RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2020, 09:07 AM   #1

DEF level during storage

Ok wise guys and gals,

I have read that fuel tank should be full when stored but what about the DEF tank? Why? Any difference between summer and winter?

2Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2020, 09:27 AM   #2

You would think the same logic applies to a def tank though they are quite a bit smaller than a fuel tank and should produce significantly less condensation. One thing to be aware of is that def does freeze so I would not fill it to overflowing to allow for expansion. However I have a trailer and the def is on my truck so it never sits for long without being used.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I store mine as low as possible. Two reasons, if I have to drain it becasue it sat to long, it's easier. When I am ready to travel after six months filling the DEF tank with fresh DEF is better than chancing with old DEF.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #4

def has a shelf life

def has a shelf life . it goes bad over time even in the factory sealed jug.
once it is put in the rv it goes bad faster . leave it low and top it off in the spring with fresh
n2587n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I store mine as low as possible. Two reasons, if I have to drain it becasue it sat to long, it's easier. When I am ready to travel after six months filling the DEF tank with fresh DEF is better than chancing with old DEF.
X2.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
From either Spartan or Entegra...Fuel full and DEF empty.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I store mine as low as possible. Two reasons, if I have to drain it because it sat to long, it's easier. When I am ready to travel after six months filling the DEF tank with fresh DEF is better than chancing with old DEF.
These are my thoughts as well. Third reason, it can freeze so it would leave plenty of room for expansion. Fourth reason, as mentioned it does have a shelf life.

I couldn't find anything that addressed DEF levels. So I thought I would run it by the group here.

Thanks!
2Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #8

I asked my RV dealer this question. Fuel high and DEF low for storage. Also told me to pull my DEF tank down before refilling. Keeps fresher DEF in system. Prior to this I was always topping my DEF tank off. Now I run down to below half tank and then refill.

He also recommended not to buy Walmart DEF.....which I used to do....the cheapest they had.

As pointed out earlier, DEF has an expiration date, freezes and think about where you store it. Was told poor quality DEF can cause issues with DEF system. Having had to do major repair of my DEF system, I am sensitive on this one.

Luckily a Buc-ee's was opened close by and has some DEF pumps in diesel bay. So I am not regularly buying containers of DEF anymore except for back up..
BeachedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachedTiger View Post
I asked my RV dealer this question. Fuel high and DEF low for storage. Also told me to pull my DEF tank down before refilling. Keeps fresher DEF in system. Prior to this I was always topping my DEF tank off. Now I run down to below half tank and then refill.

He also recommended not to buy Walmart DEF.....which I used to do....the cheapest they had.

As pointed out earlier, DEF has an expiration date, freezes and think about where you store it. Was told poor quality DEF can cause issues with DEF system. Having had to do major repair of my DEF system, I am sensitive on this one.

Luckily a Buc-ee's was opened close by and has some DEF pumps in diesel bay. So I am not regularly buying containers of DEF anymore except for back up..

I have to agree. My coach had to sit in storage all of last year through a hot FL summer. I have about a 1/4 tank of DEF. It will be drained and fresh added before the coach is used. Why take a chance for $3. worth of DEF. If the drain is to hard to get to, my clear siphon hose will do the job.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #10

Do you late for me I have stored my coach fuel tank and my DEF tank full.... Iím in North East Ohio coach is stored inside, but, how do you drain your DEF tank?
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck58 View Post
Do you late for me I have stored my coach fuel tank and my DEF tank full.... Iím in North East Ohio coach is stored inside, but, how do you drain your DEF tank?
Donít worry about it, itíll be fine unless you plan on leaving it longer than 6-8 months.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:27 AM   #12

If you don't have to worry about freezing, then I really don't think that you will have any problem unless the coach is unused and stored for long periods of time. My understanding is that DEF lifespan is 12 months.... so typical storage duration is no problem for most owners.

However, best to store low level and then fill mostly with brand new DEF. I have always used WALMART DEF and have never had any problems with it. If you look at the label DEF is DEF.... (it is all the same) it has to have exactly the same level of Urea (32.5%) in it by government regulation. The ONLY problem with Walmart DEF is that there have been reports of people buying the jugs, emptying them, then filling them with water and returning the water to the store for credit. Walmart now uses a better seal on the container to reduce the chances of that. Also, you can purchase a reflectometer (Amazon = ~ $13) specifically to measure urea concentration to guarantee that you don't have a problem. The new EFS diesel price system has changed me from a confirmed truckstop avoider to a truckstop diesel purchaser so I will eventually use truckstop DEF for the first time. Never done it before.

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage