZLDP0S
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #59

Thats the same one I got about a month ago. I figure if I have it I will not need it...

Quote:
Old 08-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #60

Quote:
Thats the same one I got about a month ago. I figure if I have it I will not need it...
The way I look at it is if I have a scanner and def head on board my def head will last forever. This is how it goes when you’re prepared
Old 08-07-2020, 08:11 AM   #61

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newbie to diesel coach question. All I know about DEF at this point is to keep the tank filled. I have been filling it up at a truck stop about every other time I add fuel. No issues at this point that I am aware of.

I am not under warranty. I am not the original owner. 2017 Cornerstone coach.
How will I know if I have a problem?
Will this leave me on the side of the road?
What do I do if I have DEF head problem? Call Spartan to find out where to get my coach repaired?
Is the issue that these parts are failing often and you have to wait a long time to get the repair?
Any easy way to see if the coach I have now has had this problem or if I have generation 6 unit?
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFunlovers View Post
Newbie to diesel coach question. All I know about DEF at this point is to keep the tank filled. I have been filling it up at a truck stop about every other time I add fuel. No issues at this point that I am aware of.

I am not under warranty. I am not the original owner. 2017 Cornerstone coach.
How will I know if I have a problem?
Will this leave me on the side of the road?
What do I do if I have DEF head problem? Call Spartan to find out where to get my coach repaired?
Is the issue that these parts are failing often and you have to wait a long time to get the repair?
Any easy way to see if the coach I have now has had this problem or if I have generation 6 unit?

You should still be under the Cummins warranty. Did you register your motor with them? I think you can also call Allison Transmission and register with them. Depending on when the coach was first put into someones name, you might also still have Spartan coverage.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #63

Entegra Owners Club
After months of trying to figure out what was going on with my DEF system (several different error codes), I fell out of the warrantee period last Summer. Of course it was in the notes on my chassis number at Spartan. Finally, while at Cummins for service this Feb, I had them change the DEF head, with no promised support from Spartan...even tho the problem started while under warrantee. Needless to say, I raised a little Cain and was told no dice on reimbursement. No proof that it was actually the head. I proceeded on my own, $900 or so as I recall. So day two, Spartan calls back...if we ship to Spartan, they send to the manufacturer to do a post analysis. STILL WAITING ON THE RESULT!

Curiously, even though Spartan wasn’t sure that was the problem...new DEF head, my expense, no faults in 4800 miles. BTW, also got to replace the radiator same month. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to hold the RV manufacturers to fix class problems. Say what you will about Tiffin, they continued to fix their wet bay and delam problems WELL AFTER warranties expired!
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:36 PM   #64

In California you must get the DEF sensor done at an approved facility. You cannot register or renew your plates without the approved certificate and then snail mail it to the DMV. All I got from the DMV was a notice that recall XYZ must be preformed and at an approved facility and a compliance certificate returned with the renewal form. That left me with what is recall XYZ? I found it on a THOR recall page describing the DEF sensor to do with emissions compliance. That lead me to who is approved? Turns out their is a local Kenworth dealer that could do it. That being said, they told me that it is in a very hard to get spot that takes two hours to remove. Only then could you read its part number. They need the sensor part number to see if it is in stock. It is was the common one they had it. It was not. A bay area Cummins shop did have it and they got it installed in two days. There was a second recall notice that had to do with inspection of the windshield wiper assembly which my dealer did and the DMV allowed an electronic compliance sent into them like the smog test. Why one and not the other?
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:02 AM   #65

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Quote:
Smart Idea. I wonder how many DEF sensors error codes could be cleared enough to get to a repair facility?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:27 AM   #66

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:

Where do you plug this in at? Do I need to order any adapters, or will it work "out of the box" ?

Thanks.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:36 AM   #67

If everyone was to apply the Lemon Law and Entegra and all the other RV manufactures had to replace or refund the value of a new coach, this problem would be addressed at a different level. As long as we are silent, the problem will never be resolved.

Quote:
Interesting thought. The only problem is the new coach you would be getting will have the same crappy def head. On the other hand a new coach in place for you 2 yr old coach would help the pain a little bit.
billb3672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:45 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Smart Idea. I wonder how many DEF sensors error codes could be cleared enough to get to a repair facility?
Hopefully enough..! No experience with it yet thankfully...
Old 08-08-2020, 07:47 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Where do you plug this in at? Do I need to order any adapters, or will it work "out of the box" ?

Thanks.

The adapters that you will need are in the box. There is a 9 pin connector by your left foot in the drivers area. There is also a connector in the engine bay. I've not looked for that one but its there.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:04 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I have a buddy that’s been using this scanner for a while. He said he hasn’t had a code that couldn’t be cleared yet.

The 21s have the 6th gen def head so I am hoping the issue has been fixed. If not I can install my spare def head clear the codes then be on my way. At least that’s my plan

Tags
spartan