Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
DEF issues again!

I steered my last post off topic so I'm starting a new one. After having my DEF head replaced last Friday we drove about 900 miles total with a stop in Lajitas, TX for a few days. Arrived in Las Cruces, NM Tuesday. I had to do some work on a jack so I started the engine Wed morning and got a check engine light again! This time it was just the 1761 error code and the DEF gauge showed all four green lights AND the red light signaling low to out of DEF. I had about 1100 miles on a full tank of DEF so at least 2/3rds of a tank is left and the last time I drove three green lights were showing up.

Called Spartan and was advised to have a Cummins service shop look at it saying now the issue might be the gauge. I have that appointment Friday. Shane at Spartan did have me disconnect the wiring to the DEF head for a half hour to see if it would clear up to no avail. I don't believe in coincidences much so I'm not sure what to believe here, maybe the Cummins folks can clear the problem...we'll see. Has anyone had these symptoms?

I did file a complaint with the NHTSA this morning, have not received an acknowledgement yet.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 01:56 PM   #2

WOW....I'm sure sorry to hear you're having these issues. Every time I start my coach, I worry if mine is next.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:23 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, the 1761 code is the DEF level code. When I had the Nexus 102P code reader it did clear that code. I was told by Cummins that it is not an EPA code and can be cleared with any Cummins type code reader. However, they mentioned that was one of the starting of DEF head problem codes, but not one that will de-rate the engine. When the 3031 code follows, that is the problem code.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Chuck! I should have asked more questions, i assumed it would also de-rate in time. Hopefully the Cummins folks will be able to clear it tomorrow.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 01-28-2021, 03:45 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
Thanks Chuck! I should have asked more questions, i assumed it would also de-rate in time. Hopefully the Cummins folks will be able to clear it tomorrow.
The 1761 is not a de-rate code, but it does mean the DEF sensor is not working. Will it clear and be OK?, maybe. Will it continue to go into fail mode.....that would be my guess. Once they start, reboot doesn't seem to fix them. If it was my coach and I just had the DEF sensor replaced, I would want it replaced again with a known working unit.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #6

Gary,
Are you sure the replacement def head was a gen 6?
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Yes. I took a pic of the tag. And they left it on.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 01-29-2021, 12:02 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Well we got on the road to visit Cummins and 2 miles down the Interstate the check engine light went off and the DEF gage went back to normal. Pulled over stopped the engine, waited a minute, turned the key to on, watched ALL the lights go off including check engine, started back up. No problems.

Called Spartan, Dave said it may come back or not but watch it. As we were talking I remembered that on Wednesday when the error first showed I had for some reason, after my normal routine of waiting for all lights to disappear before starting, turned the key off and immediately back on and started. That's when the check engine light came on and the 1761 code showed up.

I ran that sequence by Dave and he said that COULD have been the problem, but to keep an eye on it. Here's hoping my eyes see no check engine light!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 01-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
Well we got on the road to visit Cummins and 2 miles down the Interstate the check engine light went off and the DEF gage went back to normal. Pulled over stopped the engine, waited a minute, turned the key to on, watched ALL the lights go off including check engine, started back up. No problems.

Called Spartan, Dave said it may come back or not but watch it. As we were talking I remembered that on Wednesday when the error first showed I had for some reason, after my normal routine of waiting for all lights to disappear before starting, turned the key off and immediately back on and started. That's when the check engine light came on and the 1761 code showed up.

I ran that sequence by Dave and he said that COULD have been the problem, but to keep an eye on it. Here's hoping my eyes see no check engine light!

What is your next destination? I'm not sure if I would be cautiously optimistic or overly concerned. I am hopeful that the gen 6 is the answer. I bought a spare just in case my gen 6 craps the bed
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:22 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
We're headed to Benson, AZ outside of Tucson and Camp Verde after that. All Interstate and sure to be Cummins service shops around.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 01-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I have been getting the 1761 level error all the time now since replacing the Gen5 to a Gen6. Seems nobody knows anything and there is no rhyme or reason as to why it comes or goes. Thinking about getting a gasser! Haha.
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, it was a quick start at the alignment shop the blew my DEF sensor. No reason they should be that sensitive. An accidental quick start is going to happen, no way around it, and we know the techs at the shops are going to quick start them. I just hope the Gen 6's are not as sensitive as the Gen 5's were to quick starts.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:13 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
I have been getting the 1761 level error all the time now since replacing the Gen5 to a Gen6. Seems nobody knows anything and there is no rhyme or reason as to why it comes or goes. Thinking about getting a gasser! Haha.
On the one hand that makes me feel better, on the other hand it shouldn't be like that! Gassers have catalytic converters...
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 01-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Gary, it was a quick start at the alignment shop the blew my DEF sensor. No reason they should be that sensitive. An accidental quick start is going to happen, no way around it, and we know the techs at the shops are going to quick start them. I just hope the Gen 6's are not as sensitive as the Gen 5's were to quick starts.
I'm just hoping this was a quick start that temporarily confused the sensor :-)
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)