Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #1

DEF remote fill

There has been a couple discussions on here about filling DEF from remote fill on drivers side. I have filled mine twice from the remote fill and each time when it shutoff the DEF level was right at the full line. So at least on our 2020 the remote fill will not overfill the DEF tank.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 06:03 PM   #2

JH

I think that you know that until a year ago, I rarely have ever used truck stops because of the screwing we got on price. But after the EFS card, I have been patronizing truck stops exclusively, and probably for the last 5,000-8,000 miles or so, have used only the truck stop DEF and feed it through the driver side remote DEF fill point. I have had no problems with DEF fill level or system failure. I did have a DEF pump replaced at Cummins south of Boston but that was before I started using truck stop DEF.

I find it very easy to do. The toughest part of the whole process is judging when the DEF fill hatch is right beside the pump. The DEF fill hose is not the easiest to manipulate and I try to get the DEF fill right beside the pump. I started out asking Dee to go back and signal me when I am right at the correct position, but now I can usually hit it right just using the mirrors.

I have had no overfilling problems using the driver side fill port. So far, I have "become a believer"....and I stop at whatever truck stop has the best price.... I have no allegiance. I will patronize any major company that has the best price!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:35 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for that update J.H.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Agree 100%. I've used the drivers side fill for over 40,000 miles. No problems. I keep a jug of Wally World DEF for emergencies and make sure to use it and replace it every six months.

Gary I still have Phyllis stand out and guide me, the mirrors have no depth perception accuracy.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use trucks stops as well. I fill up on the drivers side for diesel and def.

I park, get out and fill the diesel, then my DW pulls the coach forward until I ask her to stop, then I fill the DEF. I have not had any overfill issues with DEF. So far so good. I don’t add any after the pump cuts off.

I have had overfill issues with diesel. My coach is a 2017 and the diesel fill port is down low. I see on the 2020’s that has been moved up higher and maybe that fixes the overfill and spill issues. I try to clean up the diesel from my coach with paper towels and water.

The other thing I have leaned is truck stops are dirty. I try to clean my shoes with a couple of paper towels as well. Or at least clean them off on some “clean” concrete at the truck stop.

Like Gary, I have no brand allegiance. We look for a truck stop right on our route when we get under a half tank and feel like stopping.

I have to do some reading on the EFS card.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #6

If your interested, I did a short video on my experience using the EFS card. At the end I wrap it up showing my savings using the card my first 4 times. However back then, Flying J was still giving a discount and they don't now.

https://youtu.be/jKR54DYzXgc
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:20 PM   #7

Hal

Read up on it. It is worth Doing. Set up a separate checking account, maybe even at a neutral bank, that you can electronically transfer money into quickly and then use that account as the debit account for the EFS card.. I keep maybe $1000 to $1500 in that secondary account.

Most of us save 50-80 cents a gallon using the EFS system. Well worth the attention!

Gary
Old 09-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Set up a separate checking account, maybe even at a neutral bank, that you can electronically transfer money into quickly and then use that account as the debit account for the EFS card.. I keep maybe $1000 to $1500 in that secondary account.

I guess I don't understand all of the paranoia around letting someone debit your checking account. In order to access the ACH system companies have to jump through all kinds of hoops and even then, to the best of my knowledge, the bank originating the transaction is on the hook if the transaction is fraudulent. Are there some horror stories of which I am unaware? Inquiring minds want to know!
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #9

Let me put it this way. I keep enough untethered money in my checking account that I don't let anyone debit from it without me being the person that does the authorizing. So, as a simple measure of security, I feel better having a separate checking account where I let others do debiting. Even on that account, money cannot be transferred out of it.... only into it, and there is no direct connection between the accounts.

I don't trust anyone else's security steps. Just my way of reducing risk. I keep most of my money in disconnected piles in disconnected institutions.

You are free to trust as many organizations/strangers as you want...

Gary
Old 09-23-2020, 11:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Let me put it this way. I keep enough untethered money in my checking account that I don't let anyone debit from it without me being the person that does the authorizing. So, as a simple measure of security, I feel better having a separate checking account where I let others do debiting. Even on that account, money cannot be transferred out of it.... only into it, and there is no direct connection between the accounts.

I don't trust anyone else's security steps. Just my way of reducing risk. I keep most of my money in disconnected piles in disconnected institutions.

You are free to trust as many organizations/strangers as you want...

Gary
Gary, that's the most eloquent terminology I've ever seen to describe buried coffee cans and stashes under pillows!
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:27 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I guess I don't understand all of the paranoia around letting someone debit your checking account. In order to access the ACH system companies have to jump through all kinds of hoops and even then, to the best of my knowledge, the bank originating the transaction is on the hook if the transaction is fraudulent. Are there some horror stories of which I am unaware? Inquiring minds want to know!
Here is my reason, my CC card got hacked at Lowe's with false charges being made. Target got hacked and hundreds of thousand were compromised. Here is the best one, Equafax, the credit reporting agency just got hacked and they put me on a credit watch as I was in the suspected compromised group. After my experiences, why would I leave money in an account that cash can be transferred, with no bank protection if I don't have too? I don't use debt cards either for the same reason, good luck getting bank protection once someone has got the cash out of your checking account.

It is so easy to put everything on one fraud protection credit card, the with one key stroke, pay the card from my bank protected account at the end of the month.
Is there any guarantee that ACH won't get hacked like Equafax, Target and many others have?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #12

We also have a separate "RV" account. Not because we're concerned about hacking, but it is a easy way for us to budget. It contains all of our travel funds for fuel, rv payment and overnightimg. We also have an entertainment account, home expense/modernization/mortgage account, vacation account, and everything else account. I also have almost all my regular bills set up to auto bill my CC (I get travel miles that I use on vacation, if we ever get to do that again). Of course I don't have much money in any account so a hacker isn't getting much. My info was also included in the Equafax breech and have had some fraud issues that were all resolved by the banks quickly, so I fully understand wanting to be careful on who has access to what! But I think what we're doing is pretty normal, right?
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #13

Ya really gotta go some to keep in front of Larry B. ..

Gary
Old 09-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post

The difference is in how fraud is handled. If your credit card is fraudulently hit, then you are probably on the hook for something like $50 while the credit card company sorts everything out. It's in their bast interest to get the money back as fast as possible.

If you debit card/checking or saving account is fraudulently hit, then that money is gone until it is worked out.

Given these scenarios and the possibility of being wiped out, which would you rather face... being out of $50 while the fraud is investigated, or having all of the money that was taken being unavailable to you while the fraud is investigated? This is why independent accounts are set up for things like this. If that account is fraudulently "cleaned out", at least it's not your savings.

EDIT: It's not just fraud, the same wait can apply to purchase disputes. When you dispute a credit card purchase, nothing is held against you while the dispute is investigated/handle. When you dispute a debt card purchase, you're at the mercy of when the disputed decides to return the money.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote