Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2020, 04:55 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Not trying to be political, but we can thank a 2016 government regulation for the new DEF sensor problems. EPA passed a regulation that nobody can manufacture successfully. Now we will have 4 year period with more new regulations as the "green new deal" starts to rear it's head. What I wouldn't give to put the pre 16 DEF heads back in, they worked just fine with no pollution.
Just think of how much money Spartan could save by giving a $20. refractometer with each coach to test DEF concentration, rather than replacing $700. DEF sensors that do not work, and in some cases going to replace them twice. JME

Tim, it is a shame we are now on generation 6 of the new DEF sensors, 5 model years since introduction, and we now have to plan trips with expensive MH's around routes with repair facilities, becasue nobody can get it right. I have had 2 generation 6 sensor fail in less that 2,000 miles.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2020, 05:42 AM   #30

Too bad we can’t just unhook all this Def crap and give the engine a new brain then roll in peace. [emoji23]
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:41 AM   #31

Those days are gone

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:08 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Going sideways from original post, but like Chuck, we are scheduled at Cummins tomorrow for a small oil leak. That is on an L9, not Chucks X15.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Fox View Post
Hayman
I hope I don’t have use for your recommendation and we usually avoid DC, but might be worth taking 95 this time. Well actually be closer to you than Chuck. We’re out 17 towards Arcadia next to Sunnybreeze golf course.
Tim, we cut over from 81 to 66 to 17 and pick up 95 at Fredericksburg.

Cummins in Savannah , Ga is also excellent as we got towed there in our Allegro Bus .

Are you at Thornton Creek ?

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Brian
Usually 81 to 77 and 26 to 95. Trouble with that is/was Charlotte. Most of Charlotte construction is done so much better recently. Might try 66, 17 this year. Will be something new and yes, we are at Thornton Creek. Golf course is nothing spectacular, but it is just outside your door. Looking forward to getting south.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Chuck,
Sorry for the delay in posting back, Saturday and Sunday got busy. From looking at the codes you posted in the inactive comm failure has got me intrigued. I don't know but would like to see if you can get a date /time for that code as well as the others. If that failure is just prior to the other it may just be part of the problem. Taking thoughts from one of the previous def threads, this is all reported on voltages back to the ecm. What I wouldn't give to know the specs and ranges for the outputs. I know the level is a variable that if it does not change over time it will throw a code. Temp should be a hi/low range, quality I'm not sure about. Yes I would also like to know what the code reader a says and if it can reset the codes. Cant wait to here what Spartan and Cummins has to say.

JP
jwprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #36

I'll throw this in just because I don't think that I have ever read about this problem.

Within the past month, I got an amber DEF code thrown on the dash which indicated that the DEF tank was empty. However, the DEF tank was obviously almost full. My dash display looked a lot like yours, but the code was different. My code went away but the dash stayed amber for a while and then went green before I could get to NIRVC to have them look at it. Since I was still ~220 miles away from home, I was not inclined to try to drive the coach back home..... that amber warning could have turned to a clear de-rate code and then a shut down code and I always try to avoid any chance of being towed (lots of damage generally done when being towed).

Anyhow, many conversations between NIRVC and Spartan/Cummins and they said that the classic DEF HEAD failure was well known to generate 3 classic codes (previously reported and I don't remember what they are) and since my code was different and went away after time, they felt it was not a bad DEF head. Several more conversations with Spartan and Cummins and someone came up with the idea of replacing two relays that are located in the circular relay/fuse box right behind the DEF tank and there had been some problems reported by other owners that were resolved by replacing those two relays which they felt was associated with reported low or out of range voltage readings. NIRVC happened to have those (or equivalent) relays and replaced them, and I have now driven about 1,000 more miles with no further problem. I did not bring up the relays earlier in this thread because my problem was similar, but not identical to the OPs, but now I raise it for the OP's and other owners to file away in memory.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
On the phone with Mike at Spartan this morning
Going over the codes and corrective measures I have already tried. The DEF sensor is DOA a new one is being sent to Cummins.
On the 21 the DEF head plug is behind a new location of an air manifold so I did not try that reset
Mike also mentioned he didn't think the code reader would clear the codes. I will try to remember to ask Cummins when I take it in. In addition Mike was not sure if my chassis built date of 11/19 has a 6th generation DEF sensor or not.
Long story short, 21's are not exempt from DEF sensor problems
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
I’m messing up original thread, but my oil leak turned out to be a dip tube leak. Dip tube is apparently installed by Spartan so I had to consent to Cummins repairing dip tube leak. Who whoulda thought. I don’t have all the details as this was just a phone conversation.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Going over the codes and corrective measures I have already tried. The DEF sensor is DOA a new one is being sent to Cummins.
On the 21 the DEF head plug is behind a new location of an air manifold so I did not try that reset
Mike also mentioned he didn't think the code reader would clear the codes. I will try to remember to ask Cummins when I take it in. In addition Mike was not sure if my chassis built date of 11/19 has a 6th generation DEF sensor or not.
What code reader are you using?
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Fox View Post
I’m messing up original thread, but my oil leak turned out to be a dip tube leak. Dip tube is apparently installed by Spartan so I had to consent to Cummins repairing dip tube leak. Who whoulda thought. I don’t have all the details as this was just a phone conversation.
I had the same problem and Spartan replaced the entire tube under warranty. I had noticed a few oil drips on my pad at home then noticed the oily, dirty mess at the end of the tube. Spartan even cleaned up the mess on the block.[emoji3]
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:42 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Chuck, if your chassis build date was 11/19 I’m pretty sure you have the Gen 6 def probe. My 2020 chassis build date is 08/19 and my def head is Gen 6.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Chuck, if your chassis build date was 11/19 I’m pretty sure you have the Gen 6 def probe. My 2020 chassis build date is 08/19 and my def head is Gen 6.

Mine was the very first 21 built and it has the gen 6.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote