Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2017, 08:03 AM   #1

DEF Part II

I was reading the DEF Fill thread, and only one person talked about using the new driver's side DEF fill at truck stops. My question is, how do you keep from over filling the DEF at a truck stop or is that not an issue?
hbatwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The pump cuts off when tank is full.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The OP in the other DEF thread had a 17 Anthem with DS fill option and I also found it interesting that most were talking about filling with 2.5 gal containers and funnels?

I've only filled the DEF tank once and filled at a Flying J truck stop. Did not use the auto shut off (if it had it did not notice) just put in 6 gallons (tank was showing 1/2 empty), then went around and looked at the tank to see if it could take more. Put in another gallon and stopped.

Do not like the idea of using the auto fill for the DS fill. The tank is on the PS so there is a long fill hose going over to the DS for that fill. It may be just me but I'm not comfortable having that hose full of DEF. With a 15 gal tank if it is a little less than full no big deal.

DEF at truck stops cost less and is available at almost all I've seen in addition to being easier to fill (for rigs with DS fill option). Sometimes I get fuel at Pacific Price commercial fueling and many of those now have DEF. Recently downloaded a Pacific Pride app that shows location, DEF availability, and indicates if location if big rig accessible (most are).

The only downside for filling at a Flying J or Pilot TS is that fuel is somewhat more. The one time I did fill with DEF only needed about 25 gallons of diesel and filled anyhow because of wanting to fill DEF.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The DEF nozzle is just like a gas nozzle. It has auto shut off. The only difference is the diameter of the nozzle. I have filled up many times with no overflow. The only issue is the fill on my coach is all the way in the back so I have to fill with diesel and then pull up making sure my compartment door where the fill is clears the fuel island.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #5

We fill the DEF on the DS at truck stops and have not had a problem. The pump stops when its full. Yes, we do have to pull up to reach the fill point but its still much more convenient (for us) to fill that way then to haul the 2.5 gallon jugs. We do however carry one jug as a emergency spare and use it and replace it with a fresh one every trip.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #6

Yeah, not a problem for us unfortunately..

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Yeah, not a problem for us unfortunately..

-Matt
No drivers side fill on the Aspire chassis? Its the same as the Anthem isn't it?
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #8

There are a few Aspires that don't get the dual fill due to layout. Our 44R is one of these.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote