Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2021, 07:19 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferdj View Post
I have a 2018 Tiffin Breeze w/ the Cummins 5.0. Have had no problems to date, hope it stays that way.
Your best way to check is to call the chassis manufacturer and ask them. My guess is you have a gen 5.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferdj View Post
I have a 2018 Tiffin Breeze w/ the Cummins 5.0. Have had no problems to date, hope it stays that way.
All the problems I’ve seen have been on Freightliner and Spartan chassis with ISB and larger engines. Since yours is a Powerglide chassis with an ISV, it most likely has a different system and probably can’t be compared to the problematic ones, which is to say a given gen # of one of the above probably wouldn’t apply to yours. Your system may still be on Gen 1 - something to research.

As an example, I don’t know of any Mercedes or Ford diesel DEF system issues. Not to say there aren’t any - I’m sure there are, but I haven’t heard of them. My advice is to be picky about you DEF, buying product that is not timed out (less than 1 year old) and has been stored in proper conditions (preferably around 70F or less). Also check your DEF filter maintenance interval and consider accelerating that schedule, especially if the coach sits for several months at a time.

Have you heard of DEF issues with the Cummins 5.0? Anyone?
Old 02-05-2021, 06:16 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
DEF filter change

I changed my filter at 50K. It was dirty and starting to collapse.
floteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I had you in mind, Chuck.

Recently, I had to have a starter replaced by a mobile service truck and I asked the mech about the volume of DEF issues he sees. His primary customer base is the OTR crowd, but he said the problem is pervasive across all platforms.
It is. The emission diesels are awful, all makes. I wouldn't own any post-2007 diesel on a bet.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:40 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
It's at the bottom of the tankon our Anthem. There was a post a couple months ago
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/def-filter-512882.html

if I copied it correctly, that goes into more detail.
The DEF filter is not at the bottom of the DEF tank. It’s not even associated with or part of the DEF tank. The DEF filter is part of the DEF pump/dosing module.

Here’s the manual, for the dosing module on the Anthem, showing the DEF filter. Not sure about the Cornerstone, but I’m sure it’s similar to the Aspire and Anthem.

https://dieselusa.com/productinfo/bo...heavy_duty.pdf

The module on our Anthem is a Bosch part as seen in the attached pictures. You can clearly see the cap for the filter in the pictures.

I’ve got just under 50K miles and 5yrs on our Anthem and will be changing the DEF filter soon. Looking at the pictures, you can clearly see that this will be a very easy DYI project.....Sorry about the rotation of the pictures, but you get the picture.....No pun in intended....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210205_105936.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	317221   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210205_110005.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	317222  

Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:04 PM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the correction. I was going by memory of previous posts, obviously a dangerous thing to do! Sorry for the misinformation.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:43 AM   #49

So, it is under the grey cap?
Old 02-06-2021, 06:18 AM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
According to the link in post #47 it is a Cummins part. If so, why is everybody putting the blame for their problems on Spartan?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:42 AM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Not all DEF tanks and filter location are created equal. on the 19 Cornerstone I was looking at the DEF filter cover on the bottom of the tank as I was draining the bad DEF fluid that attacked my DEF sensor. (high ammonia content) There have been a few changes to the DEF system, including six generation of DEF sensors. Why not change filter location from year to year? So far they have not come up with a proven system.

Here is photo post of Gasman's showing the location on his earlier Aspire under the coach. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/def...ml#post2701987
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:32 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
So, it is under the grey cap?
Bill - Go to post #47 and click on the link for the manual of the DEF pump/dosing module. Once open, scroll down to the picture showing the module and the filter. You’ll see the cap and the filter break down.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by floteb View Post
I changed my filter at 50K. It was dirty and starting to collapse.
That’s interesting - how old was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
The module on our Anthem is a Bosch part as seen in the attached pictures. You can clearly see the cap for the filter in the pictures.
I’ve got just under 50K miles and 5yrs on our Anthem and will be changing the DEF filter soon. Looking at the pictures, you can clearly see that this will be a very easy DYI project
Much more accessible than on my Freightliner system - mine is mounted on the rear of the tank at the bottom - accessible, but not as. Nice pic! As a word of caution, I would change the filter annually - a bosch filter is only $40. I would also avoid the cheap chinese knock-offs. Just asking for trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
According to the link in post #47 it is a Cummins part. If so, why is everybody putting the blame for their problems on Spartan?
The SCR system is a chassis component. That’s why a Cummins shop told me “not our problem” and why Freightliner has been doing the work - most emissions warranty work falls on the chassis manufacturer. So each chassis builder is responsible for any emissions systems other than what comes on the engine from Cummins. This includes the entire SCR/DPF/DEF conglomeration.

Also the Cummins supply and dosing modules listed are applications, but they have a Bosch part number. Interestingly my last issue was a bad supply module and Freightliner replaced it under the emissions warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Not all DEF tanks and filter location are created equal. on the 19 Cornerstone I was looking at the DEF filter cover on the bottom of the tank as I was draining the bad DEF fluid that attacked my DEF sensor. (high ammonia content) There have been a few changes to the DEF system, including six generation of DEF sensors. Why not change filter location from year to year? So far they have not come up with a proven system.
Somehow I missed “high ammonia content” as one of the many issues affecting these systems. Thanks for repeating this.Does the refractometer detect it somehow? By showing a high reading?
Old 02-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Somehow I missed “high ammonia content” as one of the many issues affecting these systems. Thanks for repeating this.Does the refractometer detect it somehow? By showing a high reading?
That information was given to me by Shaw Industries the manufacture of the Spartan DEF heads. I would "guess" the refractometer would not give a 32.5% or better reading as bad as my fluid was. I could not stay under the coach while it drained the fumes were that strong. I didn't need a recractometer to smell how bad the DEF was. I now own one to never let the DEF get that bad again.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #55

I just changed out my def filter yesterday. Only have 39,000 miles on the coach but its coming up on 6 years old.

Its an easy process. The grey cap on my classic is on the bottom behind the tank. No def is lost in this process. I'll have to say though, the tool that comes with the filter, I found to be useless. I ended up using a screw driver to break the suction.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
The DEF filter is not at the bottom of the DEF tank. It’s not even associated with or part of the DEF tank. The DEF filter is part of the DEF pump/dosing module.

Here’s the manual, for the dosing module on the Anthem, showing the DEF filter. Not sure about the Cornerstone, but I’m sure it’s similar to the Aspire and Anthem.

https://dieselusa.com/productinfo/bo...heavy_duty.pdf

I’ve got just under 50K miles and 5yrs on our Anthem and will be changing the DEF filter soon. Looking at the pictures, you can clearly see that this will be a very easy DYI project.....Sorry about the rotation of the pictures, but you get the picture.....No pun in intended....
Paul, here are your photos rotated to the intended orientation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210205_105936-Rotated.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	317380   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210205_110005-Rotated.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	317381  

LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote