Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2021, 05:52 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
DEF issues - Cummins and EPA contact info

Just came across this article regarding the DEF issue that many of you are having and thought I'd share.

If this was already published, the mods can whack this thread.

I don't have this issue on mine, but you can bet that I'd be sending an email to everyone listed at the bottom of the article.

Enjoy

https://www.rvtravel.com/stuck-def-s...l-cummins-epa/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #2

Excellent article....

I know that everyone is conveniently blaming the "supply chain problems on availability of chips" for the problem, but let me remind you all that there are 6 previous generations of the Shaw Industries DEF Head that did not work either and at least 3 or 4 of those failed designs were foisted off on the motorcoach community months or years before the COVID pandemic produced supply chain problems...

This is NOT SIMPLY SUPPLY CHAIN problems. That is a convenient excuse that let Shaw, Cummins, Spartan, and Entegra all off the hook. Keep in sight what the real source of the problem has been.... Everyone of those companies has had their head in the sand trying to act like its not their problem, and pointing their fingers at some nebulous "nothing" entity (Asian chip manufacturers.... Bull crap....!!). What baloney !!

Not one of those groups has made any official statement of their concern and involvement and acceptance of responsibility, and the steps that they have taken to resolve the problem or compensate their customers for the problems they have endured. Until we see that, it is just more BS.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:24 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Gary. I don’t have any special inside info about these sensor failures but I’ve been paying close attention and doing lots or research. At this point I would be willing to bet that if we ever find out definitively what the root cause is that it will turn out to be one or a combination of the following things:
Something changed around 2016 in the design of something in the larger DEF system and/or in physical proximity to the sensor causing operation outside of the sensors design limits. Might be temp, might be electrical (different connector, different assembly procedure) and/or wherever the internal components of the sensor were sourced, especially the CANBUS transceiver chip and the CANBUS driver chip, started supplying components that no longer were meeting specs (accidentally or on purpose). For example, I recently bought (from Amazon) an OBD scanner tool that looked exactly like the Nexas NL102P, but cheaper. It would not connect to any vehicle. Dead right out of the box. I sent it back and ordered the real Nexas which worked perfectly.
My point is that it can’t be a coincidence that the same part from more than one independent manufacturer starts failing inexplicably at the same time in the same way. And this after at least 5 years of failures being a vanishingly small number. And that these failures would all of a sudden show up in Spartan, Freightliner, Powerglide and International (plus more like Volvo in the OTR segment) chassis. Just my gut feeling.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:43 PM   #4

Archer2, what "changed" in 2016 was that the EPA decided that simply making sure something was in the def tank wasn't good enough.

Those nasty truckers are sure to cheat!

Effective with the 2016 model year, manufacturers were required to monitor the quality of the def, not simply the quantity as required previously.

And since truckers that put water in the def tank deserve all the hardship the EPA can dish out, they made this a derate error.

It's this new quality sensor that's causing all the trouble. ( The new sensor head that includes all 3 sensors)

And somehow, this new system is catching us, not because we cheat, but because the sensors themselves are failing.

Sent from my moto z3 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hey there, ‘Knight. I thought that myself but just because I heard it or read it somewhere but when I try to find a definitive source for what model year the EPA 1st started requiring DEF quality sensors I cannot find it. Do you have an sort of link or document? I’m not doubting that you are right but I just can’t find it. Thanks
Old 08-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
And, of course I found it as soon as I posted the above. Here’s a link to what I found…
https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/displ...d=31221&flag=1
That certainly does qualify as a change that took place in 2016.
Remember though that the nature of the error is that the sensor just goes dead and stops transmitting anything. It is not the case that the DEF quality sensor reports a DEF quality fault. The symptom is that all 3 sensor systems, level, temperature and quality simply stop working all at once. Unless the addition of the ultrasonic quality measurement sensor somehow introduced a physical defect that allowed DEF to get into the housing and kill the CANBUS electronics or the microcontroller, I don’t see any way that including an additional sensor could cause a problem that fits the symptoms. It is a heck of a puzzle.

Tags
cummins