Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2023, 06:05 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
DEF heads, what's the latest?

I haven't seen much about DEF heads lately. Does that mean the problem is under control? Is there a new DEF head that is reliable? If so, are people changing to it proactively to avoid breaking down under bad conditions, or are they waiting for the axe to fall and changing only after a failure?
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2023, 06:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I haven't seen much about DEF heads lately. Does that mean the problem is under control? Is there a new DEF head that is reliable? If so, are people changing to it proactively to avoid breaking down under bad conditions, or are they waiting for the axe to fall and changing only after a failure?
Make the bypass module and hope for the best, so far so good with the generation seven.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:14 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Marc, it's been almost a year since my DEF head failed on my '18 Anthem while enroute home from Florida. I called Spartan about 4PM on the day the failure was displayed (CEL and SPN codes). 16 hours later, a replacement arrived at a Cummins service center that was 45 miles farther along my route toward home. I delivered the coach to Cummins about 10AM and the replacement was complete about 3PM. The replacement was a Gen 7 DEF head with no expense to me for the warranty covered failure.

I'm not suggesting that everyone has experienced such little inconvenience, merely reporting what my experience was.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. I still carry my DEF head simulator...just in case.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:50 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My DEF head failed last summer. But it was because the valve from the engine radiator to the DEF tank had failed open. That caused my DEF head to eventually fail from overheating.

My DEF head is made by Errecinque. I have not heard of any failures with them other than mine.

Spartan got me in quickly and replaced the valve and DEF head the day I brought the coach to them.

My understanding is the Shaw DEF head is not entegchanable with the Errecinque without changing the DEF tank as well. The same DEF head emulator works to bypass an Errecinque DEF Head just like it does a Shaw.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
It appears to be much, much less of an issue than 2 or 3 years ago. I kind of look for posts about DEF sensor failures and over the last 9-12 months I don't recall reading of a new failure here at iRV2. Some worried inquiries, but not much in the way of fresh reports.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:01 AM   #6

Def head sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
It appears to be much, much less of an issue than 2 or 3 years ago. I kind of look for posts about DEF sensor failures and over the last 9-12 months I don't recall reading of a new failure here at iRV2. Some worried inquiries, but not much in the way of fresh reports.
I just got stranded for 3 days because the sensor went out on my 2019 Entegra reatta. Sparten paid for sensor and 3 hours work. I paid out of pocket 1100.00. They should have a recall on those and get some that works.
Peg McManis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 02:10 AM   #7
WDW

Peg - wasn’t it all warranty? Where did the $1,100 charge come from? If you don’t mind sharing.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 06:35 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg McManis View Post
I just got stranded for 3 days because the sensor went out on my 2019 Entegra reatta. Sparten paid for sensor and 3 hours work. I paid out of pocket 1100.00. They should have a recall on those and get some that works.
Spartan has the business practice they do not issue recalls on anything until request by the NHTSA. A campaign was started to the NHTSA for a recall, but that fell of deaf ears. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/def...sa-518276.html

Marc, from talking to those that have the Generation 7 and on by the new company, there has not been the problem. As mentioned by Ambetter, build the Emulator and travel on. After assembling a couple of the units, I am convinced that the components in the Emulator are better than generation 1 through 6 DEF sensors. I would not be afraid to finish a trip on an Emulator and replace the DEF head after getting home.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 06:58 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
In October my DEF header failed when pulling out of storage heading out on a long weekender. I hooked up my DSS (thanks to others on this forum). The DSS worked flawlessly. It even filled up my DEF tank to 3/4 for free (lol). Called Tiffin, took it to Cummins, it was covered under warranty. The DSS was well worth the little money and effort to build. I was able to go on my short trip and also drive it to Cummins without a derate. Tiffin indicated the DEF header I was getting is an improved version. So far so good (knock on wood).
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 07:19 AM   #10

my 2014 anthem left me on the road stranded on a x mas trip..

def head was bad and it wouldn't read the def level and thought it was empty

there for computer put it in limp mode..

got towed to a flagstaff arizona shop

cost me 3 grand and about a month of down time..

seems to me every one is at risk for this happening,,

its happening to a broad spectrum of years it seems
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 10:12 AM   #11

My 2022 cornerstone DEF head failed at 4,000 miles. Got a replacement the next day
Old 02-11-2023, 10:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsayler View Post
My 2022 cornerstone DEF head failed at 4,000 miles. Got a replacement the next day

Do you know what generation DEF head was on your coach?
greysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 11:23 AM   #13

There is a new Italian (if memory is correct) manufacturer of DEF heads which have largely seemed to work pretty well and have partially, or fully, resolved the "lack of availability" problem.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 02:12 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Spartan has the business practice they do not issue recalls on anything until request by the NHTSA. A campaign was started to the NHTSA for a recall, but that fell of deaf ears. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/def...sa-518276.html

Marc, from talking to those that have the Generation 7 and on by the new company, there has not been the problem. As mentioned by Ambetter, build the Emulator and travel on. After assembling a couple of the units, I am convinced that the components in the Emulator are better than generation 1 through 6 DEF sensors. I would not be afraid to finish a trip on an Emulator and replace the DEF head after getting home.
Chuck,

Keep in mind that neither Marc or I can build a def simulator and use it on our vintage of coaches. It is designed for the newer systems that also sample fluid quality.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
test