Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2023, 06:02 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
@Florida Rang, do an internet search for “DefSim” and follow the link to the DefSim.myErVin.cơm site. On the DefSim web page Click on the “Build It” link on the right hand side of the page. Read the introduction and then select the link to the instructions for using the RP2040 board. Flow the step by step instructions found at the RP2040 link.
The process is 1. Order the hardware 2. Assemble the hardware 3. Download the software onto a Windows PC 4. Follow the instructions to install the software onto the hardware.
That’s really all there is to it. Just FYI the “assemble the hardware” part is really just soldering a 4 pin connector to the board then stripping 4 wires and inserting them into the connector. Then drilling a hole for passing the cable into the enclosure and securing the assembly in the enclosure. The entire assembly and programming of the system should take less than 30 minutes
Any questions or problems just leave a comment on the DefSim website and someone will respond.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2023, 10:11 AM   #44

Well, it finally caught up with me. DEF head failure on a Newmar Dutch Star 2021 with Spartan chassis. 24,000 miles, now in the middle of New Hampshire waiting on the part and a mobile unit to fix it. Fortunately made it to our campsite but our 2 month trip is being set back a few days. Very disappointing.
jefftaylor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:20 AM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftaylor2 View Post
Well, it finally caught up with me. DEF head failure on a Newmar Dutch Star 2021 with Spartan chassis. 24,000 miles, now in the middle of New Hampshire waiting on the part and a mobile unit to fix it. Fortunately made it to our campsite but our 2 month trip is being set back a few days. Very disappointing.
You did good, my 21 made it all of 1,500 miles
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:46 AM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

I live in NH, and when my DEF head failed, it was "Cummins Sales and Service" at 12-1 Integra Drive in Concord NH did the initial troubleshooting and replacement. I was pleased with their timeliness, communication, and quality of work.

They aren't mobile, so you'd have to figure out a way to get your coach there. But I've tried multiple times to get NH mobile RV techs to come to me, and no matter what the problem is, I always get the same answer: "Sorry, we don't work on that."
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 12:26 PM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schad View Post
I live in NH, and when my DEF head failed, it was "Cummins Sales and Service" at 12-1 Integra Drive in Concord NH did the initial troubleshooting and replacement. I was pleased with their timeliness, communication, and quality of work.

They aren't mobile, so you'd have to figure out a way to get your coach there. But I've tried multiple times to get NH mobile RV techs to come to me, and no matter what the problem is, I always get the same answer: "Sorry, we don't work on that."
Spartan has been good about connecting with a CoachNet Tech and having the DEF head changed on site......all covered under warranty. The have replace many at owners RV sites if a service center is to far away to risk going into derate.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
Old 08-08-2023, 06:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Of course, the failure happened on Friday afternoon, and Spartan doesn't ship on the weekend, but they have shipped the part overnight yesterday, arriving today at TMS Diesel North. They
will be coming later this week to the campground to install. Coach-Net has done a really good job on this, it is appreciated.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:47 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Of course, the failure happened on Friday afternoon, and Spartan doesn't ship on the weekend, but they have shipped the part overnight yesterday, arriving today at TMS Diesel North. They

will be coming later this week to the campground to install. Coach-Net has done a really good job on this, it is appreciated.

Glad it will be resolved. Had to get our replaced too. I am curious what role Coach-Net is playing in this for you? Did you have to get towed? I may have missed that above.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 05:14 AM   #50

Apparently Coach-Net handles Spartan's on-the-road RV emergency service. They found the mobile repair people and arranged for them to deal with the situation. They have been in touch a couple times a day to follow up as well.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:31 AM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Easy solution, carry a DEF simulator, to quote American Express, "don't leave home without it". It's not "if" a DEF head failure will happen, it when. I have purchased two new coach, both had DEF head failures in a short time after delivery.

Archer2 , the site is down this morning, I was going to link, but can't
Old 08-25-2023, 09:05 AM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Huge thanks and kudos to the DEFSIM deveopers! Just about to complete building a DEFSIM (waiting on the cable) to carry in our 2021 Cornerstone. Haven't opened the wiring bundle yet to find the connector but seems straightforward. So far, so good, we're at about 37K miles with no issues. (Hope this doesn't jinx us)...

The DEFSIM site instructions are very well written and easy to follow. Many thanks for all the effort that went into developing it.

Called the local Cummins service center yesterday and confirmed they have the "configuration" software patch but won't install until the DEF head failure.

Safe travels everyone.
High2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 04:29 PM   #53

Just lost our 3rd DEF Head. So frustrating and it's not under warranty so we have to pay about $2500 to get it fixed. Lost them in 2020,2021,2023
4zebras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:02 PM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zebras View Post
Just lost our 3rd DEF Head. So frustrating and it's not under warranty so we have to pay about $2500 to get it fixed. Lost them in 2020,2021,2023
Have you filled a complaint with NHTSA? Maybe one of these days it might get someones attention if enough people complain. I filed two reports on the two that went out on my 19 and 21.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:37 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zebras View Post
I think the issue will be solved in a class action suit that attacks the merchantabilty and fitness for use under uniform commercial code.

The NHTSA will probably do nothing unless there are wrecks directly attributable to a DEF sensor failure. The agency tends to deal with failures that cause bodily injury, death, or catastrophic road/bridge failure.

edit ps: I think it would be great if another regulatory agency could find relief for affected owners but I don't think it will be a safety agency. I'm not discounting the inconvenience and potential for consequential loss, but that safety regulatory agencies seldom deal with 'potential' for loss.
Old 11-05-2023, 05:35 AM   #56

Can the def simulator be left in permanently? Does anyone have a part number for the Gen 7 head? My coach is a 2018 so I don't think it would be covered under warranty.
Evo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test